Neat Tip:How to use TWO audio interfaces with Live (MacOS X)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:56 pm

also, asio4all can handle most situations at a driver level for xp... like aggregate devices in xp, it will probably be a lot more effective than jack et al.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

DJ Trocca

Post by DJ Trocca » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Hey,

Does anyone know if this is possible using tiger with an MBOX? I am getting crazy trying to figure this out.

:-)
Mac Book Pro
OSX 10.6.X
RME - Fireface UCX
NI - Maschine
Akai APC40
http://www.facebook.com/marianotrocca

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:36 am

i can't find the aggregate devices setup in tiger. All I'm getting is audio in the prefernces menu. Help?

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:46 am

Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI setup

then Audio < Open Aggregate Device Editor

has anyone tested Jack OSX vs. Aggregate device?

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:56 pm

Works for me but not without an annoyance. I'm using a Firepod and m-audio Transit. When I open up Live it only recognizes the 10 Firepod i/o's. If I close Live and immediately reopen Live without doing anything else it will recognize the extra 2 channels of the transit but I have to enable them.

It's very annoying to have to open Live two times and redo my audio preferences to use all my i/o. Anyone run into this problem and have a solution?

Happened with Live 5.0.3 and 5.2.0, OSX 10.4.5.
Rhythm N. Beatz
iMac G5 10.4.9 2GB / Duet / Live 7 / Voyager

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Machinate wrote:also, asio4all can handle most situations at a driver level for xp... like aggregate devices in xp, it will probably be a lot more effective than jack et al.
Fucking brilliant little piece of software. It's made my life a lot easier. I can't speak highly enough about ASIO4All.

MB

bluerockgod

Re: Making it work

Post by bluerockgod » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:45 am

chris_beckstrom wrote:Check it out: I spent a long time trying to figure this out (these things don't come easy to me)

1) Open JackPilot, LineIn (freeware), and then Live
2) Live:
- Input: [your external audio interface]
- Output: JackPilot
Master: Jackpilot 1/2
Prelisten: Jackpilot 3/4

3) LineIn:
-Input from: Jack audio server
-Output to: [your external audio interface]

4) JackPilot:
make these connections:
1) LineIn out 1->Built in audio in 1
2) LineIn out 2 ->Built in audio in 2
3) Live out 1 ->LineIn in 1
4) Live out 2 ->Linein in 2
5) Live out 3 ->Built in audio in 1
6) Live out 4->Built in audio 2

5) Hit "Pass thru" in LineIn, and it should work

Upon re-examining this, I'm not sure exactly why it works... but it did for me! I hope this helps
I can't get "Line in" to show up in the Jack connections manager. I have selected "Jack router" in "Line in" but still not showing up in Jack. I'm using Panther 10.3.9, G4 ibook and an mbox.

Any ideas? this is hampering my attempt at getting this working.

Please help.
ibook G4 1.2ghz 1.25gb RAM
mbox OS 10.3.8, Live 4.1.4, Protools 6.7
edirol um1sx

www.myspace.com/michaelbevan

bluerockgod

Re: Making it work

Post by bluerockgod » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:39 am

bluerockgod wrote:
chris_beckstrom wrote:Check it out: I spent a long time trying to figure this out (these things don't come easy to me)

1) Open JackPilot, LineIn (freeware), and then Live
2) Live:
- Input: [your external audio interface]
- Output: JackPilot
Master: Jackpilot 1/2
Prelisten: Jackpilot 3/4

3) LineIn:
-Input from: Jack audio server
-Output to: [your external audio interface]

4) JackPilot:
make these connections:
1) LineIn out 1->Built in audio in 1
2) LineIn out 2 ->Built in audio in 2
3) Live out 1 ->LineIn in 1
4) Live out 2 ->Linein in 2
5) Live out 3 ->Built in audio in 1
6) Live out 4->Built in audio 2

5) Hit "Pass thru" in LineIn, and it should work

Upon re-examining this, I'm not sure exactly why it works... but it did for me! I hope this helps
I can't get "Line in" to show up in the Jack connections manager. I have selected "Jack router" in "Line in" but still not showing up in Jack. I'm using Panther 10.3.9, G4 ibook and an mbox.

Any ideas? this is hampering my attempt at getting this working.

Please help.
Okay, managed to get line in to show up and I've got things working but the sound is echoey and horrible. Any ideas?
edirol um1sx

zfigz

Post by zfigz » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:06 am

Just use the aggregate drivers for os x...that's what I do. Have headphones hooked to my internal soundcard (onboarD) and monitors to my external soundcard.

works great...

go to Audio MIDI Setup and go to the properties for aggregate device and set it up...it's pretty easy.

bluerockgod

Post by bluerockgod » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:28 am

akashik wrote:Instead of using Bidule or any other cpu intensive app, use Line In from rogue amoeba with jack tools. and it´s free.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

then you can route Live´s out 1/2 to for example Audiophile 2496 outs via jack tools and then live´s 3/4 PLF to your built in sound card via jack tools through Line In. There´s a little bit of latency that you can adjust to an almost unnoticeable delay.

cheerz

akashik
Thanks for the tip. I've got this set up working now, using line in with jack tools, but the latency is close to a full second. How do you go about adjusting the latency?

Michael
edirol um1sx

bluerockgod

Post by bluerockgod » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:17 pm

Okay, I decided to install tiger so I could ttry out the Aggregate Device Edtor. My mbox shows up fine in the Audio Midi Setup, trouble is that it doesn't show up in the Aggregate Device Editor, I only get built in audio. Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Michael
edirol um1sx

DJ Trocca

Post by DJ Trocca » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 pm

I have the same problem with my mbox. You can put the jack os x in the middle and use it that way.
If anyone knows a solution to see digidesign core audio directly will be so helpfull.
Mac Book Pro
OSX 10.6.X
RME - Fireface UCX
NI - Maschine
Akai APC40
http://www.facebook.com/marianotrocca

bluerockgod

Post by bluerockgod » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:33 am

DJ Trocca wrote:I have the same problem with my mbox. You can put the jack os x in the middle and use it that way.
If anyone knows a solution to see digidesign core audio directly will be so helpfull.
Do you mean without using another app to output to built in audio, by using jack to make the mbox link up in the aggregate device editor? How do you do that?

I got it working with jack and line in, but I had to use a buffer of 1024 and the latency was insane. I primarily want to monitor the metronome to use for live looping.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I could do this using built in audio and my mbox?
edirol um1sx

Jim Geovedi

Post by Jim Geovedi » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:58 am

AdamJay wrote:just to update this thread
since OSX 10.4 tiger, folks may want to consider using Tiger's built in "aggregate audio" features in Audio Midi Setup.
Confirmed. I was using PowerBook G4 with two cheap (~$10) USB sound cards. :)

Thanks Adam.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:10 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:
Machinate wrote:also, asio4all can handle most situations at a driver level for xp... like aggregate devices in xp, it will probably be a lot more effective than jack et al.
Fucking brilliant little piece of software. It's made my life a lot easier. I can't speak highly enough about ASIO4All.

MB
I've been playing with this and can't get ASIO4ALL to work on my Edirol UA101 and my laptop's built in sound card at the same time. Any tips? If I set it to the internal card I do see many many outputs available, I activate them but they don't stay activated. I think I'm seeing all the outputs they're just not staying selected.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz