Wal-mart 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Wal-mart 8

Post by LOFA » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:28 pm

Wow. So Logic 8 is what 7 should have been. It would make sense for a serious hobbyist to pick it up and have around. Maybe even a pro.

It's messed up though that apple has done what it had to do. It will sell many more macs this way since the cracks are everywhere. It will also drive down sales in other apps.

The good news is that this should encourage specialty software like Live to focus on what makes it unique. I feel that it has had mixed success with trying to be the all-in-one solution and it would be great if they took their inventiveness and pairing with C74 to do with technology mash-ups what they did with audio ones.

Logic 8 means everyone is a pro now. I am hoping that Live will compete with the angle of maintaining a cutting edge on interactive, realtime performance. I question if the investment in equaling logic's production tools is worthwhile.

My fingers are crossed.

Meanwhile, I have zero emotional response towards Logic 8. It is the wal-mart of audio apps. It'll get her done, for a hidden price.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:24 pm

make it a sticky!!

Homebelly

Re: Wal-mart 8

Post by Homebelly » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:43 pm

LOFA wrote: Meanwhile, I have zero emotional response towards Logic 8. It is the wal-mart of audio apps. It'll get her done, for a hidden price.
this is a stab at irony,, right :?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:47 pm

hmm - well i sort of agree that apple is no longer the innocent little startup that ableton probably still is.. but ill put up an argument for fun. .

i think Logic still has alot of integrity, as far as applications go:

-they continue to include the Environment, where you can really get in there and mess things up.

-the thing is super stable - i have to say, more stable than Live.

-the phasing out of an xskey adds a bit of class to the program too (though youre right, you gotta buy some hardware anyway!)

i guess calling it walmart makes it sound cheaper (not just more inexpensive - lets not confuse those!) than it is.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:55 am

Homebelly wrote:
LOFA wrote: Meanwhile, I have zero emotional response towards Logic 8. It is the wal-mart of audio apps. It'll get her done, for a hidden price.
this is a stab at irony,, right :?
Nope. I don't see any irony. This could be cause I usually feel either excitement or frustration when I think about apps I have invested money into. In this case I feel neither. I mostly made this post because I try to do a little bit everyday to make the world better for myself and others.

I mostly want to draw attention to my opinion that the best way of thinking different right now is not by giving your money to apple.

Even though it's an amazing product, and Emagic are/were hot.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:02 am

LOFA wrote: I mostly want to draw attention to my opinion that the best way of thinking different right now is not by giving your money to apple.
...and save it for live 7 8O

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:09 am

swishniak wrote:hmm - well i sort of agree that apple is no longer the innocent little startup that ableton probably still is.. but ill put up an argument for fun. .

i think Logic still has alot of integrity, as far as applications go:

-they continue to include the Environment, where you can really get in there and mess things up.

-the thing is super stable - i have to say, more stable than Live.

-the phasing out of an xskey adds a bit of class to the program too (though youre right, you gotta buy some hardware anyway!)

i guess calling it walmart makes it sound cheaper (not just more inexpensive - lets not confuse those!) than it is.
You got me. I am trying to cheapen the image of logic by drawing attention to the fact that it is no longer an innocent little start up. This is important too. Apple asks for little to join but they will ask for $ before they dish out important bug-fixes (under the guise of updates and upgrades). And, with less actual commitment to the software (other than a means to convert people to macs, again, my opinion) there stands less room for innovation or consistent maintenance.

Basically Logic went from being prohibitively expensive to a watered-down approach for enthusiastic hobbyists and professionals that do not require Protool's smoother Audio-handling. Meanwhile Live still has the market cornered on performance devices (though for simple uses, mainstage is nice) and will hopefully excel in that direction through their unity with C74.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:11 am

Hervé wrote:
LOFA wrote: I mostly want to draw attention to my opinion that the best way of thinking different right now is not by giving your money to apple.
...and save it for live 7 8O
Exactly! 8)

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:16 pm

maybe you're thinking too much and just need to make some music, that's what it is all about. use the tool that works best for your paticular individual needs. right now everyone is caught up in sensationalism and it doens't make any sense. there are actualy people who think you cannot make professional music with Live, all over the place people are talking about how logic is pro and live is not..... :roll: even though there are professional albums made everyday with both apps.

it's really as simple as this, if you use the application that is best for your music you will simotaneously be supporting the right people that (YOU) should support, and you will be making music. these are tools nothing more

they are not your family
they are not your religion
they are at best your career or hobby or art TOOLS
they do not accept your Love.

if we would just make some damn music everlything would all sort itself out
put your money and your energy where your music is. problem solved
for the love of Live

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:27 pm

I own both. I'm in the middle of a collaboration. I allowed to communicate my ideas, right?

Go make some music.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:24 pm

LOFA wrote:I own both. I'm in the middle of a collaboration. I allowed to communicate my ideas, right?

Go make some music.
I found your statement offensive. That's all.

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:32 pm

hey man maybe i said something wrong I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend you, please accept my humble apologies, I have nothing against you expressing yourself in the least. I was just trying to put some thoughts out there.

peace
for the love of Live

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:17 am

::mic-minimal:: wrote:hey man maybe i said something wrong I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend you, please accept my humble apologies, I have nothing against you expressing yourself in the least. I was just trying to put some thoughts out there.

peace
Damn. I better put that Alpha dog in me back on a leash.

I misread your post during a brief lull in a collaboration. Basically my collaborator was sending me a file and I made the mistake of checking an email. I read your post with half attention and misunderstood your intent. I thought it was:

Stop being sensational and make some music. I still don't completely understand how your advice relates but I am giving it the benfit of the doubt until I have time to fully absorb it. In the meantime I can't so for now an apology will have to do.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:35 am

I read the post. I see your message and its relevance. I would suggest being mindful of how a rectionary foru poster might be when you post something to the tune of go make music 8O

I wanted to share my encouragement for not using Logic because it is a mixed bag. audio forums are a place for people that obviously make music to discuss audio related things when they are taking abreak from other activies in their life such as potentially making music. At times like these I sometimes like to share observation and insights.

Both of our insights are valid.

Client just "changed their mind" on me, so I am

A) in a bad mood
B) have to make a revision on immediately so I can get some &#&@(*& sleep tonight.

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:19 am

no problem man, we're all just trying to work it out, my opinion is just where i'm at right now, and you're right this forum is for discussing these things thanks for the reminder.
for the love of Live