I want to record my vocals and play them out on the keys

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ishnock

I want to record my vocals and play them out on the keys

Post by ishnock » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:18 am

How do I set this up?

I want to take the vocals that I have recorded on the audio track and play them out on the controller. ...I tried dropping the clip into simpler, and it reads it, but it doesnt play anything back...it just gives out LFO sounds

I looked through the manual and checked the website but there wasnt any information on it.

Thank you.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:23 am

you need to send it some notes
assign a controller

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 am

You could just use a keyboard to trigger the clips in session view, just switch the quantise off for those clips, assign the keys to the clips and fire at will!

ishnock

Post by ishnock » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:16 am

muthafunka wrote:You could just use a keyboard to trigger the clips in session view, just switch the quantise off for those clips, assign the keys to the clips and fire at will!
Okay, how do I assign the keys to the clip( in the Audio track)? ...In the Midi track, I see it( but vocals are not recorded through the midi track), and it is set for all channels, but in the audio track there is no such feature.

Tone Deft

Re: I want to record my vocals and play them out on the keys

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:23 am

ishnock wrote:I looked through the manual and checked the website but there wasnt any information on it.
C'mon pal, you're so full of $#!t.
/end rant

hit the midi learn button along the top right corner of the Live window, the screen changes color, ANYTHING that changed color can be assigned to a midi button. Click a clip (a box with midi or audio data in it) then hit a button on your controller, you can also use the computer keyboard with the 'keyboard assign' button.

Another cool feature... Notice that when you hit the midi learn button, a NEW box appeared below each track, above the monitor section. That button launches the clip in that track for the selected scene. So, with a knob set to scene select, and a few buttons set to those buttons you can launch a huge number of clips.

Yet another cool feature, hold down a midi note, clip a clip, hold down another midi note and click the clip, your sample will be pitch shifted from one note to the next. I haven't done this in a WHILE but it's something like that, maybe someone can correct me.

Keep the help box open in the lower left corner of the screen, it has a LOT of great info in it and please DO consult the manual, we're glad to help but respect is a two way street. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 am

oh, and if your controller isn't working, go to options->preferences->midi and for the port that the midi device is connected to, enable TRACK IN and REMOTE IN. Read the help box or the manual to see what these features do.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 am

Screw the manny, just watch "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" that's how I learned ;-)

ishnock

Post by ishnock » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:37 am

Tone Deft wrote:
ishnock wrote:I looked through the manual and checked the website but there wasnt any information on it.
C'mon pal, you're so full of $#!t.
/end rant

hit the midi learn button along the top right corner of the Live window, the screen changes color, ANYTHING that changed color can be assigned to a midi button. Click a clip (a box with midi or audio data in it) then hit a button on your controller, you can also use the computer keyboard with the 'keyboard assign' button.

Another cool feature... Notice that when you hit the midi learn button, a NEW box appeared below each track, above the monitor section. That button launches the clip in that track for the selected scene. So, with a knob set to scene select, and a few buttons set to those buttons you can launch a huge number of clips.

Yet another cool feature, hold down a midi note, clip a clip, hold down another midi note and click the clip, your sample will be pitch shifted from one note to the next. I haven't done this in a WHILE but it's something like that, maybe someone can correct me.

Keep the help box open in the lower left corner of the screen, it has a LOT of great info in it and please DO consult the manual, we're glad to help but respect is a two way street. ;)

thanx for the info, but you didnt have to diss a cat ...I looked through the manual and I didnt see it, that's all I'm saying.

But peace.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:21 am

ishnock wrote:thanx for the info, but you didnt have to diss a cat ...I looked through the manual and I didnt see it, that's all I'm saying.

But peace.
It can be difficult to remember what it's like first learning Live, happy beat banging!!

Keep that help box open, it was the first feature in Live to really blow me away, sooooo damn helpful.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dango

Post by dango » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:58 am

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR...............................

A SAMPLER

map them shits out :)