***Logic Studio released today-includes new MAINSTAGE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
exaltron

Post by exaltron » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:17 pm

LOFA wrote:
Still laughing...

I know what you mean, I made the mistake of getting into Logic after Live. It seems like all of my workflow tendencies made Logic crash. I'm talking Bjork doing dishes after a long line of Pixie-stick powder kind of crashes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilKTuHF_C0
ow, my sides are hurting!

"..are you Icelandic or retarded?"

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 pm

I like how Logic now includes functionality that has been in Fruity Loops for years.

In FL there is a dashboard feature where you can put knobs and buttons and dials and whatnot all on a custom interface to have your own control layout. Also completely skinnable.

I missed this at first when starting with Ableton until I realized one of the reasons Ableton is so cool. The goal is not to have this custom "live" arrangement of knobs to click on, the goal is to actually perform electronic music.

With Ableton you map all your performance controls to a cheap USB controller and there is no need to have a visual representation of it all on one screen. The idea is to be able to STOP staring at your computer screen and start actually performing. This whole mainstage thing just reinforces the "i look like i'm checking email" idea.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:41 am

Last edited by drewbixcube on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:17 pm

talking of student discounts -

dawsons in manchester are offering the full package to students for £150 - half price!

I'm getting to grips with logic at uni and not particularly enjoying it so far. but for £150 and a year and a half of logic lessons to go I may just take the plunge. Nice thick manual to bore myself to sleep with on the bus

furrybum

Post by furrybum » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:48 pm

atch out with educational discounts. i had logic 6 on edu discount and when I bought the upgrade for logic studio it turned out I couldn't use it as you can't upgrade from the educational version.

Didn't know this when I got it. Ended up needing to buy a copy of logic 7 on ebay. Still worked out slightly cheaper than buying the full version and sold my copy of logic 6
Macbook (An old white one...WITH FIREWIRE!!!!!)
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

http://www.myspace.com/darklightuk