First Mel Gibson and now this!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:46 am

12micsn1

Re: First Mel Gibson and now this!

Post by 12micsn1 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:46 am

That was wild.
Vote for Pedro.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:46 am

He might have thought he knew what he was doing, but he fucked up. He really fucked up.
I always see white people thinking they understand enough about race relations/civil rights, thinking we're in some new space where they can joke about it & everything will be cool. But nothing has really ever changed under the surface, so that's a huge crock.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:59 am

wow...did he ever mess up with that...it was uncalled for

the flip side is that if African Americans don't want that word used in vain, and believe me I think it is wrong for ANYBODY to use that word...then African Americans shouln't use it themselves...i'm tired of the argument that its okay for a black man to say the N word...turn to BET when they have their comedy stuff on and it is a N-word festival.

not condoning or saying what Kramer (hell, I don't even know his real name...LOL) said is okay...just that its so ironic that African Americans are SO offended by the use of the word today after they have propagated it through the very fiber of their culture (instead of trying to eliminate it completely)
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:23 am

Wow, I just watched the video and I haven't witnessed a public figure screw up what career they have left quite like this before.

That being said, Lenny Bruce would have done the same thing a few decades back and the same film would have been made staring Dustin Hoffman and he still would be viewed as a comic genius. Not that Michael Richards is anywhere remotely in the same league as Bruce.

Actally, nevermind. Lenny Bruce would have insulted the guy, and probably made it race related but it would have been much more intricate and equally as offensive if not so overt. What Richards did was just a sheer utter meltdown that all the apologies in the world won't remedy.

Nice knowing you Michael. If you get lonely, give Mel a call.

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:24 am

John Sweet wrote:He might have thought he knew what he was doing, but he fucked up. He really fucked up.
I always see white people thinking they understand enough about race relations/civil rights, thinking we're in some new space where they can joke about it & everything will be cool. But nothing has really ever changed under the surface, so that's a huge crock.
Your statement is a bunch of crock. Have you ever heard of sticks and stones names will never hurt me?

When it comes to the n-word it only seems cool when its called in love for your brother. Think about this how does your brother know you love you them when the n-word has a history of meaning something else?

It seems Black people only give Hispanics the freedom pass to use the N-word. At the same time forgetting N-word comes directly from the Spanish langauge an was branded upon Africans who were forced into very in-humane slave captivity for. The N-word is something Black people cant seem to get over with White people though its used by them all the time to say your one of my brother or sister.

Do you recognize the hypocrisy of the use of the N-word in what Black people think in its use?

it shows alot of ignorance to use this n-word even if you are black knowing all the negative history behind it.

The question remains why do black people keep the n-word alive?
Vote for Pedro.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:33 am

12micsn1 wrote:
John Sweet wrote:He might have thought he knew what he was doing, but he fucked up. He really fucked up.
Your statement is a bunch of crock. Have you ever heard of sticks and stones names will never hurt me?

When it comes to the n-word it only seems cool when its called in love for your brother. Think about this how does your brother know you love you them when the n-word has a history of meaning something else?

It seems Black people only give Hispanics the freedom pass to use the N-word. At the same time forgetting N-word comes directly from the Spanish langauge an was branded upon Africans who were forced into very in-humane slave captivity for. The N-word is something Black people cant seem to get over with White people though its used by them all the time to say your one of my brother or sister.

Do you recognize the hypocrisy of the use of the N-word in what Black people think in its use?

it shows alot of ignorance to use this n-word even if you are black knowing all the negative history behind it.

I dunno, I'm going to chime in here and point out that Kramer wasn't calling him "my nigga"... more like he was chasing him with a torch and screaming it at him. I think we need to be clear on that fact. He wasn't fucking with the guy. He just lost his shit. We all have at one time or another to some degree. We all just haven't had it on tape for the entire world to see...

JahGuide

Post by JahGuide » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:57 am

12micsn1 wrote:

Eh Em. FYI dude not all black people use that word. I makes me sick to see my own people run around and call each other that. Whats worst they try to justify why they use it. Unbelievable. Also many blacks including myself see BET as a moderns day minstrel show. I am black and I give no one the right to call me a nigga or nigger. I would have beat his ass in that club for real. This is the type or racism I like though, I don't like when its covert. That way I know who I am dealing with.

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:24 am

JahGuide wrote:Also many blacks including myself see BET as a moderns day minstrel show.
Can you explain?...I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you see BET as a modern day minstrel show
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:36 am

he CANNOT be sober

JahGuide

Post by JahGuide » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:44 am

jb61264 wrote:
JahGuide wrote:Also many blacks including myself see BET as a moderns day minstrel show.
Can you explain?...I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you see BET as a modern day minstrel show
"Minstrel show, or minstrelsy, was an American entertainment consisting of comic skits, variety acts, dancing, and music, performed by white people in blackface or, especially after the American Civil War, African Americans in blackface. Minstrel shows portrayed and lampooned blacks in stereotypical and often disparaging ways: as ignorant, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, joyous, and musical."

The only difference now is that blacks are playing the roles and it now includes violence and misogyny. If you are not black and not revolutionary minded you might find it hard to understand.
Last edited by JahGuide on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:49 am

lol@revolutionary minded. Totally agree with your previous comments though.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:50 am

JahGuide wrote:
jb61264 wrote:
"Minstrel show, or minstrelsy, was an American entertainment consisting of comic skits, variety acts, dancing, and music, performed by white people in blackface or, especially after the American Civil War, African Americans in blackface. Minstrel shows portrayed and lampooned blacks in stereotypical and often disparaging ways: as ignorant, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, joyous, and musical."

The only difference now is that blacks are playing the roles. If you are not black and not revolutionary minded you might find it hard to understand.
Makes perfect sense to me...

I remember a few people I knew telling me that Jeru the Damaja was intelligent Hip Hop because he didn't talk about shooting people.

That makes it intelligent? Don't get me wrong, I love hip hop and have since I first heard Slick Rick in my friends parents garage but if you are considered intelligent because you don't talk about shooting folk then the intelligence quota must have dropped further then Michael Richards career...

glu

Post by glu » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:52 am

JahGuide wrote: Minstrel shows portrayed and lampooned blacks in stereotypical and often disparaging ways: as ignorant, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, joyous, and musical."

The only difference now is that blacks are playing the roles. If you are not black and not revolutionary minded you might find it hard to understand.
Yeah, I understand, though I am not black. BET is insulting, it amazes me how popular it is.

TV is a rotten piece of shit. So many people have no clue on its subconscious impact on them, how they view reality in affect...

and the subtle programming- messages they slip in there to put a thought in your head.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu