!!COMPLETE MOUSE-LESS MIDI CONTROL! CLICKABLE ACTIONS TOO!!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SubQ

Post by SubQ » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:31 pm

thx stu

my thing is music, not programming - there are many gifted minds around here in this sense. I only reach some stuff cos I needed more freedom, treat the computer as a live instrument, kinda dub philosophy I dig. Still researching towards the "ultimate setup", though.

Here I can play my string instruments (bass, guitar, cavaco) trough my electro harmonix goodies for more organic textures. loop it, and start tweaking or layerin' another sound with vsts and whatnot.

Note that with this setup and some routing, you can loop any track, not just the input sources. so it's nice to get some weird sound of a beat looped if you like - just open the send of a return track which will feed the 4 loop tracks, and step on a button. set it to sends only for not duplicate the signal, and voila.

cheers,
coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:27 pm

thanks again... i have it working now!!

as a matter of interest.. is there a way to use both the Midi translater MIDI engine and Lives midi engine at the same time.....so i can use my controller for all of the above as well as faders etc... ???

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:29 pm

yes.
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 pm

dont have it... ooops....

when i load MIDI translator 1st, Live doenst pick up my controller then!! :roll:

any ides please and tahnks

stutter

Post by stutter » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:08 pm

open Lice, run your AHK script, then open Bome's.

Wish AHK had midi input, or that MAX patches could output keystrokes.

stutter

Post by stutter » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:09 pm

open Live, run your AHK script, then open Bome's.

Wish AHK had midi input, or that MAX patches could output keystrokes.

Anyone reading this might want to search for the thread titled ultimate autohotkey script (think that's it) - there are some scripts there that are a bit more detailed.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:33 pm

hmm still getting,

"The specified device is already in use, wait until its free and try again"

my controller is connnected via USB. would that cause a problem?

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:48 pm

stjohn wrote:hmm still getting,

"The specified device is already in use, wait until its free and try again"

my controller is connnected via USB. would that cause a problem?
any ideas??

stutter

Post by stutter » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:17 pm

usb won't be the problem. Is the message from ableton? You should be able to open up ableton, make sure that your controller is connecting like normal, after you've confirmed it's communicating ok anyway open up AHK and then Bome and make sure you have the midi input on bome set up right. Other than that not sure what the problem could be.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:32 pm

No the message is in Bomes. it wont recognise the MIDI controller because Live is already using that port!! :roll: :roll:

it makes sense, but i wonder if there is anyway around it!! id really like to get this going!!

thanks for any help!

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:11 pm

did anyone manage to get both MIDI engines working at the same time??

wick

Post by wick » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Svetla wrote:what about for Mac OSX???anyone have a script they would share?come on share
i just have lemur i want a autohotkey like a app for mac osx..can anyone tell me we have a app for mac?

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:07 pm

stjohn wrote:did anyone manage to get both MIDI engines working at the same time??
I have a midi controller that can output midi on 2 different paths, so thats how im getting around this. Ableton midi to midi out A and bomes midi to midi out B. I also have a trigger finger though, and on this one i have just 1 midi out, so its either live midi engine or bomes, which sucks. I dont think its possible to use both engines at once.

D.
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

www.myspace.com/8118beats

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 pm

(my small R is occupied atm, AHK fault, cba to tuRn it off) so ive set up a scRipt foR left/Right/up/down/enteR aswell as fo the bRowseR, now..

how do i make it so that my scRipt puts my "cuRsoR" inside the bRowseR so that i can select a clip, move back into session view to play etc?

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:15 pm

Bassic Dave wrote:
stjohn wrote:did anyone manage to get both MIDI engines working at the same time??
I have a midi controller that can output midi on 2 different paths, so thats how im getting around this. Ableton midi to midi out A and bomes midi to midi out B. I also have a trigger finger though, and on this one i have just 1 midi out, so its either live midi engine or bomes, which sucks. I dont think its possible to use both engines at once.

D.
Eureka!
Allright, ive got this figured out after many hours of madness.
To get one device to send midi cc's and notes to ableton as well as Midi translated keystrokes, you need MIDIyoke,
http://www.midiox.com/
This gives you virtual midi ports, so you go MIDI device in to bomes, in bomes midi out is midi yoke port 1, in ableton disable your midi device in midi prefs and enable midi yoke port 1 for track and remote control, in bomes select midi through.
Now on my trigger finger i have 8 pads controlling directional moving through the browser and cells, also enter and delete, and 8 pads contolling impulse and the knobs and sliders using ableton automap.
Schweeet!
Thanks for this guys, this makes ableton really feel much more like an instrument. I think the further you get from a keyboard and mouse and mouse the better, at the moment im about 95percent keyboard and mouse free.

B.D.
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

www.myspace.com/8118beats