increase font dpi size of ableton layout

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
elderic

increase font dpi size of ableton layout

Post by elderic » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Hey =)

is there a possibility in ableton to increase the font dpi/size? I got a 17" dell laptop with 1920x1200 and it's all a tinyyyy bit small :P

-marcus

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:04 pm

you don't "increase the dpi value" in software, since it depends on what people use, naturally. You do that on the hardware... and I must say that on my 13.3" the size of Ableton Live is just fine ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

elderic

Post by elderic » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Machinate wrote:you don't "increase the dpi value" in software, since it depends on what people use, naturally. You do that on the hardware... and I must say that on my 13.3" the size of Ableton Live is just fine ;)
well, actually... you do.

that's what different dpi-sizes are for. so things look bigger without screwing the layout too much (it still happens. sucks. I wish everybody would _finally_ switch to vector guis, but not all of humanity woke up just yet). You can do that on the desktop in the screen menu; advanced section. windows even shows you how large a 10pt Arial looks at that dpi setting.

problem is: ableton seems to work independent from the windows configuration. and on my laptop resolution, the typical font size in ableton is about 2-3 mm high for capital letters.

you can imagine that it's not too super to read from about a meter away.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:44 pm

I had the same problem with my 17" Macbook pro, then I just changed the resolution of the screen and the fonts in ableton Live are a bit bigger... 8)

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm

I fiddled around with changing the screen resolution on my 17" MBP but it just made everything too soft.
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

elderic

changing screen resolution is sub-par

Post by elderic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:44 am

the problem is, that the screen resolution of the tft is a fixed size.
if you lower the screen resolution, you will get unsharpness, stretching artefacts, etc.

usually, changing the dpi-size works well. I did it for all the fonts in windows and i can finally use the laptop for 8 hours without eye strain.
some apps just don't use the windows-rendering and ableton seems to be one of them. sucks.

I wish people would finally adopt vector-guis. I cannot state this any clearer.
no more breaching of layout and resize as large as you want.
well at least vista now finally got a library for stuff like that.

they could've done it in ableton if they wanted to.
if they're already painting the gui manually, they could've painted everything vector-wise, too.

this starts to become a very nasty problem with further increase of the tft resolution. I cannot imagine how small it must look on a 12.1" screen with 1024x768 =/ (or even larger - like some of the recent DELL laptops have if I recall correctly).