I NEEDA SEEQUENCER!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wonder6oy

I NEEDA SEEQUENCER!

Post by wonder6oy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:42 am

Hello all,

Well, doggonnit, I've managed to let myself fall in love with Live. I would really like to record parts from VSTi's directly into the app, but in order to do this, I have to be running a sequencer with VSTi and Rewire capability in SLAVE mode to Live. I was hoping I could do it with Cubase, but... nope.

I really need a solution here. Any suggestions, fellas?

flower of sound

Post by flower of sound » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:42 am

If you're on a Mac, you can use either Jack (interapp audio via VST), Soundflower (virtual loopback audio driver), or Wormhole (Audio over TCP, even locally).

If you're on Windows, your best bet is a real loopback cable, piping your synths out a different audio outlet and back into your pc and into live.

Hu_koala

Post by Hu_koala » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:29 am

there is another solution on windows

an hard seq like rm1x --> Bidule in Rewire ---> live

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:43 am

Try out FruityLoops rewired to Live! It´s sequencing is easy to use and you can record midi very easy! Then record audio in Live in sync!
FL is the stablest (and cheapest) VSTi host with rewire I know, I´ve tried out some others like orion (crashed often) or bidule ( stable but missing powerfull sequencing features)!
Greetings! 8)

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:46 pm

[quote="flower of sound"]If you're on a Mac, you can use either Jack (interapp audio via VST), Soundflower (virtual loopback audio driver), or Wormhole (Audio over TCP, even locally).
quote]

are all these osx? and are they freeware (do you have URLs?) and I like the sound of wormhole - is it possible to run it with mac and PC considering OSX networks comfortably with PC?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:51 pm

serotoninsteve wrote:or bidule ( stable but missing powerfull sequencing features)!
Greetings! 8)
I really think it's very strange there isn't already a midi sequencer that can rewire slave but run vstis - something like micrologic which kept me going quite comfortably on an old LC520 mac with about half a kb memory for ages back in the day - you would think someone would have done it by now - quite a simple request really - but everyones trying to do the big powerful thing.

swpsppce

wormhole

Post by swpsppce » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:08 pm

wormhole sounds interesting - where can I find it?

I tried searching on the net for "wormhole", found stuff but nothing that really sounds like the wormhole mentioned in this thread ./

thanks

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:18 pm

um, have we forgotten about Reason? it's the best thus far at doing this, it was actually designed to do it while everything else is just an awkward workaround. but you have to sacrifice your vstis.
The best, best songs are utterly forgettable.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:11 pm

The Hulk wrote:um, have we forgotten about Reason? it's the best thus far at doing this, it was actually designed to do it while everything else is just an awkward workaround. but you have to sacrifice your vstis.
you missed the point - reason and it's all powerful studio is all well and good, but what if you already have absynth or reaktor, or many, many other very good (better than reason imo) vstis you want to use so that the money you forked out on them isn't wasted? If reason would allow a vsti unit in the rack, and/or audio in or rewire host capabilities (full duplex) then it might be a bit more worth it's salt, but as is it's a good sketch pad or loop creator, but not good enough to be completely self contained which is how it's packaged.

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:35 pm

well, i definitely understand that because i've been through it. It's a game of compromises though until someone finally comes out with stable solution to this vsti thing. Myself, i gave up on the rewire/vsti thing. Also gave up on Reason (which is only perfect if you use it as your all and everything synth/sequencer). Now I use Numerology which controls hardware synths going directly into Live. Note: Numerology claims that they will have rewire for the AU's it can host soon. Only OS X though.

Anonymous wrote:
The Hulk wrote:um, have we forgotten about Reason? it's the best thus far at doing this, it was actually designed to do it while everything else is just an awkward workaround. but you have to sacrifice your vstis.
you missed the point - reason and it's all powerful studio is all well and good, but what if you already have absynth or reaktor, or many, many other very good (better than reason imo) vstis you want to use so that the money you forked out on them isn't wasted? If reason would allow a vsti unit in the rack, and/or audio in or rewire host capabilities (full duplex) then it might be a bit more worth it's salt, but as is it's a good sketch pad or loop creator, but not good enough to be completely self contained which is how it's packaged.
The best, best songs are utterly forgettable.

wonder6oy

Post by wonder6oy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:45 pm

Wow!

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

You know, I completely forgot to mention that actually DON'T want to use Reason - for several "reasons" (no pun intended). First, I DO already own Reaktor and I LOVE it's sound; Reason sounds kinda thin in comparison (to my ears). Second, whoever designed the GUI on that program needs to get promoted and then beat up; the "old-school" concept is great to look at, but the tiny, shrunken window is not! And third, I just dont want to take on yet another "learning curve" app - Ableton is demanding my full attention at the moment 8O and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Something simple and stupid but capable is exactly what I need... Fruityloops you say? Hadn't thought about that one. I will go and take a look...

Thanks again guys!

wonder6oy

Post by wonder6oy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:46 pm

Oh yah... I'm using XP. :)

FaX

Post by FaX » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:29 pm

Ok Reaktor renders audio files correct ;) .
Use a hardware sequencer for Reaktor render the files.
Import in Live
Problem solved .

HajoCorsten

Post by HajoCorsten » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:22 pm

Problem not solved: how to play Reaktor instruments (not effects) live in Live? We've to pray for good old MIDI-sequencing getting implemented

flower of sound

Post by flower of sound » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:39 pm

Fresh links for my Mac OS X usin' peeps out there:

Jack: http://www.jackosx.com/
Soundflower: http://www.cycling74.com
Wormhole: http://www.apulsoft.ch/wormhole/index.php

Jack and Soundflower are free, Wormhole is $25 shareware.

--
Yes, Virginia, life is better on a Mac.