screwed with VISTA when shopping for PC notebook

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glu

screwed with VISTA when shopping for PC notebook

Post by glu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Looks like the only major manufacturer to offer XP on notebooks is SONY.

Sucks, cause I was looking at HP's DV9000T which offers two 7200RPM HDs -but it only comes with VISTA.

I guess this narrowed down my search. Looks like I may have to just build a desktop PC if I want XP on a new machine--- Or get a macbook pro.. and run XP on bootcamp. Pretty F-ed up.

Anyone else in the same boat? What are you planning on doing?
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:27 pm

I just got a new desktop (e6600 core2duo w. geforce 8800 gts) and I deliberately bought one sans OS, because I have an Xp-license I can transfer.

I don't quite understand the logic of buying a mac and running xp on that - then why not just buy a brand-name pc and install xp on that? Either way you're paying for two os'es?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:30 pm

perhaps I am confused then, in talking to the rep @ HP- I was led to believe I couldn't install XP on a new notebook. He said there aren't proper XP drivers for XP with the new notebooks. Is he in error then? (hope so)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:34 pm

:lol:

Let me get this straight.
Technology in PC's evloved soooo fast that you can only run vista on them :lol:

Sorry man, go back to that store and kick the salesman in the nuts. Then again and again and....

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:38 pm

Machinate wrote:I just got a new desktop (e6600 core2duo w. geforce 8800 gts) and I deliberately bought one sans OS, because I have an Xp-license I can transfer.

I don't quite understand the logic of buying a mac and running xp on that - then why not just buy a brand-name pc and install xp on that? Either way you're paying for two os'es?
well, i would try it first, if I were you. The only system on the planet that can run every major os properly. It's a liberating feeling. I get the best of all worlds. Bootcamp is great and gives me the power I need for production using windows, instead of using virtualization. If I want to use osx for production (and logic), and boot windows via parallels for one or two windows vst plugins, that works as well. It's a win, win situation, the way I see it. It makes all the sense in the world to me.
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:59 pm

glu wrote:perhaps I am confused then, in talking to the rep @ HP- I was led to believe I couldn't install XP on a new notebook. He said there aren't proper XP drivers for XP with the new notebooks. Is he in error then? (hope so)
No he's right - the drivers "aren't with the new notebooks" - they're on the xp installation disk, though! ;-)

first rule of laptop-club: Never listen to the rep.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:05 pm

whatta fucker he is. I thought that was the case- So, I can buy my $30 student copy of XP and all should be well then!? hmm....

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:06 pm

yes. Oh yes.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Muahahahhaaha!

Thanks Machinate.

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:18 pm

I don't see the problem with Vista. I run an EMU1820m and Vista. Live 6 is actually a little more efficient under Vista then it was in XP.
Just make sure your audio device has drivers for Vista, and you'll be absolutely fine.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:48 pm

Funkstar De Luxe wrote:I don't see the problem with Vista.
my soundcard currently has no driver for Vista- and there's plugs and shareware that may have an adverse reaction. Awesome if it's working for you right now, I choose to be a little skeptical for the meantime.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:29 pm

If the drivers don't come on the Windows disc which some of them won't you can always go to the manufacturer website and download the correct drivers there. I bought a HP DV6174 that came with Windows Media Center, wiped the drive and installed XP on it. I had downloaded all the drivers from the HP site first, and it all went very smoothly. All I can say in my case I got a great bang for the buck (6 months ago), HP Core 2 Duo, with 15.4" screen, 2GB of RAM, 120GB SATA drive, NVIDIA 256MB dedicated graphics, etc for $1150 at Costco. The thing works great, with my Konnekt24D, and even with the ASIO4All driver. The one thing you'll have to look out for is that XP won't detect SATA drives, so you will have to do the old F6 pressing during the XP install, so that you can install the correct SATA driver from a Floppy.

Ken

glu

Post by glu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:57 pm

kenporter wrote: The one thing you'll have to look out for is that XP won't detect SATA drives, so you will have to do the old F6 pressing during the XP install, so that you can install the correct SATA driver from a Floppy.

Ken
from a floppy...? really? So then I would have to go out and get an external USB floppy drive? That doesn't seam right...

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:05 pm

Yes, unfortunately when installing the SATA HD driver (F6 is the command for that during Windows XP installation), the only way to install this driver from is from a floppy. I tried a USB stick or external HD but it didn't work. It looks for a floppy. However, you can pick up an external USB floppy drive for $10-$20 these days, so it's not that big of a deal imho. It was worth installing XP on my machine. I will wait with Vista until everything has been cleared up, and all the bugs that may appear have been fixed. :)

Ken

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:41 pm

kenporter wrote:The one thing you'll have to look out for is that XP won't detect SATA drives, so you will have to do the old F6 pressing during the XP install, so that you can install the correct SATA driver from a Floppy.

Ken
really ! I am surprised at that... I have a MAcbookPro and installed XP on one partition using bootcamp and all MBPros have sata drives.. I suppose if thats the case Apple must have put the right drivers for the SATA drives in bootcamp .. Drivers are the bane of Windows ..
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,