Live 6: Serious Dropouts playing 88k - Live 5 Plays fine

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mdb

Live 6: Serious Dropouts playing 88k - Live 5 Plays fine

Post by mdb » Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 pm

First the system specs.

System:
AMD X2 4600+ 2.4ghz
Corsair XMS2 2.0gb DDR2 667mhz
Asus m2n32 Deluxe - Nforce 590 AM2 socket
3 - 200gb SATA II Drives - 1-OS Disk, 2-dedicated for audio
Presonus Firestudio at 512 Buffer
Running 15 processes on XP Pro SP2
No access to the Internet.
Nothing plugged into USB ports.
Using 1 Firewire Port - Texas Instruments Chipset(onboard controller)

I'm getting SERIOUS dropouts just playing back 88k Audio through Ableton 6.0.1-6.0.7. No plugins loaded - 5-10% CPU - No other apps running.

It acts like it cant read the disk fast enough, which i know isn't true because i can load the same exact files with the same exact settings in Live 5 and play back the audio no problems without any glitches. In fact, I have my old Audio computer, that i just use to surf and things, playing back all the tracks at 88k and its only a Athlon 2500+ with 1.5gb of Ram running Live 5. So i figured it was something with the dual core setting in Live 6. Tried every possible combination of Latency/Audio Buffer settings i could think of. Nothing seems to make a difference. I started thinking it had something to do with my Disk Reading Speed, Which doesn't even make sense because SATA II drives should pull somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.0gb/sec

So i open up reaper, because i remember it has a little disk usage monitor that shows you what the drives are pulling per second during playback. I load of all tracks in a new project in Reaper, set it to 88k, hit the play button and watch the disk usage meter. Topped out 5.08mb per second Disk read.. and 0-2% CPU usage in Reaper running the SAME EXACT tracks without plugins. So Ive come to the conclusion that there is something seriously wrong with Ableton 6. I tried EVERY version of 6 and i still get the garbage performance no matter what. I also see a lot of other people with high-end systems having the same problems. What gives? Anyone found any solutions?

lifeisdream

Audio dropouts

Post by lifeisdream » Fri May 18, 2007 11:44 pm

I use macbook pro W/ 2 gig ram. I just updated to live 6.07 hoping that would solve the problems.
I'll be going along at 20-30% pcu usage and the audio will drop out suddenly. I wiped the mac clean once and reloaded everything, that didn't help. I don't want to book any gigs with this going on. People are always using mac's with live on gigs, I don't know what it is, but I am now making it my number 1 mission to find out.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat May 19, 2007 1:54 am

To be clear, do you have live 5 running on the SAME computer, with no problems, or on your old one only?

mdb

Post by mdb » Sat May 19, 2007 6:07 am

Same computer. I have Live 5 and 6 installed on it. Live 5 will play the same exact tracks without a hitch. Even my old athlon will play them with live 5 running.. And that thing is about 4 or 5 years out of date..

Its definitely something with Live 6..

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Mon May 28, 2007 1:03 pm

i have similar problems... it's live 6!!

Amaury

Re: Live 6: Serious Dropouts playing 88k - Live 5 Plays fine

Post by Amaury » Wed May 30, 2007 7:48 am

mdb wrote:First the system specs.

System:
AMD X2 4600+ 2.4ghz

I'm getting SERIOUS dropouts just playing back 88k Audio through Ableton 6.0.1-6.0.7. No plugins loaded - 5-10% CPU - No other apps running.

It acts like it cant read the disk fast enough, which i know isn't true because i can load the same exact files with the same exact settings in Live 5 and play back the audio no problems without any glitches. In fact, I have my old Audio computer, that i just use to surf and things, playing back all the tracks at 88k and its only a Athlon 2500+ with 1.5gb of Ram running Live 5. So i figured it was something with the dual core setting in Live 6. Tried every possible combination of Latency/Audio Buffer settings i could think of. Nothing seems to make a difference. I started thinking it had something to do with my Disk Reading Speed, Which doesn't even make sense because SATA II drives should pull somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.0gb/sec

So i open up reaper, because i remember it has a little disk usage monitor that shows you what the drives are pulling per second during playback. I load of all tracks in a new project in Reaper, set it to 88k, hit the play button and watch the disk usage meter. Topped out 5.08mb per second Disk read.. and 0-2% CPU usage in Reaper running the SAME EXACT tracks without plugins. So Ive come to the conclusion that there is something seriously wrong with Ableton 6. I tried EVERY version of 6 and i still get the garbage performance no matter what. I also see a lot of other people with high-end systems having the same problems. What gives? Anyone found any solutions?
Hi,

It would be interesting testing, if you could install a Live 6 demo on your 'old' computer, and try to run the set. As to see if it performs better than on your 'new' computer.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

alfa.p

dropouts

Post by alfa.p » Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 am

same problems with live 6.xxx
i tried everything and now for live performances i use live 5 again

mdb

Re: Live 6: Serious Dropouts playing 88k - Live 5 Plays fine

Post by mdb » Thu May 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Amaury wrote:
mdb wrote:First the system specs.

System:
AMD X2 4600+ 2.4ghz

Hi,

It would be interesting testing, if you could install a Live 6 demo on your 'old' computer, and try to run the set. As to see if it performs better than on your 'new' computer.

Regards,
Amaury

I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks for responding.

mdb

Post by mdb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:49 pm

Ok, finally got a chance to give it a whirl on my old machine.

Installed 6.07 demo on it and loaded the same set of 22 88k audio files, I guess i save the set with some plugins on it in 5, so when i loaded it up in 6 on my old computer is was doing the exact same thing it does to me on the new machine.. Hard disk light was Solid orange, but no drive activity. No sound, except tiny little blips of the song trying to playback.

Stopped the song, removed the plugins, and it played through fine on my old computer.. But i think it somehow chached ok on this computer because there was hardly any disk activity.. Unlike my new box.

Another thing ive found is that if you let it just play all the way through the song while its glitched out.. and THEN start it again.. it will play fine for almost the whole song, and then start acting up at the end of the song again..

Hope this helps.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:11 am

mdb wrote:Ok, finally got a chance to give it a whirl on my old machine.

Installed 6.07 demo on it and loaded the same set of 22 88k audio files, I guess i save the set with some plugins on it in 5, so when i loaded it up in 6 on my old computer is was doing the exact same thing it does to me on the new machine.. Hard disk light was Solid orange, but no drive activity. No sound, except tiny little blips of the song trying to playback.

Stopped the song, removed the plugins, and it played through fine on my old computer.. But i think it somehow chached ok on this computer because there was hardly any disk activity.. Unlike my new box.

Another thing ive found is that if you let it just play all the way through the song while its glitched out.. and THEN start it again.. it will play fine for almost the whole song, and then start acting up at the end of the song again..

Hope this helps.
Hi,

So, just for my understanding: when you disable the plugins (do you remove them or just byass them?) on the old machine, then the set plyas correctly, on the old machine? What if you do the same on the new machine? And, what are these plugins? Are they supposed to play samples?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team