Live for DJs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
claudek

Post by claudek » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:02 pm

I am kind of getting the idea here..I just do not understand what you do after the 16/32 bars of time warping..The loop is on..But if I want to hear the rest of the song and continue on..after the warped area I must turn the loop off?? Or is this like the whole song is warped and looped??
Also how long does it take for you more expereinced to warp a track..I am at 16 bars and it took me about 20 minutes..Do I have to put a lock on every beat through the whole song??Oh please no!

bademantel

Post by bademantel » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:57 pm

reading guesto´s posts again would awnser your last question.

claudek

Post by claudek » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:23 pm

ok I think I almost got it as I ran a loop through thsi whole track and it sounded ok..Is this what the audio and warp markers should be like more or less??
Image[/img]

Purple

Post by Purple » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:05 pm

Wow.. had a pretty wild weekend and came back to see so many new posts in this thread. Lots of great information and ideas guys. We should end up having some gig with all the new generation Live DJs :) But just wait till I get mine and get good at it!

Guesto - but as soon as you get your PB, you will be able to use the 3 knobs above the faders for the EQ plug in if you choose?

I know what I could do with the extra time I'll get from not having to beatmix - dance! When the vibe gets really going, I usually just dance like crazy behind the decks and spend much less time mixing, even if it means the mix will not be as perfect as it could be, I'm willing to pay this price for enjoying myself, showing the crowd how much I love the music and so making them enjoy it more too, and just being there - listening and feeling the music and the people.

Jed - what you wrote was very interesting, though I couldn't yet understand all of it. btw - don't you think that a dedicated phono preamp would give a better sound than going through the mixer, even Allen & Heath (I have a very warm sounding Numark PPD DM1835X, but still I consider getting a preamp for about 200 dollars, the Graham Slee Gramamp 2, which I've heard is an amazing value for money and sounds as good as 4 digits preamps).

Regarding preamps and A/D/A convertors, I feel it's a difficult decision and you never know for sure what it will mean for your music until you try it.

What I'm thinking about, though, is not only how it will sound in the club, but also how it will sound at home, because I want to keep enjoying myself when I listen to music and work on my set. And the warmth of vinyl, the sweet overtones of a good vocal, a piano, a flute, the hi hats, etc. these are the things that make me excited, and I don't want to lose it.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:17 pm

Jed - your saying your SM clipped recording sounded punchier, but how about the warmth, especially the upper frequencies? Because when test recorded vinyl onto two different soundcards, a cheaper one - Audiowerk 8 16bit and a better one - MOTU 2408mkII 24 bit, the latter sounded warmer and better to my ears and had more detail especially in the higher frequencies.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:19 pm

I just don't get this forum.. whay does it automatically log me out every time I post? The post above was from me - Purple, still it posted as Guest. Annoying!

Purple

claudek

Beat warping Problems

Post by claudek » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:54 pm

Hi all,
I'm trying to Beat warp songs for dj'ing and is a pain in the royal arse,,
I am wondering if any of you have found easier methods of doing this.
I am starting with 1 bar, then jumping to 2 and so on I notice if i know the exact BPM and say it is 130 as I just dumped a 808 kick down at 130 and made the song tempo 136.I garbbed 16 bar loop and entered 130 as the warp time and it would not work correct..Any tips on doing this..I also noticed some areas speed up and jump off beat where the warp amrkers are nailed down..

Guesto

Post by Guesto » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:41 pm

Hi Claudek

I can't understand why you're having so much trouble with this.

It takes me around 1 or 2 minutes to go thru an entire track and enter the warp markers ready for perfect beat-matching.

I make life easier for myself by making sure I edit the track to start and end perfectly on bar starts/ends in Pro Tools before importing into Live. Then when its a clip in Live - simply click 'LOOP' and Live will try and work out the original bpm and will give you YELLOW warp markers at the start/end of the track... if you find the grid is not accurate simply delete the last warp marker and zoom in on the beginning of the clip and try dragging the grid to match up after say 16 bars (by dragging the triangle) then if you're happy that the grid is lined up properly for the first 16 bars simply double click the triangle to create a permanent YELLOW warp marker - then do it again at bar 32, etc until the whole song is tightly lined up to the grid. SIMPLE!!

The quickening/slowing between warp markers only occurs for me when I'm trying to apply a grid to a track which varies greatly tempo-wise (disco records are sometimes hard). But for house/techno/nu-jazz, etc its no problem at all.

Guesto

Purple

Post by Purple » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:44 pm

Guesto - how long does it take you to apply the grid for a disco record that varies alot?

Also - I'm reminding you of my question from above (if as soon as you get your PB, you will be able to use the 3 knobs above the faders for the EQ plug in if you choose?)

Thanks,

Purple

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:38 am

Disco track warping? Depends how bad the drummer is :wink: Some are just too varied tempo-wise to get any good results (too many artifacts). Best to take sections that are fairly constant and just drop them onto
other beats - then add auto filer plug for instantaneous LIVE disco filter tracks :D

EQ on each track? Even if the CPU allowed I still prefer to allocate the 3 knobs per track on the UC-33 to chorus/filter/delay. If they bring out an expanded UC-33 type controller that would be a better solution (as long as it was still portable - I can fit my iBook/UC-33/FW drive/cables all in
a soft record carrier case).

Guesto.

claudek

Post by claudek » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:17 am

Thanks Gusto,
I always make things harder than they really are..
I will try it out.
:)

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:48 am

claudek, page 54 in the manual should explain a couple things for you. i found it helpful for me and i had the same dificulty.

purple, are you spinning in nyc? if so how do you manage to find gigs there anymore with the caberet laws that they now have?

claudek

Post by claudek » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:15 am

Guesto wrote:Hi Claudek

simply click 'LOOP' and Live will try and work out the original bpm and will give you YELLOW warp markers at the start/end of the track...

Guesto
Hi Guesto,
Ok I went into my audio editor edited the start point as tight as I could and even cut the end to end on a even bar..cut out the solo pads at end.
(just to make thing simple and clear to start).
I then imported the file into Live. I hit the loop button and it did not give me any "Yellow" warp markers at end..I only see a GREEN one at start..Maybe it is a preference? So what is wrong here..Well see the pic below.
Thanks
Image[/img]

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:59 pm

Hi Claudek

I was trying to remember from memory the process so maybe it doesn't give you another warp marker at the end, but no matter - no just zoom in on the beginning of your track and try dragging the triangles at around BAR 8 and see if the grid matches accurately. If so - double click the triangle at BAR 8 and it will LOCK the grid and create another WARP MARKER. Then go to BAR 16 and see if the grid is still accurate to the beats... if not then just drag the triangle at BAR 16 and it wil adjust the grid from the last warp marker you made at BAR 8 - Bars 1-8 will be unaffected. Now go thru the entire track doing this and you should be done.

It may not need warp markers every 8 BARS - maybe every 16. 32, etc.

Sometimes tracks will have a section where the tempo goes haywire (old techno records with manually spliced edits are notorious for this- and have tripped up many a vinyl set!) so you may have to make warp markers between the 8 BAR, (or 16 BAR, etc) intervals.

Does that help?

Guesto

claudek

Post by claudek » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:38 pm

Hi again,
Yes now this makes more sense..It seems I had to go like every 8 bars are so and yes the edits (mostlt off beat ones) make it more difficult..
I just wanted to make sure I want on the correct path. Could you send me if posible a snapshot of what one of your warp makered track loosk like so I can see if I'm half way correct..
I think I am but I calculate most average songs are over 160 bars..So if i do every 8 bars that = 20 times and say 1 minute per region..say 20 minutes per tracK?