THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Pitch Black

Re: I'm back , here's my RACK

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Angstrom wrote:greetings.

here is a drum rack

Angstrom!

WOW!

THANKS!!!

Ahh... How much of the publishing of my next track would you like? You've just given me a style of modulateable analog kick drum that was just the thing I was looking for, for a track I'm working on. Fecking awesome! You rock!! Many many thanks!!!

:D :D :D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:27 pm

heh heh, glad you like it.
These sort of things are great fun to make, and hopefully get funner when/if the Abe's add a few more rack tricks in L7, EG : modulation & routing
:)

I think a real Ableton drum-synth would be quite a fun item if they feel the urge.

BTW :
anyone having CPU issues with the demo for this should disable the 'acid' rack, its muted so you can hear the drums better, but I didn't de-activate the rack so it still eats quite a bit of CPU silently.
it's actually a usable 303-esque sound though if you un-mute it.

Oh, also, I have a feeling now that the pianoid noise probably needs samples from the Sampler pack too. I could have probably paid more attention to the packaging up.

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:44 pm

Angstrom wrote:heh heh, glad you like it.
These sort of things are great fun to make, and hopefully get funner when/if the Abe's add a few more rack tricks in L7, EG : modulation & routing
Amen brother.. I have thought about this a lot- If they do add routing and modulation, Live will be the ultimate integrated sound design tool.
Angstrom wrote: I think a real Ableton drum-synth would be quite a fun item if they feel the urge.

BTW :
anyone having CPU issues with the demo for this should disable the 'acid' rack, its muted so you can hear the drums better, but I didn't de-activate the rack so it still eats quite a bit of CPU silently.

Oh, also, I have a feeling now that the pianoid noise probably needs samples from the Sampler pack too. I could have probably paid more attention to the packaging up.
MacPro / MacBookPro / Live 8
My art and music

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:46 pm

jasinski wrote:
Angstrom wrote:heh heh, glad you like it.
Amen brother.. I have thought about this a lot- If they do add routing and modulation, Live will be the ultimate integrated sound design tool.
Angstrom wrote: I think a real Ableton drum-synth would be quite a fun item if they feel the urge.

BTW :

Haven't had any issues on the MacPro :)
My art and music

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:16 am

Angstrom, I gotta say: I've been using your drum rack all week. With your little hints on how to edit, it's particularly outstanding.
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Dj EQ

Some people don't seem to be happy with EQ3 for Dj'ing and find EQ4/8 too complex to set up.

So here's my attempt at a DJ EQ.
The requests were only as specific as: "It should not color the sound" and "0dB should be in the middle".

With those 2 features in mind, I built the rack.

You have 8 parameters available.

- 3 gains knobs with 0dB in the middle (Low, Mid and High)
- 1 scale knob to control the amount of effect your gain parameters have
- 3 Freq knobs so that you can fine tune the gain frequencies (Low, Mid and High)
- 1 Dry/Wet knob so that you can crossfade in/out of your EQ.

- Click here to download the EQ

It is far from perfect and doesn't kill the frequencies totally.
But it is a start..
Any suggestions or modifications are welcome.

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by hoffman2k on Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creepjoint

Post by creepjoint » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Angstrom wrote:ooh, not sure which pack thats in.

Filtered Noize.aif 1.8 meg , in my library it is in Waveforms/Texture.

the packs I have installed right now are:

Live 6 beta essentials ( only just noticed that 'beta' !)
Live 6 basics
Live 6 lessons
Sampler Pack.

so I have a bad feeling it is in the 'sampler pack', which is a biggish download.
All it sounds like (the raw sample) is a bit of white noise with a notch filter on it.

you could just hot swap the sample for a bit of white noise that has had a stuck phaser applied to it.

Damn , I thought I'd used all included waves. Ah well.
they haven't actually included a full set of synth waves as far as I can tell, IE: sine saw, ramp, triangle, square, white noise, pink noise. Only a few are supplied as far as I can tell.
thanks, it was in the sampler pack.
I cant use it though as I dont have a licence fro sampler.
Pretty crap you cant even use the samples :cry:

cant even preview the samples....Live reports them as being corrupt !!!!

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:29 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Dj EQ
Added to the list.

Also started to put dates on the racks.
My art and music

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:16 am

Inspired by Angstrom's drum set up, here are a few of my own.

In this zip file I have 2 kits, plus a folder containing 16 drum 'hits' as well as a folder of Simpler 'elements' that you can use as a starting point to build other percussive sounds. I did some simple macros to A, D, S, R; Filter; and Pitch. All using the built in wave forms that come with Live 6.

Download here.
My art and music

stutter

Post by stutter » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:01 pm

looking through old posts and distant regions of my hard drive last night for a few things (Machinate's Step Sequencer is still great), I realised that Hoffman's Simpulse (check the CovOps sight) and Phat Controller's midi juggling ideas are made for each other.

Like the sweepable crossover a lot too, haven't had a chance to see if it's clear or colours the sound yet, but it should be great for multi-band processing.

SubLik

Post by SubLik » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:30 pm

I'm getting back into Ableton again, this post is wicked
SubLixx

womoma

Post by womoma » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:17 am

Cjyetmans single knob filter is fantastic. I couldnt work out how to do this when I tried.

Its a shame about the artifacts though. Perhaps Ableton will give us more macro control in Live 7, so this can be achieved easier and without artifacts.

I wonder does anyone know of a plugin which does something like this rack?

ie.. transparent at 12 o clock, low pass to the left and high pass to the right??

If you want Ableton to consider this option in Autofilter, please go here:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58671

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:19 am

Just dl'd GlitchRack3 by 3rdordertrauma. Wow.
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

stutter

Post by stutter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:24 am

think I could do the single knob thingy with eq8 and some external midi plug, will have a look tomorrow.

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:26 am

Hey, this thread should be sticky!