Vista as OS???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_E

Vista as OS???

Post by Christian_E » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:07 pm

has anybody tryed out live 6 in vista yet??

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:10 pm

Yep, runs fine, assuming that your soundcard is supported..

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:11 pm

wait on vista. maybe two years for everything to be supported, XP is just to good :)

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:18 pm

yeah, waiting on Vista is a good idea.
I have been using it on a laptop recently - and I can't see any difference to XP except that it is heavy on the CPU and RAM.

Anyone care to tell us what the benefits (if any) are???
Or is it just a tarted up XP with processor heavy visual FX?

rolfski

Post by rolfski » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 pm

Double check Vista audio driver availability, especially when you own a m-audio card :roll:

adi

Post by adi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:48 pm

in the end, vista will kill xp in terms of daw performance, but right now driver support as well as applications taking advantage of what vista offers isn't happening as fast as it could.
Vista 64 Ultimate, Core i7 920, 12GB ram

capo-wear-i

Post by capo-wear-i » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:54 pm

That's my feeling too.

It may take another year, but when most of the big music software houses eventually catch up, I guess we'll see the Vista nay-sayers eating their words. As I understand it, stuff like MMCSS in Vista has the potential to make the OS much more stable and glitch free at low latencies than XP currently is.

lightning

Post by lightning » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:09 pm

You can run it fine on Vista 64, the hardware is another issue that may or may not work so do some research before you buy or hook up new hardware. Just cause there isn't a Vista 32 or 64 driver doesn’t mean you cant make a XP driver work. But you still run a 50/50 chance of getting your gear to work.
It's a pretty OS and very stable in some aspects but then it BSOD on some silly stuff as well. The OS will eventually level out but it would be a waste of money to jump into Vista 32 if you want get the most out of the OS down the road(mainly for 4+GB Memory support).

With all that being said....
I am looking into getting a Mac Pro just for production and regret the investment on Vi$ta 64 box

kidtronic

vista

Post by kidtronic » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:05 pm

emu has sets of beta drivers up going back to the 0404 PCI card, as well as the newer usb versions. I'll be trying that as soon as I get everything settled. As a pre-install my new machine comes with a dual core 64 x2 4600 at 2.4 ghz and 2 gig of memory and 320 gig 7200 sata drive and lightscribe burner for the equivalent of 300 english pounds so I snapped up that loss leader deal.

My nephew removed VISTA from his laptop and desktop and he does electronic as well as university tech support. we'll see.

Mostly i want to get a smoother gigastudio to Live thing happening.

What's been driving me crazy is moving files from old drive to new drive and finding the uninstalls and reregistration things are messed up on legal software, a drag.

I also moved too fast on filling up the new drive without thinking partitions through. A friend advised OS in its own partion to make reinstalls less worrisome. Programs and files shoudl have gone on another partition of the same drive I guess. I use a real second drive for audio. Crazy gigastudio tried to pack 14 gig of sound into 6 gig factory restore virtual D: partion and hit 100% full, not good. No damage but a worry.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:50 pm

capo-wear-i wrote:That's my feeling too.

It may take another year, but when most of the big music software houses eventually catch up, I guess we'll see the Vista nay-sayers eating their words. As I understand it, stuff like MMCSS in Vista has the potential to make the OS much more stable and glitch free at low latencies than XP currently is.
I can run my RME Multiface at 32 samples, with is around 0.7 ms of latency. Not that I doubt what you're saying, but I'm wondering

1. How much lower than sub 1ms do you think Vista will get me? and

2. How do you suppose new driver standards will affect an established standard like ASIO?

I'm all for a better OS, but as a musician who relies on his gear and expects his computer to be his workhorse, his studio, I aim for mature stable technologies. I don't believe Vista to be mature, stable technology yet.

Now I'm not a naysayer...I was on the bleeding edge when XP came out, but mainly because it wasn't entirely different from Win2K...it was better. Vista is entirely different, and it's only better for some people using some applications (Internet, UI, etc, not necessarily producing music). When it gets to a level that makes me comfortable, I will happily jump ship.

ash1

Post by ash1 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:53 pm

what is the state of play regarding firewalls for vista

forge

Post by forge » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:55 pm

I'm using it and I like it

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:59 pm

but we all know that as surely as toilets flush counter-clockwise, Vista just "works" better in the lower hemisphere