HowTo: Side Chain Compression

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Decepto

HowTo: Side Chain Compression

Post by Decepto » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Hello,

I've produced a short 5 minute video on how to perform side chain compression in Ableton Live 5 & 6 using a freeware compressor.

You can see the YouTube video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5eep4inXYs

Or you can head to my site to view the hi-res version and download the live set and samples:
http://www.abletonguru.com/tutorial-sid ... mpression/

Take care.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:36 pm

thanks for that.very nice! :)

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:04 pm

excellent thx for sharing

Decepto

Post by Decepto » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:34 pm

No problem.

I plan on adding tutorials on a regular basis. I'll let you know when I have some more up.

dab

Post by dab » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:08 pm

Great stuff, Decepto, however I cannot seem to be able to download this small set from your page?

dab

Decepto

Post by Decepto » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Sorry about that, it's fixed now.

dab

Post by dab » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Thanks Decepto, you did a good job in explaining this one, I hope you do more tutorials. :lol:

dab

Decepto

Post by Decepto » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:59 pm

dab wrote:Thanks Decepto, you did a good job in explaining this one, I hope you do more tutorials. :lol:

dab
I've got quite a few I'm working on at the moment. I'll update everyone when I've posted more.

agent_orange

Post by agent_orange » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:57 pm

thanks for that video.

my sugggestion:
- Put the Compressor in a Return Channel
- create a Midi Track with Impulse with 4 Midi Clips. Put in these Clips just a Kick-Drum which comes 4/4, 4/4t, 2/4 or 2/4T.
- route that miditrack audioout to the returnchannel - leftIn of the compressor.

If you play one of these Midi Clips, your Compressor in the Return Channel is Active.

Now you can send any Audio/Midi Track of your Set to that Return Channel and it will be compressed in the beat of the midi clip you started.

Create another return channel with no fx/plugins.
So you can decide how much a source-audio is send to the compressed and to the clean return channel.

This Setup is much more flexible and a few midiclips with the common kick beats will cover most of the real-life situations.
visit my blog: www.visionorange.com

agent_orange

Post by agent_orange » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:01 pm

off-topic question @Decepto:
how did you make these nice screen recording for your youtube video?
visit my blog: www.visionorange.com

trucker

Post by trucker » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:05 pm

Thanks Decepto.

Do you know of any compressors capable of sidechaing for MacIntel?

Thanks

drez

Post by drez » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:34 pm

agent_orange wrote:thanks for that video.

my sugggestion:
- create a Midi Track with Impulse with 4 Midi Clips. Put in these Clips just a Kick-Drum which comes 4/4, 4/4t, 2/4 or 2/4T.
- route that miditrack audioout to the returnchannel - leftIn of the compressor.

If you play one of these Midi Clips, your Compressor in the Return Channel is Active.

Now you can send any Audio/Midi Track of your Set to that Return Channel and it will be compressed in the beat of the midi clip you started.

So you can decide how much a source-audio is send to the compressed and to the clean return channel.

This Setup is much more flexible and a few midiclips with the common kick beats will cover most of the real-life situations.
Cheater!!!

...Get config though. Wish I'da thought of it...but I'm glad you did!
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

drez

Post by drez » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:35 pm

dab wrote:Thanks Decepto, you did a good job in explaining this one, I hope you do more tutorials. :lol:

dab
I concur. Great job. I was having a tough time with that and you have made me "see the light". Thanks Decepto!
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:48 pm

agent_orange wrote:thanks for that video.

my sugggestion:

i do almost the exact same thing. i dont understand why you pan though...

Decepto

Post by Decepto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:50 am

Thanks guys. I'll keep posting tutorials. Stay tuned.

As for a freeware Mac compressor with sidechaining, try DualComp from these guys:
http://www.teragon.org/

I still prefer the Japanese one I used in the tutorial, but DualComp will get the job done too.