Upgrading hardware - how does this affect licensing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
groovebox

Upgrading hardware - how does this affect licensing?

Post by groovebox » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi (again),

I sort of know the answer and the stuff I have read here on the forum makes sense but before I proceed I'd like to know for sure.

I am going to upgrade the RAM and hard drives on my PC - rather then ghost the data over I intend to do a clean install of WinXP as well as Live and all my other progs.

When I come to install Live again - will this mean I need to buy a new license?

I know that on the MS side of the world changing hardware means you have to re-activate your copy of Windows.

I am guessing that RAM and new HDD's will not mean I have to buy a new Live license.

But what about if I upgrade my motherboard and/or graphics card?

Any pointers to forum posts welcomed - I have had a good look around.

Respect.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Live's key is based on the windows key. Given that the windows key is based on hardware, it is likely that you will need to re-authorize Live. Try this first:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[YourProfileName]\Application Data\Ableton\[VersionNumber]\ and there will be an Unlock folder. Save the Unlock.cfg file somewhere. After re-installing the OS and then re-installing Live, put the unlock.cfg file in this same location and see if Live works. If not, you will need to re-authorize.

You should probably email support@ableton.com to warn them you're about to do this and make sure you can unlock Live. This is usually not a problem. Good luck.

groovebox

Post by groovebox » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Thank you heaps nebulae

I thought as much - I will email Ableton Support just to be on the safe side.

Much appreciated!

Respect.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:37 pm

werd

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:28 pm

Just wanted to give you guys an update - I had to reformat my hard drive last week. When I tried my method of replacing the saved unlock.cfg file, it did not work.

I now think that the unlock file is based on the XP serial number as well as the hard disk and/or cpu serials. And every time you format the hard disk, it takes on a different check sum or some other kind of "serial". Anyways, I have emailed the Abes for some more unlocks on my products.

On a good note, v7.02 seems to have fixed some of my CPU spikes so I will try to set up some performances with it. :)

lvehon

Post by lvehon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:51 pm

I always figured the easiest way for them to keep track of installations was to use the computers mac address.

arkoenig

Post by arkoenig » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:56 pm

lvehon wrote:I always figured the easiest way for them to keep track of installations was to use the computers mac address.
I sent my laptop off for repair not too long ago, and it came back with a different mac address.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:26 pm

nebulae wrote:Just wanted to give you guys an update - I had to reformat my hard drive last week. When I tried my method of replacing the saved unlock.cfg file, it did not work.

I now think that the unlock file is based on the XP serial number as well as the hard disk and/or cpu serials. And every time you format the hard disk, it takes on a different check sum or some other kind of "serial". Anyways, I have emailed the Abes for some more unlocks on my products.

On a good note, v7.02 seems to have fixed some of my CPU spikes so I will try to set up some performances with it. :)
It probably has the install date of the OS as part of the system ID; most C/R systems like Ableton's do.

ew