Logic pro AU instruments/effects in live???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abertronix

Logic pro AU instruments/effects in live???

Post by abertronix » Sun May 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi ,
Im a new user of Ableton LIVE for creating live sets of my music done in LOGIC pro.I have a question that I havent been able to find the answer to anywhere which makes me think whether Im missing some small detail..

Why are LOGIC pros AU's(effects etc) not showing up in ableton LIVE ...I mean the rest of my third party effects and instruments do, why not LOGIC'S?

If anyone knows the answer to this question I would be very greatful.

Thanks ,
Abertronix

sqook

Re: Logic pro AU instruments/effects in live???

Post by sqook » Sun May 20, 2007 1:25 pm

abertronix wrote:Hi ,
Im a new user of Ableton LIVE for creating live sets of my music done in LOGIC pro.I have a question that I havent been able to find the answer to anywhere which makes me think whether Im missing some small detail..

Why are LOGIC pros AU's(effects etc) not showing up in ableton LIVE ...I mean the rest of my third party effects and instruments do, why not LOGIC'S?

Thanks ,
Abertronix
The AU instruments for Logic Pro can only be used within Logic. To use them in live, you will need to rewire one app to the other.

thelocalhost

Re: Logic pro AU instruments/effects in live???

Post by thelocalhost » Sun May 20, 2007 6:25 pm

sqook wrote:
abertronix wrote:Hi ,

Thanks ,
Abertronix
The AU instruments for Logic Pro can only be used within Logic. To use them in live, you will need to rewire one app to the other.
(I am using 5.2, so I don't know if 6 allows any new possiblities.

" To use them in live, you will need to rewire one app to the other.'

This is very incorrect and against the fundamentals of the Rewire machinery.

In rewire mode, You can't send midi from the Live to Logic, nor can you send audo from Logic to Live. Therefore using live as a Rewire slave is very limited. Using Live as a Rewire slave means that you have to play the plugin directly from Logic.

An alternative setup is to run Live (in standalone) and Logic together with IAC. Sync the clocks via midi and make Live the master. Now you can play sculpture, or send midi clips to UltraBeat. If you want to route the audio back into Live, you can use Soundflower, or your audio interfaces software.

Heiko

Post by Heiko » Mon May 21, 2007 11:18 am

Hello Local Host!

'An alternative setup is to run Live (in standalone) and Logic together with IAC. Sync the clocks via midi and make Live the master. Now you can play sculpture, or send midi clips to UltraBeat. If you want to route the audio back into Live, you can use Soundflower, or your audio interfaces software.'

What is IAC?

This sounds like a setup I'd like to use!

Kind regards,

Heiko
http://www.heikodijker.com
http://www.indianmusiccircle.com
Instead of thinking of Things you have to Think of Possibilities

abertronix

Post by abertronix » Mon May 21, 2007 1:03 pm

Thanks for the replies and ideas for getting around this problem ..Though I still dont understand the reason why .I paid good money for Logic you should think I could use their tools no matter whether it was in their program or not . As much as live has some good effects its still missing some vital tools , for example a good brickwall limiter that you can use on the master output ( I thought something like this would be essential for live performance) Apart from that , I know the logic effects very well and would love to be able to use them as part of a live performance within Ableton ,ie , assigning effects parameters to midi controllers, which is so easy and reliable.LOCAL HOST you talk of a setup using IAC.Does this enable you use the effects within ableton and control them through ableton?

Abertronix

thelocalhost

Post by thelocalhost » Mon May 21, 2007 5:40 pm

abertronix wrote:should think I could use their tools no matter whether it was in their program or not .
I don't agree. You can't use Live's plugins in Logic. So why should it work the other way around?
abertronix wrote:Apart from that , I know the logic effects very well and would love to be able to use them as part of a live performance within Ableton ,ie , assigning effects parameters to midi controllers, which is so easy and reliable.LOCAL HOST you talk of a setup using IAC.Does this enable you use the effects within ableton and control them through ableton?
I was primarily talking about sending midi to software instruments. Sending Audio to/from Logic is going to require Soundflower. Again, if you want to send midi to Logic, you need to setup IAC. IAC allows you to setup virtual midi ports that allow you to send midi between applications. To be honest, sending audio and midi between Live and Logic is just a little too complex/convoluted. I'll send midi to instrument (e.g., sculpture, ultrabeat), but that's it. If the project requires anything more, I'll just use Logic.

Search for 'setup iac midi' in google. Look in the AudoMidi Setup also. It's pretty easy to setup.