my first live performance with live tonight

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
even

my first live performance with live tonight

Post by even » Tue May 08, 2007 5:11 am

there's this underground theater festival and my brother's rock band has been called to jam and improvise to sustain the visuals and a little play and i was told to support the band with fx, glitches, sounds, beats, and the works. all good so far.

i need some pointers from you though, as i've never done this before. i am only used to working with myself. is there something i need to know to begin with? tips? things you have learned from your own similar experiences?

anything you might have to say on this matter is appreciated

and a question. how do i preview samples in my headphones, considering i've set my master out and cue out separately and cueing (when switched from solo to cue) works just fine.

thank you, you kind folk

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 08, 2007 6:45 am

Congrats.

From a novice...
Keep your head up, make eye contact with the rest of the band and the crowd when you can. Practice your set, abuse it so it doesn't crash on you. If you're more comfortable previewing, then do so, it'd probably be easier for you to know your clips ahead of time, whatever works for you. Keep your master fader in hand so you can fade out if you 'screw up' but people probably won't notice. If you do screw up pretend it's the best thing ever. Feel your place in the mix and groove with it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

even

Post by even » Tue May 08, 2007 7:11 am

thanks for the encouraging words. unfortunately, i only learned about this yesterday night when a dude was talking to the band and saying he needed a guy on a pc to to do weird stuff, so there was no time for practice, but this event is a sort of practice (it's on the terrace of a small pub) for the real thing that is scheduled for next sunday. i also just found out that it is not me that is meant to support the band but the other way around. i make crazy stuff and the band needs to join in.

i think there may be a little bit more responsability than i can handle. anyway, i'll have a glass of vodka before the show and hope for the best.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue May 08, 2007 8:08 am

i also just found out that it is not me that is meant to support the band but the other way around.
thats actually kind of good, as least you can set the tempo and groove a bit instead of having to tap tempo and follow all night...
hard part is you need to leave some room in the sound for em - how well do you know what they play like?
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue May 08, 2007 8:09 am

ps - the stuff on your virb site sound pretty good. :D

even

Post by even » Tue May 08, 2007 8:24 am

Clearscreen wrote:how well do you know what they play like?
well, they've only been playing together for the last 4-5 months and mostly doing covers. but since the drummer is my brother and i've know the guitarist, and his playing for more than a few years, i'd say i know they're playing pretty good. but since this is meant to be a jam, i don't quite know what to expect.

saw to see them rehearse last night and they started grooving and kept on jamming for about 20 minutes and it sounded great. they really connect to each other. the problem is me connecting to their vibe.
Clearscreen wrote:ps - the stuff on your virb site sound pretty good. :D
thanks, i appreciate it

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue May 08, 2007 8:36 am

the problem is me connecting to their vibe.
can you get away with glitchy percussion and textures?

even

Post by even » Tue May 08, 2007 8:45 am

Clearscreen wrote:
the problem is me connecting to their vibe.
can you get away with glitchy percussion and textures?
lol, it's even encouraged. this is an experiment and i've been told the the best i could do is weird, noisy, haunting sounds to go with an even weirder theater act. so yes

even

Post by even » Tue May 08, 2007 10:10 am

can someone please help me out as to how i can send the output of the sample preview to the cue out?