***Logic Studio released today-includes new MAINSTAGE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:58 am

Tarekith wrote:I got REALLY lucky. Nebulae sold me Logic 7.23 for $250, and with the $200 upgrade still cheaper than the new version. Otherwise I doubt I'd even care to be honest. Live is a wicked app, don't want anyone to think I believe otherwise. I'll play with L8 cause I'm curious, but my CD is still being done entirely in Live 6.

I just hope that the L8 price finall makes the Abes realize that their instruments are way over-priced, something many people have been saying for awhile.
as SJ pointed out, they dont have the benefit of a mega-power corporation to cut the prices so drastically, but I dont think they can ignore it

personally I'm not entirely satisfied with arranging in Live so the idea of arranging in Logic with Live slaved seems very appealing now more than ever

especially as I cut my teeth on logic before they even did audio and only left when they shafted PC users

poverty will prevent me from making that jump though, so instead I'll stay here and moan at them about how much arranging and automation in Live needs fixing

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:17 am

forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:3d is is so out of date.

I hear that Live 7 is all in 4d
the box it arrives in is a tesseract

and, even better, Live 8 is in 5d. All the infinity of outcomes of the musical decisions you make are there already before you even think about buying it. you simply collapse the state vector for the outcome you want. Or you can achieve mystical enlightenment and contemplate the begingless endless trance you nearly made.

see, now how advanced does Logic 8 seem?
not so attractive now is it!
:lol:

I dont make music any more

I merely sit.
Yes, but who will collect on damages for all of the infringed patents that are inadvertantly crossed over by unconscious will in action...:?:

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 am

forge wrote:poverty will prevent me from making that jump though, so instead I'll stay here and moan at them about how much arranging and automation in Live needs fixing
Hot. Can I be treasurer of our new club?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:53 am

LOFA wrote:
forge wrote:poverty will prevent me from making that jump though, so instead I'll stay here and moan at them about how much arranging and automation in Live needs fixing
Hot. Can I be treasurer of our new club?
sure. We can use Monopoly money

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:03 am

forge wrote:personally I'm not entirely satisfied with arranging in Live so the idea of arranging in Logic with Live slaved seems very appealing now more than ever

That's why I went out and bought it. I'm a songwriter, not a DJ, and I love using session view to layout my ideas, but being able to do that and then use Logic to arrange it gives me that oft talked about boner. Plus all the extra good crap everyone else has already spewed about on here today. Which thread am I in?? :?:
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:08 am

Tarekith wrote:I got REALLY lucky. Nebulae sold me Logic 7.23 for $250
And with that kind of cash, I was able to get 2.5 copies of Band-in-a-Box 2007.5.

unklmic

Post by unklmic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:33 am

forge wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
personally I'm not entirely satisfied with arranging in Live so the idea of arranging in Logic with Live slaved seems very appealing now more than ever
Please explain why you would want to slave Live to Logic? I can understand the other way round (which is not possible), but Operator, Simpler, Impulse and Sampler don't really add much to what Logic already has?

Just curious?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:23 am

I'd slave Live to Logic just to have my non-Apple loops synced up, I don't really see the need to do it the other way around. Proof we all use tehse tools differently :)

unklmic

Post by unklmic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:40 am

Ableton is lightning fast in syncing loops, but when you add the time of setting up the the Ableton Slave, not to mention extra computer resources consumed, and the fact that Ableton uses realtime processing, would it not be better to apply offline processing within Logic, which should give better results?

I would love to be able to slave logic to live, and use all Logic's instruments and effects in session view!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:35 pm

8O

amazing - I kind of want a mac now (again)

$499 is pretty awesome deal on all that software - and logics no joke when it comes to a daw

cool
Ableton | Elektron

Music

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:46 pm

I think this would be a really good time to get into Logic. The layout before was formidable but so long as they are ripping off of (my impression at least) Live's workflow, and since there is going to be an insurgent wave of nOOb mutualism, now would be a great time to jump on that wagon.

What I feel they did was make Logic's interface more intuitive/comporable while still maintaining more powerful though challenging features to exist optionally in the background. It seems they used taste and finesse. It looks like where I was hoping they would take it.

Take note of this: Apple was wretched about bug-fixes, charging for small upgrades and overlooking Logic's instability in the past, whereas Ableton was the opposite.

I wish they would just cut the price of melodyne in half. Then I would be good to go.

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:57 pm

unklmic wrote:Ableton is lightning fast in syncing loops, but when you add the time of setting up the the Ableton Slave, not to mention extra computer resources consumed, and the fact that Ableton uses realtime processing, would it not be better to apply offline processing within Logic, which should give better results?

I would love to be able to slave logic to live, and use all Logic's instruments and effects in session view!
Yeah, join the miserable club. I spent endless hours engineering custom sounds in Logic for midi guitar before I got Live, then realized there was no way to slave logic to live. Over the years, I've tried D>A>D wire-ups, internal virtual audio servers (Jack is the best in my opinion, but latency and processor ceiling are always issues).

The best solution I've come up with is to run Logic on an old laptop and Live on my new one. The same would probably work for mainstage, but I think it's simply retarded that they made a "live performance" application that can't effectively be used with the TOP LIVE PERFORMANCE software out there, that probably 95% of laptops on stage are running.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:11 pm

exaltron wrote:[Yeah, join the miserable club. I spent endless hours engineering custom sounds in Logic for midi guitar before I got Live, then realized there was no way to slave logic to live. Over the years, I've tried D>A>D wire-ups, internal virtual audio servers (Jack is the best in my opinion, but latency and processor ceiling are always issues).

The best solution I've come up with is to run Logic on an old laptop and Live on my new one. The same would probably work for mainstage, but I think it's simply retarded that they made a "live performance" application that can't effectively be used with the TOP LIVE PERFORMANCE software out there, that probably 95% of laptops on stage are running.
You just described all of my downtime in 2005. Time I could have spent learning MAX or fishing. It's bullshit that Logic won't act as a slave. I would love to know why apple has made this the case, but I am sure it comes down to them simply not wanting to handle this program for any reason other than to sell hardware or maintain the bare requirements for complete professional multimedia collection of apps.

Allowing Logic to act as a slave would require their technical support and developers to be responsible for more work and knowledge of other parties' software. I wonder how this weighs in as significant, as it is the only reason that comes to mind.

Oh yeah, that and maintaining a underlying inference that Logic is only a master. Ass-backward information age :evil:

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:23 pm

LOFA wrote: You just described all of my downtime in 2005. Time I could have spent learning MAX or fishing. It's bullshit that Logic won't act as a slave. I would love to know why apple has made this the case, but I am sure it comes down to them simply not wanting to handle this program for any reason other than to sell hardware or maintain the bare requirements for complete professional multimedia collection of apps.

Allowing Logic to act as a slave would require their technical support and developers to be responsible for more work and knowledge of other parties' software. I wonder how this weighs in as significant, as it is the only reason that comes to mind.

Oh yeah, that and maintaining a underlying inference that Logic is only a master. Ass-backward information age :evil:
Live: Bow down before your master slave!
Logic: F that, I ain't nobody's biatch!
Live: Sigh, well that's a shame, cuz we coulda had real nice time, baby.

They used to say that Logic couldn't be a slave because of it's timecode architecture or WeTF, which sort of makes sense if you've ever tried to change tempo in Logic while it plays or do anything else remotely spontaneous (remember, Logic was originally created by Danes- DANES!!).

But what I find totally inexcusable is that they couldn't even make MainStage work as a rewire slave or plug-in. It's just Dubya-stupid.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 pm

:lol:
exaltron wrote:They used to say that Logic couldn't be a slave because of it's timecode architecture or WeTF, which sort of makes sense if you've ever tried to change tempo in Logic while it plays or do anything else remotely spontaneous (remember, Logic was originally created by Danes- DANES!!).

Still laughing...

I know what you mean, I made the mistake of getting into Logic after Live. It seems like all of my workflow tendencies made Logic crash. I'm talking Bjork doing dishes after a long line of Pixie-stick powder kind of crashes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilKTuHF_C0