Live looping tutorial (orig. posted on bomes site)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon May 07, 2007 2:53 am

im just going to bump this thread for
a: sticky.
b: eventual continuation on the set-up.

shame on me.

chelfyn

Post by chelfyn » Wed May 16, 2007 1:54 am

Thanks for the bump friend_kami :D

**shameless bump** #2 as someone has recently posted a request for this on the T&T forums.

I've had a few emails from people since I posted this. Thanks heaps for your appreciation - I did this to help others out of the same hole I was in, and so far I've got heaps of thanks and a free BOMES licence, so I'm very happy.

While it took a lot of work, writing this tutorial has proved an overwhelmingly positive use of my time. Sharing your knowledge really does have some excellent intangible rewards. Every positive email I have received has brightened up my day immeasurably. thanks guys.

botkiller

Post by botkiller » Wed May 16, 2007 7:50 am

Can anyone suggest a good midi translator for mac? Kid beyond mentions one on his infamous video of how he loops, but I can't make out the name. I know Bome is supposed to go mac someday, but that was announced two years ago.

Andres_W

Post by Andres_W » Wed May 16, 2007 6:15 pm

There's something I still don't understand.
Are we supposed to have an external device to send audio into Ableton?
For instance, a CDJ?
or we can do the whole live looping with clips or wav or mp3 files inside ableton?
great tutorial by the way! I was actually wonder how to do this without gettin things all screwed due the enormous amount of keys and actions I was doing, and still not getting the results I was expecting.

botkiller

Post by botkiller » Wed May 16, 2007 7:16 pm

I'm pretty sure this is geared towards live recording and then looping - but you could certainly apply it to looping preset loops. You'd have to tweak a little, but you could set it up so that clicking your MIDI trigger would set off a different sample each time, and then fool with the loops from there. I do that live, but not without looking at my Mac ;)

Andres_W

Post by Andres_W » Thu May 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Yeah, I do that too. But it's complicated because I have to have ready to empty audio channels with a routed signal from another 2 Audio channels. Those 2 channels are the ones I use to sample loops from the full tracks that I play in the other 2 channels. That empty channels have the monitor set in OFF, so when I arm them to record, the signal doesn't duplicate. Once I stop recording, I through that loop clip into any of the other audio channels that I use to throw the full tracks and/or loops. I basically use 4 channels for mixing and 2 channels for sampling
But these tutorial might have done things much much easier.

moosetim

mac program

Post by moosetim » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:22 pm

"Can anyone suggest a good midi translator for mac? Kid beyond mentions one on his infamous video of how he loops, but I can't make out the name. I know Bome is supposed to go mac someday, but that was announced two years ago."

controlaid - http://www.charlie-roberts.com/controlAid/

I have the program but still don't know precisely how to use it... let me know if you have any luck!
MacBook Pro 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1.5 GB SDRAM
Live 6.0.1, ProTools 7.1, Alesis MultiMix8FireWire, MBox 2, a microphone or two

KU

Post by KU » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:02 pm

BUMP

8O

studio1783

Can't see pictures

Post by studio1783 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Why can't I see the pictures on this thread?
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63839
I tried right mouse clicking on the X and selected Show Picture and
nothing happened.

studiesinsound

Post by studiesinsound » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:58 am

dear moostim
I haven't used controlaid
use midistroke by the same dude.
works great

note: i think the guy who wrote those apps visits these forums often so I'm sure if youhad questions how to use it he might help

but try midistroke first.
it's straight forwad and works.

duffy

Post by duffy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:07 pm

ive found all this info on live looping fantastic but i keep coming across the same problem. when looping, there is a nasty glitch in the audio when i come to stop the loop. also, if i leave it recording the loop for longer than 16 bars it totally glitches out but my cpu seems to be fine. any ideas why this maybe? im running on P4 3ghz with 2gb ram! thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:14 pm

dunno what the problem could be, does it happen when you do the same thing but with a mouse.

FWIW I wrote a max/msp patch that will let you do this with ANY number of tracks you want, it also changes scenes and uses only 1 footswitch. it can run on the FREE max/msp runtime environment. I'll probably post it within a week, still working out a few minor bugs and adding some polish to it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

KU

Post by KU » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:43 am

Tone Deft wrote:dunno what the problem could be, does it happen when you do the same thing but with a mouse.

FWIW I wrote a max/msp patch that will let you do this with ANY number of tracks you want, it also changes scenes and uses only 1 footswitch. it can run on the FREE max/msp runtime environment. I'll probably post it within a week, still working out a few minor bugs and adding some polish to it.
sounds sweet - kinda like a Jamie Lidell type rig

I would have abandoned Live Looping on Ableton long ago if not for the live midi looping and racks into the setup.

Hillyhi11s

one little problem im having

Post by Hillyhi11s » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:06 am

Ok,

I have gone through this entire tutorial a few times and its great. I have got everything set up and its recording the loops but i am having a couple of problems. These problems may be because i am new at Ableton.

1: When i plug in my turntables to start recording a loop there is an echo. I due believe this is because track "9 Input" is monitoring "In." But if i turn it to "off" it naturally wont record anything. How do i get it so it does not Echo???

2: As a temporary work around, I would record on say track "3" (by making only track 3's input Ext In, and turning Monitor to off so i dont get an echo). Then I would hit pedal 3 on my foot controller and the macro worked fine recording the audio and playing it back when I clicked 3 on my pedal again. The problem is when i want to start the loop sometimes the track just blinks red for about a second then starts recording. Then when i want it to stop it seems to do the same thing, taking a sec to stop the clip (so when it loops its all outa sync with the record). What am i doing wrong here? Should it not just start, record 1 bar, then stop and loop it?

I hope I can get help on this. I feel i am really close to getting this, but its just outa my reach.

Thanks

lamanoaqui

Re: Translator Mac?

Post by lamanoaqui » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:23 am

In operation, you start by hitting '1', then stop by hitting '1' again. if instead you'd wanted to continue on track 2, you'd have hit '1' and '2' together. not quite as smart, and no automixdown cleanup goodies on ch8, but not bad for an ableton only solution. Download it here if you like

Image[/quote]

The link is not longer available. Although there's already a Bome's version for Mac (in test, but downloadable). BUT this version is not exactly like the PC's software, because there's no default "Safe" Preset in the first place. You would have to start everything from zero, which means: understanding what BOME is about. And that's NOT as easy as this tutorial tries to put it. I mean, thanks of course, but there's a lot of steps that are absolutely impossible for Mac users.

Anybody knows about a version of this or other tutorial for live-looping in Ableton for Mac users?

Thanks, - Gabriel