Ableton Live vs Ableton Live Digidesign Edition (or Delta)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ashleybrown

Ableton Live vs Ableton Live Digidesign Edition (or Delta)

Post by ashleybrown » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:35 am

A few posts and replies have tiptoed around this point (as do the ableton, digidesign and m-audio webistes)... but nobody seems to want to cough up the facts.

Does anybody have a definitive answer as to what the differences are between the full version of Live and the bundled version with digidesign or m-audio interfaces (i.e. Ableton Live Digidesign Edition or Ableton Live Delta).

I get the impression that all this silence is because the bundled versions are really not very good, but I'd like to know for sure exactly what you can't do in the Ableton Live Digidesign Edition before lashing out and buying the full version of Live. What if I don't need the extra features? What if I do?

It's a little hard to make an informed decision on which option to pursue without the facts (i.e. full version of live + cheaper audio interface vs. expensive audio interface with bundled-but-cut-down-version-of-live).

I saw the reply from S.Balm (ableton support) but this didn't seem to elaborate on what the key differences are.

Anybody?

Dikkker

or Live SE with Evolution X-Session

Post by Dikkker » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:13 pm

I have the same question... but for the Live SE version, bundled with the Evolution X-Session.

Even though, it is not really costly. The X-Session is a rather cheap Midi-Interface and Faderbox, sold between 110 and 130 Euro. The predecessor (UC16) costed the same, and the X-Session includes a license of Live SE.

So I do not really expect a mountain of features in that version, even though - I don't mind. For no money, I do not expect a lot, but something at least.

Even though, I would be interested in SOME info. Propellerheads do also have a cut down version of Reason (Adapted) and on their website, you find at least a very bit of info... of course, such a version is mainly advertising, and teasing - but hey.. a few words wouldn't hurt..

Cheers

Dikkker

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:50 am

I had to dig, but I found this online. Looks pretty darn limited.

Ableton Live Digidesign Edition
Some of the features included in Live Digidesign Edition:
• ReWire Slave
• Render to Disk
• Metronome
• 6 Tracks
• 1 Send Track
• Chorus Effect
• Compressor Effect
• EQ 4-band Effect
• Ping Pong Delay Effect
• Direct I/O support
• Arranger Editing
• 8 scenes

stew

Post by stew » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:56 am

If the bundled versions are similar to the "Live XS" version that was a free download for the remix contest, the main limitation for me was that it is fixed on stereo output. Also, it came with a severely reduced number of effects. It could be that the M-Audio bundles support more, though, it wouldn't make that much sense to bundle stereo-only software with multichannel hardware.

BTW, what happened to Steinberg Remix? I couldn't find it on their web site, is that discontinued?

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:29 pm

Hi folks,

here's an overview about the limitations of Live Delta and Live Digidesign. Please keep in mind that these versions are directly selled from us.

Live Digidesign limitations:
-------------------------------
- No ReWire master but ReWire slave
- Maximal 6 play tracks
- Maximal 1 send track
- Maximal 8 scenes
- Only Digi Audio hardware can be used
- Only stereo in and out
- No MIDI sync
- No MIDI remote
- No tap tempo
- No tempo automation
- Only Chorus, Compressor, Eq4 and Ping Pong Delay
- No VST support
- No crossfader

Live Delta limitations:
-------------------------
- No ReWire master
- No ReWire slave
- Maximal 10 play tracks
- Maximal 2 send track
- Maximal 5 scenes
- No session view recording
- Only stereo in and out
- No MIDI sync
- No MIDI remote
- No tap tempo
- No tempo automation
- Only Chorus, Compressor, Eq4 , Gate and Ping Pong Delay
- Only one VST at the same time can be used
- No crossfader

regards,
Alex

Mars

Post by Mars » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:09 am

And, as I've just discovered - no triplet or swing quantize. (Unless this isn't in the full version too)