Live for DJs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kabuki

Re: RE: Looping for X bars

Post by kabuki » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:00 am

Phat Kabuki wrote:You can do that using the OFFSET function in the samples parameters... I personally haven't used it, tho... how far back can U "offset"...?
I looke dinto that, and unless I'm missing something, you can only "offset so far. Not nearly long enough to reloop a section multiple times. UNLESS you can offset more than 1/2 bar in any direction...

Anyone?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

P King

ideaz

Post by P King » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:25 pm

hey...Purple...i hear you buddy...my exact thoughts...the possibilities have been keeping me awake for hours just at the thought!!!me im into more break beat kinda sounds,some house and techno.i will be touring very soon and i have been getting prepared.....

some approaches...select 5 trax....cut them all up into intros/outros/verse/chorus..then you got loops to play with...find other loops melodies accapellas etc that work with 1 or more of these tunes...maybe color code stuff so that you know what musical bits work with what on that same page...make sure all warpmarkers are done and all trax mix....

this is how im gonna start with it....after that get back into dex/cdj...reload another live file with another 5 or 6 etc....i guess its a little preconceived BUT i bet i would never mix all those elements the same way the next night!!! I dont know how this will go but im gonna have a go this friday!!!!the great thing is there is no right or wrong way...the software and thinking behind it is quite revolutionary...the way we DJs wanna use it is quite radical so the rules have not been written. Its all there do be discovered....

as far as controllers i would want 8 faders at least for audio/ 2 for sends and 1 for master....5 rotaies above each fader...cue button for all channels...mute for all...xfader...and would not mind 16 trigger pads...maybe even if it was another box...i know im dreaming but im sure there has to be someone out there that can build a bad contoller...

P king

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:09 pm

I do quit a bit of custom editing of songs in Wavelab....often to give myself some clean loop points to get in and out of tracks.

A ton of time goes into prepping tracks for a set. It is also important to have a large arsenal of tracks, ranging across a gamut of genres. I usally play out in a lounge/club in my local neighborhood....and play a multitude of genres in a night....but jazzy downtempo, brazillian influenced jams, and mellow house tunes work the best in this environment. Yet, a few weeks ago there was a bachelorette party....and they werent really feelin my sounds.....so I had to hit them with more accesible grooves. So, I had a whole bunch of bootlegs and mash ups on my drive from a mix I was messin around with.....and I just started mixin all these tracks around....and they loved it. I gave them some commrecial/accesible grooves....but mashed them and bastardized them mthe way I liked. Both parties were happy. Thank goodness for pre-planning, as there is nothing worse than loads of hot chicks who dont wanna dance. thus, preprogram a whole bucnh of styles before ya play out

DayzOne_aka_Electronimix

Post by DayzOne_aka_Electronimix » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:53 pm

this post above is from me.....forgot to sign in again. doh! my

additionally, I would recommend anyone who is a novice at audio editing, to really take time looking at the wav/audio files in general. it is important to get an accurate view of when each kick starts, etc.....so you can get clean,accurate loop points for your files.
dirtstyle

digitalrust

I Love Ableton

Post by digitalrust » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:14 pm

ez, all.

just wanted to chime in on this great topic and give you my perspective. i just played a show this weekend using only live, a 12" g4 and a remote 25. IT WAS INSANE. i can't say enough great things about using live live. so flexible depending on what you want to get out of the program.

1st off, i was booked to play an out of town gig that would be at a rather large club and a pretty well paying gig. i was asked to play a 1 hour set of just my original tracks. i made a live set using just 2 tracks which i would drag my songs into. on each track i added the new dj EQ and an autofilter. on the master track i loaded it up with practically every other live plugin except for the compressors and dynamics style plugs. and i threw on a waves C1 for main bus compression. on the 2 send tracks i loaded the first with a destroy fx buffer override and the second send with my favorite pluggos. dirty mangling.

so for the past week i got everything warp marked and set up the remote 25 to control every aspect i thought would best in the live situation. 2 sliders for track volume, 6 knobs for EQ (3 bands for each track), 6 buttons for EQ kill switches, 2 knobs for track sends, 6 sliders for wet fx levels, the xy pad for filter cutoff and res, 3 buttons to select each track (track 1, 2 and master), a button to activate loop mode, a button to return to arrangement, and a button to stop all clips. then i practiced my ass off until i had the set down perfect.

then a day before i had to leave for the gig, the promoter calls and wants me to play for 3 hours instead. whoa. i was about to freak out but decided instead to get out all of my favorite records, digitaize them, go through my cds and rip them onto my powerbook. i made a huge pot of coffee and put got set to warp marker enough tracks to fill 2 hours +. let's just say that if any of you want to get good at warp marking, just sit down and do it straight for a few hours :) you'll be knocking em out in no time.

so onto the gig. it went flawlessly. it was the most fun i've ever had playing out. djing or live shows. i was looping bits, adding fx, killing EQ, flawlessly blending, dropping loops in, filtering builds, etc etc.... for 3 hours. the crowd loved it. the promoter loved it and wants me back there every month now.

so a big thank you to ableton for making such a user friendly and flexible tool. i can't wait to play more shows now. being able to bounce back and forth between my own tracks and records i love is incredible.

Purple

Post by Purple » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:40 pm

Wow, all this is really exciting. I think we should keep this thread alive with the experiences of DJs and new ideas for all of us to share. Like P King wrote: "It's all there to be discovered", and sharing our discoveries and ideas is the quickest and most productive way to learn and progress. I can't wait to be able to share my experiences as soon as I buy all the gear and start working with it..

P King, please let us know how that friday gig went, and good luck!

BTW - P King, why do you want to load each Live file in separate and use the decks/cds in between? Isn't it possible to have all those bits that you prepared on one file?

And DayzOne: I had the same problem with signing in, what you should do is click "automatically log in" when you log in next and then the software will stop logging you out all the time.

digitalrust

Re: LIve for DJing...

Post by digitalrust » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:58 am

kabuki wrote:I'm curious. To those DJing with live:

Which algorithm are you using to stretch the audio, and what are its settings? BTW, this is the best, non-flaming, informative thread I have read on any forum bar none. Good darts, kids.
i found that the repitch is the best since it emulates what you would get with a turntable. also, there aren't the artifacts with it that i was getting using the beats algorithm.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:20 pm

Thanks.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:40 pm

In reading this thread, I think it is apparent that the use of Live for DJing warrants a new Forum sub-group.

I vote that the Ableton's admin set up another Forum Area for DJ-specific topics. Recorded Set links, tips, controler talk, etc.

Of course, a forum with only one user ain't much of a forum.

Who's with me?

digitalrust

Post by digitalrust » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:49 pm

i am!

Purple

Post by Purple » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:08 am

Me 2!

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:20 am

yeah me too.

yo rust, i hope those cds helped ya!

im thinking about trying live for my dj stuff instead of traktor studio.

originally i wanted to use them both together, but traktor won't sync to a master tempo - it will only send a master midi clock out. That sucks from an option standpoint.

At least you can sync up external MIDI gear well with Live. Much easier.

I wish that Live did have on the fly looping (as someone else pointed out earlier in this thread), but maybe with enough forthought into the track preparation that could be overcome...

:)

rob.

digitalrust

Post by digitalrust » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:49 pm

hey, man

thank you so much for them! i pulled a lot of the tracks i played off of them. i'll drop them back off to you when you're free.

danke.

Guesto

wow

Post by Guesto » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:43 pm

I've been away for a while and this thread has really taken off...

nice to see some other open-minded DJ's expanding the creative possibilities by using Live.

I tried using the Clip Start envelope mode to make some mad on the fly beats recently - go into DRAW mode and make some mad breaks in your set!! Try doing that with vinyl or CD's!

Guesto

P King

Post by P King » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:11 pm

jUST finished playin my first DJ set in LIVE in a club!!!! iM buzzing!!!
no controllers...just mouse action...had a mad time...did evrything i wanted...sounded great!!!i am really frightened at what im going to be up to in 6 months from now....
would have been better with a controller but am still very happy for a first outing...long live LIVE!!!