Do you like itunes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you like itunes

yay
60%
nay
40%

Total votes: 53

lesterdiamond

Do you like itunes

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:45 pm

I can't stand it, I used it to convern a bunch of files and now I have 900 files that I have to delete individually, because it won't allow me to delete a group of files

laurence

Post by laurence » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:53 pm

never wanted to use the thing- primarialy because it converts tunes to shitty format- WTF is the point?wmp all the way
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

lesterdiamond

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:55 pm

I use it for my ipod, I love having an ipod but using itunes is just terrible.

laurence

Post by laurence » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:57 pm

never had an ipod- minidisc all the way :lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Never even had a minidisc... Edison wax cylinders for me!

But seriously, folks... iTunes works great for me. I especially like Smart Playlists. I wonder if those who bitch and moan about it really know how to use it.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 pm

hambone1 wrote:But seriously, folks... iTunes works great for me. I especially like Smart Playlists. I wonder if those who bitch and moan about it really know how to use it.
+1

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Love It!

I always organise my Mp3's in itunes, right names ect, and then import the files in Traktor3....

Works like a charm.. :-)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:24 pm

It will never beat Winamp tho

lesterdiamond

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:39 pm

Well I believe having to delete files individually is worth bitching and moaning about!

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:41 pm

laurence wrote:never wanted to use the thing- primarialy because it converts tunes to shitty format- WTF is the point?wmp all the way
Are you being sarcastic? What's wrong with the mp3 format, compared to, say, craptacular windows media?

Anyways, I voted "no". iTunes does what it's supposed to do, but it's annoying how restrictive the interface is. I really wish winamp was ported to OSX... I'd switch in a heartbeat. But as long as we're bitching about iTunes, here's my laundry list of complaints:

- Podcast support totally sucks, to the point where I've taken to just using safari's RSS support for audio podcasts and democracy for video ones. Why on earth apple engineers decided that the podcast playlist was somehow sacred and therefore should not automatically play the next song in the playlist is totally beyond me. Also annoying is the fact that you can't disable the song position holder for podcasts. Also also annoying is the fact that you can't drag a podcast into your library/ipod/whatever. Apparently apple is under the impression that people are only using podcasting technology to listen to bloggers talk about stuff for an hour or so.... whereas some people like myself are using it exclusively to get new music.
- You can't customize the columns for an iPod's playlists. I only need to see: artist/album/songname. I don't care about the last time I heard the song, or how many stars I decide to give it... yet, iTunes makes me care. How nice of it.
- For as big as apple is on the whole "shuffle" thing with the iPod, you'd think that iTunes would remember if you turned it on last time you ran the program. Or at least have a shortcut key for it. In general, it seems that iTunes is pretty good about forgetting all of it's window settings when it comes to the iPod....
- Say you want to listen to a particular song in your library after the present one is done.... oh, well, that's a shame, because you can't actually drag around the songs in your library! I guess you should make a damn playlist for everything.
- Contrary to popular belief, smart playlists are not so smart. Just try to make a smart playlist to organize your podcast stuff... you'll find that it basically is as dumb as the regular podcast playlist, except now you have another entry in your sidebar....

Anyways, I'm done bitching for today. :) I should mention that I really do like iTunes 90% of the time... it's just these strange UI decisions that apple sometimes makes that drive me nuts.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:01 pm

laurence wrote:never wanted to use the thing- primarialy because it converts tunes to shitty format- WTF is the point?wmp all the way
erm... you change the format to be whatever you like. i use winamp on my pc and tunes on my apple - personally i think its a wicked bit of kit once youve set it up the way you want it to run. smart playlists = 8)

laurence

Post by laurence » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:04 pm

jeskola wrote:
once youve set it up the way you want it to run. smart playlists = 8)
WTF is the point of converting perfectly good audio files?eh?

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:10 pm

laurence wrote:
jeskola wrote:
Well, converting uncompressed -> compressed (or vice versa) is pretty normal.... I don't see why you'd want to convert from one compressed format to another, unless it's windows media to any other format.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:12 pm

laurence wrote:
jeskola wrote:
you may have hundreds of cds you want to import, do you really want to store them as wavs? alot of people aint fussed if theyre listening to 192 mp3 or 320's let alone wavs (in fact im sure a vast majorty of users neither know the difference nor care), and what if they dont have hundrdes of gigs spare - people really do want to store there music collection as mp3s these days.

set the thing to wavs if it really bothers you that much

:roll: :roll:

Sales Dude McBoob

Re: Do you like itunes

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:17 pm

lesterdiamond wrote:I can't stand it, I used it to convern a bunch of files and now I have 900 files that I have to delete individually, because it won't allow me to delete a group of files
Uhh.... I have iTunes 7. The tried and true method of shift/click allows you to select and delete as much shit as you desire in one shot.