Neat Tip:How to use TWO audio interfaces with Live (MacOS X)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:39 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
M. Bréqs wrote:
Machinate wrote:also, asio4all can handle most situations at a driver level for xp... like aggregate devices in xp, it will probably be a lot more effective than jack et al.
Fucking brilliant little piece of software. It's made my life a lot easier. I can't speak highly enough about ASIO4All.

MB
I've been playing with this and can't get ASIO4ALL to work on my Edirol UA101 and my laptop's built in sound card at the same time. Any tips? If I set it to the internal card I do see many many outputs available, I activate them but they don't stay activated. I think I'm seeing all the outputs they're just not staying selected.
Hmmm. I can only offer my advice with the Echo Indigo and my laptop's headphone output...

I'm also using version 2.6, if there's a newer version I can't comment on it.

First, you have to be in "advanced" mode, not "simple" mode. In simple mode you can only toggle between devices, you can't create composite virtual ASIO devices. So click Advanced. In version 2.6, you'll know you're in Advanced mode if you can see George Bush's face and it says "Simple". I know it's counter intuitive, but that's the button to CHANGE to simple mode. If you can see Albert Einstein, you're in simple mode. Strange how that works, but there you go.

In order to enable a device's output, the device has to be enabled first.

So, minimize all your devices (hit the little plus/minus signs on each so that all the sub-folders are hidden).

Now, click on the dvice to select it. Now make sure it's highlighted green by hitting the "enable" button. Repeat for the second device.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOUR BUFFER SETTINGS ARE THE SAME FOR EACH DEVICE. You have to set each one manually. In fact, it is probably a good idea to make sure that you have ALL the same settings for each device. Latency compensation should be the same (or turned off) for each device, and you should set the resampling (44.1 / 48Khz) to the same value for each device.

Now maximize all the parameters on your devices (hit the little plus/minus signs on each so that all the sub-folders are showing). Enable the ones you want active.

Close ASIO4All.

Now, open live, and select ASIO4All as your drivers. You should see the inputs and outputs you activated earlier.

If you don't, then I have no idea what the problem is... Best of luck!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Sorted!!!

Many thanks Breqs, I've only been awake for an hour and it's a good day. ;)

8) ASIO4ALL 8)

Love the 'Beyond Logic' icon too.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:17 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Sorted!!!

Many thanks Breqs, I've only been awake for an hour and it's a good day. ;)

8) ASIO4ALL 8)

Love the 'Beyond Logic' icon too.
Bingo, glad to help. (and yeah, that Beyond Logic is quite a clever little dig...)

I think the Ableton forums need an emoticon like that!

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:44 pm

I love the aggregate interface you can make using Mac's audio/midi setup. Very handy. If you haven't figured out how to use it yet, the Ableton video from MacProVideo.com has a section that describes step by step how to set it up. It's rather brilliant, no extra software required, Tiger does it for you. No need for Jack.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

tranqui

Post by tranqui » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:46 am

ashleybrown wrote:So I guess you PC guys are out of luck unless you are running Linux, sorry! ; )
well boo fucking hoo, there is no fx teleport for mac :lol:

not to mention all the great free vsts which people don't bother to do mac versions of. I wonder who's really out of luck here...
just because you dress like a slut doesn't mean you're a slut...
and just because I act like a rapist doesn't mean I'm a rapist.