!!COMPLETE MOUSE-LESS MIDI CONTROL! CLICKABLE ACTIONS TOO!!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SubQ

Post by SubQ » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:45 pm

This week i´ll be posting some pics and detailed info of my DYI footcontroller made with Ipac, it wiil be my tool for no-hands live looping and deep navigation.

see ya

coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:38 pm

SubQ wrote:This week i´ll be posting some pics and detailed info of my DYI footcontroller made with Ipac, it wiil be my tool for no-hands live looping and deep navigation.

see ya

coelho
Woo! Great stuff! Rather sooner than later, okay? Oh, and post a link to the thread here when you do, that way I get notified ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:16 am

sure, machinate.

by the way, you guys are stepping ahead again with those construct kits and wild macros. the espionage pack has beautiful lessons implicited :)
cant wait to taste more of surgical tools.

cheers,
coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

S-N-S

Post by S-N-S » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:31 pm

can i use this with my small crappy oxygen8 midi keyboard??

djthopa

anything as long as it transmits midi...

Post by djthopa » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:24 pm

Anything that transmits midi, can be converted to keyboard shortcuts to perform actions, and mouse clicks, so you can simulate your mouse clicking on certain area of your screen when you press a keyboard note.
It´s all in the tutorial....

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:26 pm

stjohn wrote:thanks again... i have it working now!!

as a matter of interest.. is there a way to use both the Midi translater MIDI engine and Lives midi engine at the same time.....so i can use my controller for all of the above as well as faders etc... ???
rightclick your bome´s systemtray icon, select midi Thru.
now i have a question, which i also have posted elsewhere (although i do beleive that my post has been deleted -.-) about bomes:
how can i make a translator script that would let me arm recording, start recording, then disarm it and loop it without changing bomes preset?

ive got it working, but it ignores my quantisation then because i disarm it.
funny thing is, if i disarm it with the keybind its set to instead of sending through bomes midi->keystroke, then it still loops according to my quantisation. this is the only thing im missing from my setup, so if anyone has an idea, please do tell me.

Soul Spectrum

Re: !!COMPLETE MOUSE-LESS MIDI CONTROL! CLICKABLE ACTIONS TOO!!

Post by Soul Spectrum » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:53 am

Does anyone know how to program "scrolling down" instead of constantly re-pressing a button on my controller.
I wanna use this for browsing through my library.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:07 am

+1 for serato style scroll... people are ALWAYS asking me about this and i really can't be bothered to figure it out myself TBH.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Patch

Post by Patch » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:28 am

This is the response I got from Florian when I asked the question on the Bomes site a while back:
Florian wrote: With Midi Translator Pro, you can specify a single "key down" event, with configurable repeat, plus a corresponding key up event:

Translator 1: Note off to key H up
Options: stop=true
Incoming: MIDI 90 pp 00
Outgoing: Key up: H

Translator 2: Note on to key H down
Options: stop=true
Incoming: MIDI 90 pp qq
Outgoing: Key down: H [repeat active]

That example will simulate key h when pressing a MIDI note. It'll repeat until you depress the MIDI note.
You'll just need to change the incoming action to the controller you want to map, and the outgoing to the arrow buttons for scrolling...

Soul Spectrum

Post by Soul Spectrum » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for your reply, but im sorry...i dont know what does that mean.
Right now, i have outgoing set to the down arrow in order to scroll down. Yet of course it doesnt "scroll" down. When i enable key repeat it just constantly scrolls down without end. All i would like to know is what exactly do i need to input so that when i let go of the button it actually stops scrolling.
This computer language is very intimidating for me. :?

Soul Spectrum

Post by Soul Spectrum » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:37 pm

oh, and btw, is it possible to do this using just the classic version and not pro?

Patch

Post by Patch » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:44 pm

The reason that the key repeat does not stop when you let go of the key, is that you haven't set up the second translator. You have to have 1 translator to start the scrolling (press button) and one translator to stop the scrolling (release button). If you don't set up the second translator, the repeat won't know when to stop.

Soul Spectrum

Post by Soul Spectrum » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:55 pm

I got it i got it!!! Oh boy, i got it!!!
After messin around with it i fiured it out and your post definitely helped!
Thank you so much!

Patch

Post by Patch » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:57 pm

No problem. Glad I could help. I've known this for a while, but not set it up on my own system yet - so I'm still mashing pads like a madman to scroll through the tracks in the browser!

Soul Spectrum

Post by Soul Spectrum » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:33 pm

You know what sucks though...Ableton's own mappable parameters becomes disabled now that im using my controller with Bomes!. So now i gotta write up an entire map of assignments. Plus, im using the vci-100 and had the jog wheels mapped to the start/end locators but now i have to actually select the markers before i can access them.

Plus on top if all that, if any part of my screen becomes unhighlighted, i need to use my mouse to click myself back into the software.