So ...what's the verdict on the novation SL

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

So ...what's the verdict on the novation SL

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 29, 2007 7:56 am

is it worth the extra cheese???.... I know their keys rock.... but what about the 'automap' thingie....

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue May 29, 2007 9:31 am

There was one recently about this, I don't get it cause I'm retarded (no putdown on anyone but me) but it seems many have gotten it to be just bitch'in.......

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 29, 2007 10:32 am

why I'm asking is I'm looking for a small controller....and I'm sure I want one from novation.... (I like the xy and the mod/pitch joystick + they have aftertouch)....

I can get a brand new sl25... or get a used xstation25 for 200$ less....
I just don't know which one to get... (don't really need the soundcard or synth on the x station...)
Please Help!!!! :?

polysix

Post by polysix » Tue May 29, 2007 11:03 am

I would go with the X Station,
the have a great key action and all the sticks and sliders you ever need.
On top they have great sounds integrated.
only thing is, they might not be as software ready with automaps as the SL.
I was not too impressed with the SL cause they are too expensive.
The controllers are generally overpriced. I use an old (kawai5000)KS Macro Controlbox and it works well, only 16 knobs and of course no automap.
Fantom X
V-Synth
Virus TI

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 29, 2007 11:46 am

I think the Automapping works fine with Live, not had any issues with it.

trip_out

Post by trip_out » Tue May 29, 2007 11:54 am

How does the automapping work between the universal mapped vst pluggins, the mixer, and the built in stuff like sampler?

Please can someone describe how the complete package works, whether you need to switch templates at all, and what bits are customizable/fixed to the controller layout.

If one of the SL gurus has time, there would be real mileage in a detailed tutorial explaining exactly what is possible and how to do it. Video would be pretty too ;)

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue May 29, 2007 2:20 pm

There's a bunch of talk going on here about it: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65455

That started as just my issues with the new universal automapping.

But overall, I've always liked the unit. My problem with it is that there are a couple little things stopping it from being the perfect controller. But no controller is perfect, so this is still one of the best.

It's basically broken down into 3 parts for any DAW: Mixer Automap, Plug-in Automap, and manual templates. For Ableton however, instead of mixer automap, you use Ableton automap. Essentially the same idea, but specific to ableton.

-Mixer/Ableton automap (templates 39/40) is to control a DAW's internal instruments/effects and mixer controls. It also has the old way of controlling VSTs/AUs, which is different for every host.
-Plug-in Automap (template 38 ) is the new way to control Plug-ins, which requires the plug-in to wrapped in to a automap version which you must load instead of the regular plug. Then you have control of that plug-in with all of the SL's controls. Much like a template, except you always get three full pages of control, and as many as you want, and you can change devices you are controlling from the SL quickly. The cool thing here, is that you can alter the automap layout to your liking, and have it permanently recall that way when you load it, or save different versions.
-Manual templates (1-36) are much like any other controller. You set any one to any CC you want and do midi learns or whatever. The thing is, the LCD is huge bonus. Even if you didn't have any automapping whatsoever, you still have 36 templates to use how you like, and can name any control.

So in general, with ableton, if you were using mainly internal devices, you'd be using template 40 (ableton automap), and select a device you want to control with the mouse or arrows, and use the encoders for that automapping, and sliders for mixer/pans/sends, and of course you probably want to use manual templates for extra midi learn knobs, because the automap template only gives you the 8 bottom ones. When you use third-party devices, and want a lot of control, then you'd turn to tamplate 38 (plug-in automap) and use the wrapped plug-ins, giving you all controls for the plug-in. If you have more than one wrapped plug-in loaded, it controls which ever one is visible usually, but you can switch control from the SL easily. You just switch between templates whenever you want, going from mixer/ableton to plug-ins.

What I tend to do is use the ableton automap's bottom 8 knobs for an instruments internal midi-learn (as opposed to abletons midi-learn), so that it gets controlled whenever record is enabled for that track. That way, you get those 8 knobs to use for every channel. For example if it's something like reaktor, which doesn't send the names of parameters (so it's not good for plug-in automap), and you want to quickly use the instruments midi-learn, then those bottom 8 are good. Otherwise, abletons midi learn takes up the knob at all times. Might as well use a manual template for that.

Tip for quick switching of templates: Assign one button in ableton's automap to template 38 (plug-in automap) and one to a manual template you want to use (like template 1). That way you can recall it quickly with one press, and go back to ableton with a quick turn to the right of the template knob.

Good thing i just got up at 6 am with nothing to do but drink my coffee and type away. 8)
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 pm

wow .... 8O .... I know your situation oh so well....
THX for the info man !!!!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 29, 2007 10:01 pm

I'm getting an sl :twisted:

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue May 29, 2007 11:45 pm

3dot... wrote:I'm getting an sl :twisted:
A word of advice before buying one: Try it out. If the keys are stiff and shitty, they are from the first batch of SL 25's. Some stores still have them around. Get a newer one. (I don't know if it's a 25 your getting, but the rest are fine.) I had shitty keys on my former SL 25 and I sold that. My new one has amazing keys though (It's a 37, but the new 25's are fine too).

And welcome to the club. All I can say is that since getting the SL again a few days ago, music has become twice as fun again. :D
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Tue May 29, 2007 11:59 pm

automapping is working great for me, I don't think I'd like to work without it now.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed May 30, 2007 6:27 am

The post about trying it out/return policy by "dubya" is TOTALLY CRITICAL.

The sl37 I ordered was a MAJOR DOG! Not only were the two left most keys velocity "challenged" but it was indeed stiff and funky.

The pads were un-useable and there were also allot of weird non-working stuff.

As mentioned before, there were some "bad" units.....obviously mine was one of them.

lis102trants

Post by lis102trants » Wed May 30, 2007 9:23 am

Also adding my .02 cents in, the x-y pad is so unresponsive on my unit I rarely bother to use it. The drumpads aren't too great either, but I just map with them instead of drumming out beats. Other than that, the lcd screen, number of controls, and keys are a dream. I'm actually considering moving to a 61 key (from 37) SL because I love the feel of the keys so much.

alin55

Post by alin55 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:53 am

I agree with most of what R.J. said above - I haven't been able to get the x/y pad to do anything and the pads are a waste of time - however, the usefulness and simplicity of operation of automap and the ableton template make up for those two minor inconveniences.

Along with the liquid mix, the remote sl 37 is is the best buy I have made since I discovered Live 5.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 30, 2007 12:02 pm

The X-Y pad definitely takes a little more pressure to work, but then it's fine, not had any issues with mine. Ditto on the drum pads, they are stiffer than other pads out there, but I foudn I like them more. I get less double triggering, and the velocity response appears to be more even. FWIW, I sold my Trigger Finger within a couple weeks of getting the SL, just not needed for me.