Audio Clipping/Chopping/Skipping problem

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
pribeh_tom

Post by pribeh_tom » Mon May 21, 2007 4:05 am

Captain,

What kind of instruments are you using? samplers? or softsynths?

Captain Comeback

Post by Captain Comeback » Mon May 21, 2007 10:10 pm

I'm using my VST's

z3ta and minimonsta

also using battery 3 for my drum samples

pribeh_tom

Post by pribeh_tom » Tue May 22, 2007 3:44 am

Just try taking out battery three from your track and tell me if you still hear glitches while playing the track. Use only non-sample based vsts (with your midi tracks).

Peter Cherry

Post by Peter Cherry » Tue May 22, 2007 9:03 am

Hi,

I have the very very similar problem:

I have just bought a new VAIO C-serie with Vista, Core Duo 1.66, 2Gb RAM, NVidida, 120Gb HD, Realtek High Definition internal soundcard...

I installed also ASIO4ALL and I also hear clicks and chopping artefacts even during playback of a short audio clips.

So you mean, I should try to install different version of ASIO4ALL or different universal ASIO driver ?

Maybe the problem could be in VISTA settings like new searching and indexing method or whatever...

pribeh_tom

Post by pribeh_tom » Wed May 23, 2007 12:12 am

vista's new indexing is known to create some problems. you can turn it off and try. also, definitely try to download a different asioforall version. People have had different success. I'm not using the vista beta but the 2.7 version - some people use the beta for vista version.

Captain Comeback

Post by Captain Comeback » Wed May 23, 2007 1:16 am

I want to officially change the topic of this thread.....

How can I assassinate Bill Gates for destroying my life?

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed May 23, 2007 2:17 am

Go to your local computer parts store and buy an OEM XP install CD (at my local one you have to buy some hardware to buy the OEM installer, but a screw qualifies as hardware). Boot from your new OEM CD, reformat and install XP. Problem solved.

ew

Peter Cherry

Post by Peter Cherry » Wed May 23, 2007 11:02 am

TO Ewistrand: I think we all were really waiting for so smart advices from so clever people:( When you breaks your arms, you will solve the problem by using your leg for eating or you will go for advice to a doctor ?

I think Captain Comeback also knows that returning to XP is the solution for his problem, but we are trying to solve Ableton and Vista cooperation here... without such effort you will be still running your Fastracker under DOS or even AMIGA because it was stable in its ages...

Sorry for this criticism, but these kind of advices seems to messing this forum.

Peter

pribeh_tom

Post by pribeh_tom » Wed May 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Captain,

Did you try not using any sample based instruments and using only synth based instruments via midi tracks?

Test to see if you still get crackles after using only none-sample based instruments to produce a track - with a buffer setting of about 288.
Macbook Pro (core2duo), iMac (santa rosa), OSX 10.5, X-Station, G-Drive, MPC 1000 (JJ OS 4.95).

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed May 23, 2007 4:30 pm

Peter Cherry wrote:TO Ewistrand: I think we all were really waiting for so smart advices from so clever people:( When you breaks your arms, you will solve the problem by using your leg for eating or you will go for advice to a doctor ?

I think Captain Comeback also knows that returning to XP is the solution for his problem, but we are trying to solve Ableton and Vista cooperation here... without such effort you will be still running your Fastracker under DOS or even AMIGA because it was stable in its ages...

Sorry for this criticism, but these kind of advices seems to messing this forum.

Peter
The point is that Vista isn't ready for prime time as far as audio goes. It's just that simple. There's driver incompatibilities, plugin incompatibilities and all sorts of other issues with Vista as it stands right now. And, that's talking the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version's a whole other can of worms.

In six months, it will be different. As it stands right now, the only people who I'd recommend Vista to are the people who have MCE installed and got a free Vista upgrade. As for myself, if I were to buy a new prebuilt PC today, I'd also buy a XP license and reformat/install XP before I did anything else if I planned on doing any form of DAW work with it.

ew

Captain Comeback

Post by Captain Comeback » Wed May 23, 2007 10:41 pm

After all this help from you guys (which is IMMENSLY appreciated), my worst fears have come true in realizing that it is indeed vista that is screwing up my whole system.

It really sucks, too, because I invested thousands of dollars in buying what I thought would be the best laptop, midi controllers and interfaces that money could buy so that I could effectively make the change from CD DJ and producer to full-time ableton artist. How wrong I was.

I had no warnings whatsoever that vista would be the most gigantic roadblock I would have to face in my career, but not totally researching the whole vista compatibility thing didn't help either, though who really would have thought it would be such an issue? If Microsoft had officially released this operating system finally, who would have thought it would have been as premature as it is?

Now I have spent all this money, and have to wait at least 6 months until the rest of the world catches up to vista so that I can resume my artist career the way I want.

What a fucking bunch of horse shit

Lateral

Post by Lateral » Thu May 24, 2007 7:02 am

Hi guys,
Just would like to add that I still have problems with Live6&XP too (several months now - glitchin', popin' when launching clips or scenes), even when I tried all suggestions found here... Dunno if it's similar to your Vista problems, but at this moment I'm on Live 5.2 & XP, and everything runs smoothly (even with a DJ set with more than 100 full tracks, and bunch of effects!!!). My laptop isn't so capable (specs bellow), but there is huge difference between 5 and 6 versions. I tried all versions from 6 to 6.0.7, and the result is the same - after 20-30 mins of set (no matter how many tracks, audio or MIDI,etc) I have glitches. There were several topics about it here, but none of them solved my problems. BTW, have the latest drivers, firmwares, and everything else...

Cheers.

ASUS A4K, 512RAM, 60 GB HDD, nForce3, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, UC33e

Peter Cherry

Post by Peter Cherry » Thu May 24, 2007 8:00 am

TO Ewistrand: I was waiting for a new laptop with Vista, because I had XP licence already on my old computer and you can not buy VAIO without the OS system. So I didn´t want to buy second licence of XP...

TO Captain Comeback: I am not sure that Microsoft (omitting now its monopoly behaviour :) is the only subject who is responsible for this incompatible situation... why all SW & HW firms were waiting and they did not prepare Vista compatible drivers so far...

Nevertheless I can run my VAIO Realtec HD internal soundcard with latency 11ms (256buffer) pretty well (only some small glitches when moving the cursor over some graphical elements) with 512 buffer (latency 18ms) is everything ok.

Try different ASIO4all versions and I think new version of ASIO4ALL will solve the problem a bit.