AMD or Pentium

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
philly5118

AMD or Pentium

Post by philly5118 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:07 pm

What are your views?

Does AMD match up to the Pentium 4s out now?

Speak your mind!
--------------------------------
ninepm.tk

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:55 pm

Get a Pentium.

You *may* get a better value performance out of a non-Intel CPU, but the risk that a non-Intel CPU will give you problems (as they do in some audio applications) would be too great for me.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:39 pm

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=34827

Don't listen to the AMD is just cheap crap. Go with the AMD Athlon64 3400+. For audio AMD is the better choice. Read through the link above and see for your self.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:01 am

Anonymous wrote:Don't listen to the AMD is just cheap crap.
Talkin' 'bout me? :D

Don't get me wrong, I think AMDs are great, and typically offer better performance for the money. But occasionally non-Intel solutions cause problems for audio intensive applications. If you get an AMD system that's built for audio applications, though I'm not sure I've ever seen one (draw your own conclusions) or an identical AMD system to someone whose system's working fine with the hardware and applications you want to use, then you should be fine. If not, you'll be taking a risk. It's probably a tiny risk, but it's up to you whether it's worth it.

I'm sure Anonymous's AMD system is great, but his (or her) next may not be. I speak from bitter experience of using non-Intel chipsets (though not actually AMD processors) for audio. I'll only buy pure Intel for audio systems now.

dpel

Post by dpel » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:48 am

i've been using an AMD 3000+ with an ASUS board.
no problems. fast, stable reliable.

dp
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

gaspode

AMD

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:12 pm

I've got an AMD 2500 XP... it smokes my Intel systems....

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:19 pm

Last edited by montrealbreaks on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaspode

If somebody can afford a P4 EE...

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:32 pm

If somebody can afford a P4 EE I would really hope they'd spend that money on something other than the chip. It is such an outrageous price... yikes!

I do sort of agree with you though... even looking at just intel chips it is entirely unclear which is the 'right' choice. Do you go celeron... mobile... centrino... they've obviously all got their pluses and minuses, but the clock speed is quickly becoming entirely irrelevent to any 'better' discussion.

Just look at the new Centrino processors... a 1.5Ghz chip can perform equivalent to a 2.0Ghz+ P4... Intel has already commited to moving their chipset process to their mobile line because they are finding that the Mhz Myth they've been creating isn't selling chips anymore.

The future looks to hold processors that work smarter, not harder.

Still... none of this helps somebody who just wants to know which way to go... and it is hard for anybody to give a good answer one way or another... and as you've noted... hard disk... memory... the entire system is just as important as the processor.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:42 pm

Remember all those millions Intel spent telling everyone how great PII
was? Remember how the chip had problems?

Well....

All that time AMD has been spending all their money on R&D. It's word of
mouth that has made them big.

Cheaper and better, only really badly coded non-standard practices poor
programmers write stuff that doesn't work on them and I'm yet to find
one of these programs. Chances are anything that doesn't run on AMD
also won't run with certain hardware or the next version of windows.

Get the BEST motherboard you can find to match your CPU.

-Ben

spidergeek

amd heats up

Post by spidergeek » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:14 pm

amd heats up much more than a p4 cpu.so the performance of a pentium is much better compared with an amd of the same speed .
but to get the same performance than a pentium with an amd cpu you need to get a faster cpu(30% to 40 %) and underclock it.like that it heats up less.
on laptops,manufacturers tend to underclock to excess on amd because the cooling system of a laptop is very poor & the cpu tend to heat up much more.
the performance is without doubt affected by this on amd compared with pentium.
in theory pentium is better than amd , practicaly it's up to the use you make of it & how you set up the clock of your cpu.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:11 pm

amd heats up much more than a p4 cpu.so the performance of a pentium is much better compared with an amd of the same speed .
but to get the same performance than a pentium with an amd cpu you need to get a faster cpu(30% to 40 %) and underclock it.like that it heats up less.
on laptops,manufacturers tend to underclock to excess on amd because the cooling system of a laptop is very poor & the cpu tend to heat up much more.
the performance is without doubt affected by this on amd compared with pentium.
in theory pentium is better than amd , practicaly it's up to the use you make of it & how you set up the clock of your cpu.
What is said above is not true at all! In fact it's the opposite when comparing the P4 to the Athlon64.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:20 pm

So what if it's hotter? That doesn't mean it's less performance... If
anything it means it's more heat per unit of performance.

Sure ok given, for a laptop I'd be looking at the new desktop replacement P4's....

However in desktop... who cares about heat if you've got room for any
one of a thousand cooling solutions.

Not to beat their drum or anything.... but I think this new bit sums up
AMD vrs Intel pretty well....

When Intel made a new cheap chip for the low-end market they created
from the ground up a crappy slow bused cheap chip called the Celeron.

When AMD wanted to compete in this market they took their best chip
and just removed some of the cache thus making the Duron.

-Ben

timwheeler

AMD yes!

Post by timwheeler » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:35 pm

I just upgraded my Athlon 1200 to an Athlon 2400XP factory processor. It came with a super quiet fan and it cost me $87 bucks.

It screams. I could have bought the faster one, but that would have meant a new motherboard and new ram. Current one has 266MHz bus.

I'm running ProTools with Live and Reason and haven't found a limit yet. I'm sure I will. ProTools message boards have no mentions of any probs with AMD. Incompatibility seems to be a thing of the past. My 2400XP seems to run cooler than my 1200 did.

Incidently, I've been in AMD's Austin plant. Nice operation. High-Tech and a real underdog mentality that tends to make me want to see them succeed. They are the reason we don't have to pay $400+ for all Intel CPU's anymore.

Tim