know anything about casio sk-1?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

know anything about casio sk-1?

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:30 pm

I've been reading the specs of these little toys. it mentions envelope modes. are these preset volume envelopes that can be used on the samples?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:34 pm

I know that if you have one, and don't circuitbend it, you will go straight to hell... before you're even dead :cry:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:37 pm

I saw one at a flea market one time for $15 canadian but I didn't have any more money on me. I think I should have gotten a cup and start begging for quarters.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:42 pm

I would love to bend one, but I'd be scared of killing it too. mostly I want a midi'd one though.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:07 pm

Mine hasn't turned on in over 2 years but worked great up till then- and I'm the original owner! Damn, I need to crack it open and get it going again.

As far as the envelopes go, if I remember correctly they were very simple ADSR presets, i.e. slow-attack, etc. Nothing to get excited about.

My friend has a bent one and it's great. He uses it on his house trax all the time and it's not even as obnoxious as that sounds!

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:20 pm

[Image

Here's mine, circuit bent to the max, patch bay, switches, pressure sensitive strip and metal body contacts. IMO MIDI isn't really necessary, you kind of need to jam sounds on it (it crashes all the time) and record it into Ableton, then warp it into shape. Perfect. Envelopes are nothing special.
SK-1's are hard to break, and easy to bend if you can solder drill holes and search for websites with tips on Google you should be able to do it. I did mine in a day.[/img]

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:31 pm

that's not circuit-bent, that's circuit-munted! 8)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:36 pm

djsynchro wrote:[Image

Here's mine, circuit bent to the max, patch bay, switches, pressure sensitive strip and metal body contacts. IMO MIDI isn't really necessary, you kind of need to jam sounds on it (it crashes all the time) and record it into Ableton, then warp it into shape. Perfect. Envelopes are nothing special.
SK-1's are hard to break, and easy to bend if you can solder drill holes and search for websites with tips on Google you should be able to do it. I did mine in a day.[/img]
is that box below it part of the unit??

midi is necessary if you want to feed it perfect rhymic patterns which I do.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:39 pm

in my opinion spending time to midi-fy an SK-1 would be a very large waste of time. But that shouldn't stop anyone from a hobby-project :-D

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:42 pm

well think about it like this machinate. you got a record playing into it, and you're constantly feeding midi into it, and then you just periodically sample something new. this next to a crossfader and other stuff would be fun. people would recignise the audio but it would be kinda mangled and changing in pitch. and of course if you've made other mods then you could really get crazy all the while it's still in sync.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45 pm

well, a bent AND midi-fied SK-1 is definitely a good thing :)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 pm

Machinate wrote:well, a bent AND midi-fied SK-1 is definitely a good thing :)
I've seen some crazy bent and midi'd ones on ebay but it just seems ungenuine to buy prebent stuff. I'm down with buying a midi'd one but the prebent stuff just seems like cheating.

that and they never post sound examples so you have no freaking clue what you're getting.

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:02 am

perfect rhymic patterns
perfect eh?

god bless machines....
& the fear of actually playing something in time

i'm busy trying to capture decidedly imperfect rhythmic patterns...

but hey i dont make house music ;)

/kidding

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:05 am

subbasshead wrote:
perfect rhymic patterns
perfect eh?

god bless machines....
& the fear of actually playing something in time

i'm busy trying to capture decidedly imperfect rhythmic patterns...

but hey i dont make house music ;)

/kidding
I used perfect loosely, I enjoy unquantized stuff as much as the next guy but I like perfect loops.

no I don't make house.

and I do play keyboard, I'd like the option of playing or midi sequencing.
you're funny though.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:39 am

djsynchro wrote:[Image

Yeah, nice! You posted this once before and i drooled a little bit. Could you tell us a bit about the homebrew modular underneath?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o