Novation's Automap and Live Racks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmcg37

Novation's Automap and Live Racks

Post by cmcg37 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:41 pm

Hello,

I am strongly considering a Remote SL. I have seen one in action just
for a moment.
I am impressed with the automap feature on single Live plug-ins.
How does automap work with Live's racks were several plug-ins may be in use?
How would it handle duplicate plug-ins in a rack e.g. two autofilters in series?
I have watched the videos at the novation site and they were helpful but I would like to hear from people that have been using it in their workflow.
Is automap the Holy Grail or is something better coming along this year? What are your likes and dislikes about the SL series of controllers?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

CMcG37

Post by 4.33 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:23 am

looks like automap and racks have been made for each other))

just group your devices and assign the most crucial controls to macro knobs.

8 knobs on the screen and 8 knobs automapped)) no knob missing))

you can put a rack in each track
and by tapping twice on the bottom row of the rightmost buttons (the Arm buttons) you can switch from track to track and, behold, from Rack to Rack!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:33 am

automap and VSTs...

click on the VST window at the bottom of Live, the blue hand appears on the window.

the left LCD of the SL controls the first 8 of 128 controls of that VST.

rack macros are 8 controls deep, so all 8 map on one SL LCD page.

the topmost button in the grey area on the left side LOCKS automap to the selected VST. LED next to it lights up to show that state.

that's the surface of it. cool device, not ideal, some awkward controls but really really cool. I don't know if there's one better at twice the price.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

MarK K

Remote SL - slick, but complicated

Post by MarK K » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:51 pm

Hello - I just got a Remote about two weeks ago. Got the Zero - then sent it back to get the 25, which I have been very very happy with. They keyboard feel is quite good. Automap is very slick - but has required some tweaking in my brief experience, and doesn't feet really solid as a rock. When you rename a track in Live, the name change instantly shows up on the Remote- very cool. Not all plug-ins play well with automap (my MOTU plugs in particular seem not to).

I have discovered one thing that the Remote can't do (per Novation) that I wish it could: I wish I could send a Bank Select Message AND a program change message with one button push (something I do all the time with M-Audio equipment). On the remote, you can send one or the other, but not both at one time. That is a bummer for me.

All in all - I like the Remote a lot. Slick, but the Automap feels a little shakey - I'm hoping I'll get the bugs out and all will be cool.

Rock on.

M

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:15 am

4.33 wrote:by tapping twice on the bottom row of the rightmost buttons (the Arm buttons) you can switch from track to track and, behold, from Rack to Rack!!
thank you so much for that!