Tutorial : Generative music in Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:45 am

I'm having a lot of fun with this, but the examples murder my CPU...can't play any of them...but I see the racks and chains which is the important bit.

Excellent stuff!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:41 pm

the cool thing with these examples is that if you load one up, then load another als on another track, they will work together :)

i think im gonna go make some generative drumracks now, uhu.
or play with the vocoder rack, which btw is totally 100% genious.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:12 pm

UKRuss wrote:I'm having a lot of fun with this, but the examples murder my CPU...can't play any of them...but I see the racks and chains which is the important bit.

Excellent stuff!
I had a lot of problem trying to get some older examples to play in real time. I had to render them and listen to the output.

That was when I had a 2GHz P4 system. I have since upgraded my system to a Core 2 Quad and I can play all the examples in real time now. It made that much of a difference.

What sort of system are you trying this on?

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:59 am

wow.

i am totally overjoyed by the knowledge you have shared here.

truly incredible. the music that these things make is just beautiful.

hats off.

come to my town and perform!
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:38 am

rasputin wrote:
UKRuss wrote:I'm having a lot of fun with this, but the examples murder my CPU...can't play any of them...but I see the racks and chains which is the important bit.

Excellent stuff!
I had a lot of problem trying to get some older examples to play in real time. I had to render them and listen to the output.

That was when I had a 2GHz P4 system. I have since upgraded my system to a Core 2 Quad and I can play all the examples in real time now. It made that much of a difference.

What sort of system are you trying this on?
2gig Macbook.

It's no issue though, I just dissected the racks and built my own based on the principals. I have already written two backing tracks which I use as part of the live guitar show which work like a charm.

Restricting the randomness to scale and chord is just superb with some velocity variation.

Once again, excellent stuff and agreed, hats off to the Angstrom!

miqueas1

Wow

Post by miqueas1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:02 pm

This is amazing... I am completely lost and my head hurts! Wow.. I am blown away...
Ableton Live Suite 8, Launchpad, Apc40, Touch-able, Griid, Minimoog, Sylenth1, Nexxus2, Maschine Mikro, all Ableton Audio Plugins, Recyle, Waves Mastering Plug Ins. http://www.soundcloud.com/micahjames

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:32 am

now, i posted on the request forums about an midi lfo (i know, theres a billion of them), and i added the request of an ability to set an outgoing value, N, then when it hits this value it goes "do it", and sends out either an midi cc value or a keyboard trigger, ofcourse with the ability to select if you want it to be momentary or toggle.

ofcourse, the normal midi lfo we all love and want (yes ableton, its time..), now.. can you even begin to imagine the possibilities with this LFO when thinking about generative music?

dear oh dear..
also, id like to give another pat on the back to angstrom, because once again i am amazed. just had a listen to those sets earlier. incredible man.. really.
good show!

SubLixx

Post by SubLixx » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 pm

bookmarked
iMac & Logic Studio

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:01 pm

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87133

MIDI LFO

Surely this can be applied to creating Random / Generative music?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:19 pm

Oh indeed, in fact I have writen a whole host of plugins for my own works - everything from LFOs to freestanding envelope generators, to big displays that show me info about what Live is currently doing (bar position, etc)

But what I wanted to show with this demo was what you can do with only Live devices. If you include 3rd party items extend Live function you can do a hell of a lot - many people use MAX for example.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:45 pm

care to share a few perhaps? :)

im currently studying synthmaker a bit, especially the midi part, in the hopes if beeing able to build something useful.

needless to say, i suck at synthmaker and i dont really need more effect plugins nor synths. just midi devices. great hah.

i keep thinking about that liveapi project that died out, and the huskervu lcd mackie emulation display thing, when you talked about info plugins.
made me drewl a bit.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:33 am

well, I'm not sure that most of my stuff is worth sharing. For example - who really wants a beat indicator that looks like this? ... other than me of course.

the 'extra filter' thing is quite good. It's like an autofilter - but if you imagine that Autofilter could accept midi note start info - so you can start it on the beat like a normal synth envelope.

it looks like this

It enables you to treat Live more like a modular synth, so a load of Simplers serve as oscilators and then they can all route into some of these. It makes it all sound a bit more 'together' and gives flexibility.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:22 am

Angstrom wrote: the 'extra filter' thing is quite good. It's like an autofilter - but if you imagine that Autofilter could accept midi note start info - so you can start it on the beat like a normal synth envelope.

it looks like this

It enables you to treat Live more like a modular synth, so a load of Simplers serve as oscilators and then they can all route into some of these. It makes it all sound a bit more 'together' and gives flexibility.
are you going to share this then? 8O

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:25 am

Angstrom wrote:well, I'm not sure that most of my stuff is worth sharing. For example - who really wants a beat indicator that looks like this? ... other than me of course.

the 'extra filter' thing is quite good. It's like an autofilter - but if you imagine that Autofilter could accept midi note start info - so you can start it on the beat like a normal synth envelope.

it looks like this

you know. i wouldnt mind either of them two plugs.
the beat indicator ive got now its just a white square with a black box blinking with 4 little squares indicating the position of the beat. although its simple, its not simple enough for me. besides, its the wrong color ;)

so yeah, i wouldnt mind that beat indicator.
:)

forge

Post by forge » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:56 am

this bumpage has made me sit here with these sets playing for a couple of hours now - it is just so nice

Angstrom - You should seriously put a CD out of this - it is really, really good

trouble is - I will have to spend at least a day going through it all in order to figure out what the hell is going on