audiofire 2/4 + mbp user ? please read this

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickey disco

Post by mickey disco » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:20 am

i bought an audiofire 2 for my intel iMac last year and the stupid thing never worked properly- audio was fine, but the headphone output would not work and it refused to transmit midi. echo tech support were totally useless (i'm still waiting for a reply to my email...), and i sent it back and got a refund in the end.

sorry i can't be of more help in solving your problem, but in my (admittedly limited) experience there is a big question mark over echo products and support. send it back!

robin

Post by robin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 am

mickey disco wrote:i bought an audiofire 2 for my intel iMac last year and the stupid thing never worked properly- audio was fine, but the headphone output would not work and it refused to transmit midi. echo tech support were totally useless (i'm still waiting for a reply to my email...), and i sent it back and got a refund in the end.

sorry i can't be of more help in solving your problem, but in my (admittedly limited) experience there is a big question mark over echo products and support. send it back!
Most people swear by their Echo Indigo DJs.

Echo support even answered my question about card slots when the MBP came out.

Having said that the lack of response to your question is pretty shoddy.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am

ahm,
i must say i was pretty disapointed with echo tech support aswell
at least the person who i have been talking to,
marcel mauri
has proven to be completelly useless...

i always read good things about them over here,
maybe it was good sometime ago when they had bigger prfit margins or whatever
like the build quality of products decreasing in the last years as prices drop aswell

in their defense they seem to answer a first contact quite quickly,
but in my experinece if the issue is not a simple question or indeed involves some kind of malfunction as this one they became vague and start to answer really slow...

i first emailed them about the issue i posted about on 11 of december,
today is 20 of february and the issue is still present
drivers are still the same...

so i must say i can totally understand mickey disco attitude

i am being quite pushed towards his situation

returning the audiofire,
probably for a ultralite, at least it seems quite tried and tested on mbps
and warning people when asked about echo audio stuff

is´n there more people around here with mbp + audiofire 2/4 who can report if they had any issues ?

please ?

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:37 am

robin wrote:
nonnus wrote:do the mb have fw 800 ?

i think the problem is there...

if i remember it started with the 17" mbp cd, the first mpb featuring fw800 and then spread across the entire range on the c2d upgrade that features fw800 on all mbp
The MB doesn't have fw800. Good theory.
yep...
good theory but a bad excuse....

if it had problems in the first implemtation they should have fixed it the next ones...
it just negates the adventage of having the only laptops with 6 pin fw...

i just don´t understand modern engineering

robin

Post by robin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:44 am

It sounds to me like a firmware issue. I think Echo are struggling to get the issue sorted for MacOSX. This post

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =audiofire

suggests that they updated the firmware and rikhyray and others had trouble and they pulled it.

I don't know of a firewire interface in this price range that doesn't have issues at times (that include the edirol FA boxes, the Firebox, the m-audio 410, focusrite sapphire etc etc). At least there's no blowing up of FW ports or high pitched whines.

The only other option for me would be the ultralite (i wish they made an ultra-lite-lite) which seems rock solid but is a little big for my current needs and is pretty expensive in Europe compared with the US price.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:04 pm

looool
i just read the post

they where expecting a quick fix...
more than 1 month ago...

i think i read it when they post it
because i even bothered to ask tech support about wich driver to install
as i have an intermediate version (higher than the one on the site)
and when i received the second audiofire i noticed in the site was still 3.0.2

the tech support wasn´t honest enough to warn me that they are aware of any issues regarding osx...

robin

Post by robin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:06 pm

nonnus wrote:looool
i just read the post

they where expecting a quick fix...
more than 1 month ago...

i think i read it when they post it
because i even bothered to ask tech support about wich driver to install
as i have an intermediate version (higher than the one on the site)
and when i received the second audiofire i noticed in the site was still 3.0.2

the tech support wasn´t honest enough to warn me that they are aware of any issues regarding osx...
Aha! So wind back to 3.0.2 and see if you get the problem. Report back please :)

3.0.2 is mostly ok for me

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 pm

ehehehh,

good try, but no...

i installed 3.0.2.... :roll: :wink:

robin

Post by robin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:22 pm

nonnus wrote:ehehehh,

good try, but no...

i installed 3.0.2.... :roll: :wink:
oh well...we need new firmware then. we need to badger Echo....oh wait you've already done that.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm

I got my echo audiofire 2 after hearing very good things on this forum from people about them.
Cannot say I agree about the comments on drivers being great and only problem they have being marketing. In fact I strongly disagree about the drivers being great...problems so far (Digital Out not locking to the correct samplerate, and shady quality).
I updated my audiofire2, and since then its become a brick.
If I plug it into a mac (I've tried two), its kernel panic as soon as its plugged in. So right now I'm unable to use it. Seems like its been almost two months and still no update for me (Although I was told it would be two weeks tops by their support when I reported the fault).
So overall I am very unimpressed. Nice sound let down by the software imo.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

robin

Post by robin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:37 pm

kineticUk wrote:I got my echo audiofire 2 after hearing very good things on this forum from people about them.
Cannot say I agree about the comments on drivers being great and only problem they have being marketing. In fact I strongly disagree about the drivers being great...problems so far (Digital Out not locking to the correct samplerate, and shady quality).
Who said the drivers/firmware were great? Just for the record, I didn't say anything like that.
Nice sound let down by the software imo.
Looks that way, yes.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:42 pm

i am very curious to know what they say to serotoninsteve
please keep us updated on this...

i have to say i´ve pretty much given up on the audiofire

i suppose i´ll try to strech the cash a little to reach the ultralite
i know for sure if i go this way i´ll never look back...

i just think it is a shame as the audiofires where the finest candidates for a robust conveniently priced audio interfaces

i was / am just trying to gather some info from the busy people here @ the forum

robin

Post by robin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:45 pm

nonnus wrote:i am very curious to know what they say to serotoninsteve
please keep us updated on this...

i have to say i´ve pretty much given up on the audiofire

i just think it is a shame as the audiofires where the finest candidates for a robust conveniently priced audio interfaces

i was / am just trying to gather some info from the busy people here @ the forum
From the other thread linked above:
kineticUk wrote: I found that the problem also relates to a driver used, which will be part of the OSX 10.4.9 update. So basically I think I'm waiting for 10.4.9 and afterwards the echo driver will no doubt follow this.
If it was me with all the problems and they'd not responded I'd send this thread (and the other) to the Echo support email. Surely they must see this needs addressing.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:50 pm

robin wrote:
kineticUk wrote:I got my echo audiofire 2 after hearing very good things on this forum from people about them.
Who said the drivers/firmware were great? Just for the record, I didn't say anything like that.
Nice sound let down by the software imo.
Looks that way, yes.
robin,
i think he was not refering to you,
i also read an old post where someone stated that echo was very good, only the marketing wasn´t,
clearly this was an acho audio marketing scheme ver ths forum... 8O

kineticUk:
have you tried to revert to 3.0.2 ?
i think you just need to run the console and close it to update the firmware, not sure if this works going down though...

i really agree in the sound quality,
i still find it amazing,
just hope not to be dispointed with an ultralite on that subject...

robin

Post by robin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:53 pm

nonnus wrote: robin,
i think he was not refering to you,
i also read an old post where someone stated that echo was very good, only the marketing wasn´t,
clearly this was an acho audio marketing scheme ver ths forum... 8O
Noted, and apologies to kineticUK.