Index of Studio Chair threads

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Index of Studio Chair threads

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:12 pm

Aiight. I'm looking for a new chair for my home studio. I just spent a long time searching the board and I've posted my findings here-

This one is good:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=chair

This is helpful too:

Troll ridden but helpful:

And this too:

And unfortunately this:
:lol:

I just fixed up my bedroom and I'm psyched! I now have space in my room for a desk. More specifically this desk:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.as ... 70&f=18273

The desk has the smallest footprint ever. It looks great and, I dunno, just kicks ass. For all of you who also have tiny bedrooms, there is hope.

Now I need a good chair. I want to buy something that I won't regret. I want comfort and good back health. The research I've done tonight seems to all point to the Aeron.

It's really expensive, but I'm considering getting one. The problem with the Aeron is that it looks like an office chair. My bedroom is really tiny, but it's comfy. If I have that thing in here, my home will look like my office away from the office. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

I went all over SoHo the other day, into all of the stupid expensive furnature stores, and there was NOTHING that fit my requirements. The main sticking point was that the arms must go down so I can play guitar.

If any industrial designers are reading this, you have your work cut out for you. There is a serious lack of the proper design for a functional home desk chair.

Does anyone have any new thoughts to throw into the great chair quest?

Thanks!

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Make sure you try an Aeron before you buy. For a week or so. I didn't get on with it. Nor the Mirra (its sister model). I'm now looking again...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:16 am

I've been using the Aeron Chair (by Herman Miller) for years.... it takes good care of me... highly recommended!

Notes on considering an Aeron:
Be sure and get the "Highly Adjustable" version. A bit more $$ but worth every penny over the "Standard" model... and be sure to match the size correctly... the Aeron comes in 3 sizes, A, B, & C (largest to smallest). It makes a huge difference in comfort...

Hope this helps some.

peace,
tribalogical

[EDIT] Per robbmasters post, it's true that not every chair fits everyone's body/taste/comfort. If you have 'doubts' about the Aeron, also look into the Steelcase Leap series... similarly ergonomic, and considered by many to be the Aeron's equal (or in some cases, it's replacement!)... And I'd agree, if you can, definitely 'test-drive' a good chair before buying...

best of luck!
iMac 5K 27", 4.2Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 3TB Fusion HD: Focusrite 6i6 v2: NI S88 keyboard
MacBookPro 13", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD
MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Apps:: Live Suite 9.7.4, Logic Pro X
Plugins:: hordes...

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:43 am

I read in a remix mag article about gabriel and dresden that they were having some back pain problems from being in the studio all day. So their chiropractor suggested sitting on a medicine ball. At first they thought it was stupid but then later on tried it out only to discover that it helped their back pain. The bonus was they said they could feel the vibrations of the bass through the medicine ball when they were mixing and it helped their mixing tremendously. They were saying they could feel when the bass was "muddy" or "punchy". I'm going to give this a shot cuz my ikea chair is not cutting it.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 pm

After using this thing live and in the studio for a year, my back's the best it's been for years:
hambone1 wrote:Moving around at different heights helps me minimize sciatica problems (as well as an exercise program the physiotherapist gave me that I don't do nearly enough!)

I designed and built a workstation that I could use in the studio and gig with. I can stand at it, or to sit at it I bought one of these:

It's adjustable up and down, you can lower to sit on it, raise it a bit higher to rest your butt on it, or raise it to full height and just lean against it.

It's a whole lot more comfortable than it looks.

I'm using a trackball, which I've gotten fast at and really like, and I've assigned many functions to a BCR and Faderfox to make things easier.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Anyone have new thoughts on this?

I really regret my decision not to buy a studio chair last year. I just moved and now my chair situation is really lacking. I'm in a real pickle because I have to spend most of my money on a sofa.

Can anyone suggest a poor man's substitute to the Herman Miller Aeron?

Of all of the cheap bastard Ikea chairs - which one is the most comfortable?

thanks

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Anyone have new thoughts on this?

I really regret my decision not to buy a studio chair last year. I just moved and now my chair situation is really lacking. I'm in a real pickle because I have to spend most of my money on a sofa.

thanks
Help us out-- How much do you want to spend?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:23 pm

mikemc wrote:
Sales Dude McBoob wrote:Anyone have new thoughts on this?

thanks
Help us out-- How much do you want to spend?
fourteen dollars :| .

Yeah, I'm pretty much tapped for cash. So, the real question is - How far are you willing to go into dept?

I don't want to go into debt. But, I can't take what I've got right now, so it seems like being in the red may be better than being in pain.

I just saw an Aeron on eBay for $300. So let's say my limit is $300.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm interested in this as well FWIW. I had an Aeron at my last job and absolutely loved it. But way out of my price range now, so looking for things in the $300 range as well.

buy a Mac

Post by buy a Mac » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Apple Macbook Pro : Apple OSX 10.5 Leopard : Apple Logic Studio : Apple iPod touch : Apple iPhone : Apple iTunes : Apple QuickTime Pro 7

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm

i just went into a large office chair shop and was test sitting the 'manager models' and choosed the most comfy one, which was not to large around the head area in the back... super happy with it, can sit there for hours and hours without problems.

and it did not robbed the bank.
*** Image GAFM ***

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:30 pm

I use the first one you posted at work and one of these at home.

Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:36 pm

DUDE,

you've got me thinking I should upgrade to the Herman Miller.

I have used them in various offices & studios before and they are amazing, technically it will the studio item that I will have the most contact so why should I spend less on it than on a synth?
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Your chair is one of the most important pieces of equipment in the studio.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Moody wrote:I use the first one you posted at work and one of these at home.

Is that a duck on your head rest, or did you sit back on an egg sandwich?