Who wants access to Ableton's Python API? .. You? .. Ok!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:28 pm

tjwett wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:And..
You say can access the telnet server from Live....
really?? details?
check the API docs. I'm really not the right guy to ask this.

Additv

Post by Additv » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:34 pm

Yep, we have a basic set of OSC commands so far, but with a server that makes it easy to add your own commands. So for example /live/play, plays the song /live/play/clip (track#, clip#) will play a clip, and yes, you can get names of stuff out. Send a /live/name/track message, and it will send you back a series of /live/name/track (track#, trackName) messages. Same with scenes and clips.

For the telnet server, just add the LiveTelnet Remote Device, then at cmd: "telnet localhost 23" and you're in!

corporation

Post by corporation » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:38 pm

this sounds so exciting!

now my monome might be able to talk natively to live...

and i can't wait for mr. ramella to release his vci-100 vst! thats going to rock my socks off!

axou

Post by axou » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Additv wrote: Yep, we have a basic set of OSC commands so far, but with a server that makes it easy to add your own commands. So for example /live/play, plays the song /live/play/clip (track#, clip#) will play a clip, and yes, you can get names of stuff out. Send a /live/name/track message, and it will send you back a series of /live/name/track (track#, trackName) messages. Same with scenes and clips.

For the telnet server, just add the LiveTelnet Remote Device, then at cmd: "telnet localhost 23" and you're in!
Is there a big technical barrier that's hindering OS X development ? Or is it just lack of time ?
Congrats for this nice work !!

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:42 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
check the API docs. I'm really not the right guy to ask this.
ohhhh.... i thought you meant you ALREADY could, without this new API thing. cool.

Additv

Post by Additv » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Right now the only thing holding back the OS-X version is some problems we have been having importing binary modules (such as socket or select), once we figure that out, the rest is pure python and should work out of the box.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:49 pm

This could be extremely sick.

A good few steps closer to my dream of having a Live controller that can be used without the need for a screen.

I am programmer also - and prob about to learn Python for a project at work.

.... :idea:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:56 pm

8O

I can't even imagine what widgets, doo dads and hojiwompers will be cooked up in the next year. This could lead to an Ableton powered Holodeck.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:32 pm

It would have made my day just to find out about the upcoming VCI-100 vst (hope there's a UB Mac version soon).

But the Python-OSC news is just unreal. This is one of the biggest things to happen to Lemur people since the Lemur itself.

A big time tip of the glass to everyone involved.

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:36 pm

elemental wrote: A good few steps closer to my dream of having a Live controller that can be used without the need for a screen.

.... :idea:
This is exactly the type of stuff MIDI Remote Scripts _should_ be used for. Make sure and let us know how it goes. :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 pm

This also means AUTOMAP can be wrenched on.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:45 pm

Tone Deft wrote:This also means AUTOMAP can be wrenched on.
To say the least :wink:

Shit, i wish i spoke fluent python. Screw Flemish! :lol:

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:48 pm

hoffman2k wrote:

Python is really simple to program. I didn't know anything about it in January except that it was a programming language. I've probably only spent about 15 days total "programming" it. It's about the same level of simplicity as C# without all the crazy classes to worry about for windows specific stuff. :D So, don't be intimidated, our source is heavily doc'd, so if you're determined you'll be flying in no time.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:07 pm

Nathan Ramella wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:

Python is really simple to program. I didn't know anything about it in January except that it was a programming language. I've probably only spent about 15 days total "programming" it. It's about the same level of simplicity as C# without all the crazy classes to worry about for windows specific stuff. :D So, don't be intimidated, our source is heavily doc'd, so if you're determined you'll be flying in no time.
Wow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_language <- has good things to say.

OK, sleep is no longer an option.

Kudos to anyone who can present to the class how to pull of an Ableton Live version of "hello world". I know some languages but not this one but this is all too encouraging.

Oh man, and then there's the monome project, the planets are aligning, I can see the future... I'm going to be very pasty skinned at the end of the summer. Monome, python, Live 7 beta (please), MAX/MSP my only hope is that the marriage and job can survive, and a slicer in Live 7, and I can do a color 40h, and...
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:11 pm

Unbelievable news. Good work!
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.