mackieKONTROL!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
selthym

Post by selthym » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:06 am

I have read through these many times... great posts and very useful....

However I still can't find a way to select which rack will be Automapped (ie. like selecting the rack with a mouse and a little blue hand appears)

stutter

Post by stutter » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:20 pm

I had a microkontrol. I sold it. But before I did I made a little readme with some scenes for the guy I was selling it to that covers this sort of thing. You can get it here:
http://www.mediamax.com/stutter/Hosted/ ... on%206.rar

it's a working example of what Namihei came up with. There's an.htm file in there which explains it all. Put the UserConfiguration file in the correct location (explained in the htm), open it with notepad, scroll down to the bit that says "Send1Knob1: -1", etc, and replace it with the srcipt below:

Send1Knob1: 81
Send1Knob2: 89
Send1Knob3: 82
Send1Knob4: 90
Send1Knob5: 83
Send1Knob6: 91
Send1Knob7: 84
Send1Knob8: 92
Send2Knob1: 85
Send2Knob2: 93
Send2Knob3: 86
Send2Knob4: 94
Send2Knob5: 87
Send2Knob6: 95
Send2Knob7: 88
Send2Knob8: 96
TrackArmButton1: 120
TrackArmButton2: 121
TrackArmButton3: 122
TrackArmButton4: 123
TrackArmButton5: 124
TrackArmButton6: 125
TrackArmButton7: 126
TrackArmButton8: 127
VolumeMapMode: Absolute
SendsMapMode: Absolute

Should be obvious which bits. Now follow the htm instructions, but when you open up Ableton you should be able to go to the Preferences\Midi Sync and set up in the tope part Microkontrol edit in the first row, and Mackie Control in the second row (no need for the BCR 2000 as it says in the htm)

Selthym: what you want with the racks is a little complicated. Using [Alt] and [cursor keys] sets focus, which is how you get the little blue hand. If you get bomes midi translator you can translate midi into key-presses before Ableton.
The combination you want is: [Alt + Right], 3 x [Alt + Down]
That should get you focused on the cli pdetails (i.e. racks) no matter where the focus was before. After that you need normal cursor movements left and right. Unfortunately the MCU emulated left and right don't work, so you might want to set up two more midi-translators in Bome's for that purpose.

Also, any microkontrol users on a mac check out lcxmu (think that's right) - very clever. On pc, you could have a look for nativehost, although it's unsupported.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:11 am

selthym wrote:I got the padkontrol yesterday and have spent all day customising this with live. This thread has put the icing on the cake. Live and the padKontrol work brilliantly together... with a little customisation.

One Query

I want to use the x-y pad and buttons 1 & 2, the same as in Mike @ Trackteam audios post, but use this on another scene I have that has 2 c minor scales programmed.

I get the padKontrol working as per hi download and I have copied the same cc's across to my new scene. Any ideas how to get the x - y & rotaries 1 & 2 to control the 1st 4 parameters of a rack?

You can just copy the CC's from one scene to the next n the PK editor. Or just look at what CCs are being used for the macro's in the UserConfiguration.txt and put those into the sccene you want in the PK.

nieto20

Automap + MAckie

Post by nieto20 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:28 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:heres a link to a template for the Kontrol49. the minipads send out mackie commands on port 2 ( similar to bandbajao s setup ) and the faders and knobs are set up for Lives Automap protocol for devices and racks. There is some documentation in the archive.
The Mackie Control is ok but not the automap.
I can't control parameter with XY or knob

Can you help me with the Live Midi setup ?

Thanks

selthym

Post by selthym » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:15 am

This was working for me once but since buying a new PC the automap is no longer working :?

dru

Post by dru » Wed May 30, 2007 11:06 am

I'm just testing this out and have managed to get everything working as per bandbajao's first post except the scrub knob 1. When using it, it goes forward ok but when trying to rewind/reverse, it goes forward even more? Is there a setting in the padKontrol editor that I've missed? Thanks..

dru

Post by dru » Wed May 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Also, arming tracks doesn't seem to want to work either?

dru

Post by dru » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:01 pm

Just bringing this thread back up. I've been trying to make my own mackieKontrol template for the pK but can't figure out how to jump between racks to change parameters. Is there a way to select other racks through MCE (ie. the blue hand)?

Any help?

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:05 am

the blue hand is for Live Instant Mapping, not Mackie Control emulation.

dru

Post by dru » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:06 am

Ok, but is there a way to select which rack you want to have the blue hand, using MIDI?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:00 am

dru wrote:Ok, but is there a way to select which rack you want to have the blue hand, using MIDI?
I believe the only way to do this now is by using a MIDI Translator App - Bomes for PC and MIDIStroke or MaxMSP for OSX. Basically you have to convert some MIDI parameter sent by the PK to a keystroke right or left. Also note that to jump down to select Inst, effects, in Live you need to send Live an ALT + Down ( PC ) Option + Down ( OS X )

chickenpox

triggering and STOPPING a clip

Post by chickenpox » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:07 pm

hey all.
thanks for your hard work on this thread. it's been handy.

if anyone is still monitoring this thread, i've got what i hope is a simple question. i'm setting up my mK for some of the mackiecontrol functions, and am experiencing a problem with one. i've set a pad to send note #100(E7) to start and stop the highlighted clip. starts fine, doesn't stop. just starts again.

i've set the pad to momentary and toggle, without a change. interestingly, in toggle mode, the mK's display reads [N100 Off]. live disagrees.

thanks.

koneko

Re: mackieKONTROL!

Post by koneko » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:11 pm

bandbajao wrote: Knob 1: Scrub back and forth (in Arrangement View)
thank you so much for this. it really helped me to get an idea of how it works. however, this knob assignment acts funny. it scrubbs, but almost always in one directions, no matter which way i turn the knob. it usually goes forward only. away and way .. i was searching for any midi CC conflict with #60.. nothing like that.
any idea?

thanks again

!

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:50 pm

dep affect wrote:which note is metronome?
I'm looking for this as well. Does anyone know the mackie CC for metronome on/off?
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, OSX 10.6.6
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

Friedrich

Scrubbing

Post by Friedrich » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Hey guys,

Just took a look at this; the scrub function works, but controller 1 should be used relative to the middle position.

Mid position / short twists left repeatedly takes you further into arrangement
Mid position / short twists right repeatedly takes you back

When you make the repeated rotations, be sure not to dial further than the mid position of the knob

Hope I'm being clear here.... :wink: