Studio monitors...?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
guidold

Studio monitors...?

Post by guidold » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Hi all, I'm interested in getting some studio monitors, and I'd appreciate some help...
I know that eventually it all comes down to me (my ears, more specifically), and how I hear the sound coming from the monitors.

I was interested in the following monitors (I haven't had time to try them out yet though):

Alesis M1 MKII Active
M-Audio BX8a
M-Audio BX5a
Rokit RP6
Rokit RP5

Which one of these do you think is best? Which other ones would you suggest?

What about the M-Audio Studio Pro 3? Do they stand a chance against any of the ones I listed above?

I am barely just starting out, building my own studio, and I am aware that monitors are a key part of it. Basically, I just want to get some monitors that will give me good bang for my buck.
So please, could anyone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by guidold on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:21 pm

I chose KRK RP5 over all of the M-Audio and Yamaha monitors I tested that were in the same price range. My friend has the Alesis M1, and they sound pretty nice.

edge100

Post by edge100 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 pm

Add these to your list. Both are (IMHO) better than the monitors you've mentioned:

Tascam VL-X5 (forget what you think you know about Tascam...these are NICE...heard them once, didn't buy them...couldn't find them again!)
Yorkville YSM2P (I bought these, after a direct comparison to all of the monitors on your list...get the YSM1Ps if you can, just to gain a little extra bass)
Last edited by edge100 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute there
I lost myself

guidold

Post by guidold » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks for your support...I'll look into the monitors you mentioned.

Basically, I just want to get an idea of what people's experiences were with different monitors before I go out and buy my own (I'll go and check some out when I have some time)

Soundmatters

monitors.

Post by Soundmatters » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:35 pm

I have a pair of tascam´s VL5, and I like them.
They are a good choice for a small studio setup, with a 5" LF driver they still go down to 40 Hz.
They are accurate for mixing, please have in mind that you must position them correctly, avoid reflections from your working desk and gear, and try to get them away from room corners.If you need extra bass power, buy a sub....
For 250 euros the pair I am very happy! :)

good luck!

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:24 pm

RP

jamie3

Post by jamie3 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:18 am

i have the alesis monitors and they are great for anyone looking into getting an entry level set of monitors.

JahGuide

Post by JahGuide » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:29 am

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:45 am

Some of these monitors in the sub $800 level are really f-ing loud, like the Behringer Truth monitors, they only play loud. Are any of these like that?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:54 am

check out ADAM's products as well.
i'm really happy with the A7 i bought.
deep and bright.

bgc

Post by bgc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:25 am

I have the KRK RP6. I DO NOT have a lot of experience with monitors (nor a lot of cash) but they seem to be pretty usable as far as playback and creation goes. I can't say for final mix perfection and all of that. I've not really done that as of yet. I mean, I've heard of Deerhoof mixing stuff on those little tiny desktop speakers. That stuff sounds pretty good...

The KRK RP line is fairly inexpensive as well.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 am

i have m-audio bx8 (the old ones not the a)
and i must say i am quite anxious to upgrade them....
in true honesty,
i cannot say they sound bad, quite te opposite,
i have the feeling they sound too good and are not clinical enough...

i recently had a very bad experience when listening to my tracks on mackie hr 824 (wich have always been on my top 5), as they sounded really bad even though they sounded pretty good on their native bx8 and also sounded convincing on different tests i did on alesis m1 mk2, genelec 1029, jbl small p.a. and assorted stereo systems

i would advise you to stay away from m-audio

i am also curious about rokit series, expecially the rp8
but in a thread i posted about rokit vs the v series most of people told the v´s where alot superior to the rokits,
like even the smallest v4 is better than the bigger rokit rp8...

Tone Deft:
you talked about cheaper speakers only playing loud, what do you mean ?
what happens when you play them not so loud ???
i ask this beacuse 8" speakers are way too big for my space but i cannot think of stepping down...
as such they are alway playing quite below of what they are able to, can this be misleading ?

dm

Post by dm » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:13 am

i own a pair of yamaha hs50m active monitors, which i think sound very good for the price. very flat response and fit well in a small studio. i always see m-audio and krk monitors compared in threads like these, and wonder why the yamahas dont get more mention. when i was shopping for new monitors i listened to them all, and ended up having a tough decision between the yamahas and krks, and went for the yamahas in the end due to the value for money factor.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS50M/reviews/

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:15 am

nonnus wrote:Tone Deft:
you talked about cheaper speakers only playing loud, what do you mean ?
what happens when you play them not so loud ???
i ask this beacuse 8" speakers are way too big for my space but i cannot think of stepping down...
as such they are alway playing quite below of what they are able to, can this be misleading ?
Sorry, I didn't mean all cheaper speakers. Just after hearing Behringer Truths and seeing that they can't be played softly, the dude who had them showed me that the input gain was down yet we couldn't get them to chill out and play at an 'after midnight apartment' jam. They cannot be played at low volumes unless you turn down the master volume in Live. Or maybe the dude who had him was a dumbshit, he is, but I saw the input gain adjustment turned all the way down.

Dunno, I've had gearlust for some Mackie 824s for-fucking-ever, classic monitor, it's like buying a POS Ferrari because fuckin-a, it's a Ferrari (more like a Delorean, I know). At the same pricepoint Genelecs seem like the better reputation. I still use ghetto Event PS5s, weak in the bass but OK. I've been living in apartments since I moved out of the parent's place half my life span ago.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:16 am

i'm pretty happy with my Event ALP5's.

The bass extension isnt great though, so I might need to spend a few $ on a subwoofer. The new Event S100 seems like it would make a great companion

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S100Sub/