Ableton 6 + Reason Rewired, off sync ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:12 am

resonatorman wrote:I have tried your method it unfortunately doesn't work for me. I'm still off or out of sync irregardless of how much I delay the track or even if I adjust driver error compensation I'm always off sync by the same amount....Just curious what sort of set up are you running?
Setting the track delay is only needed for rewired inputs that take their midi controls from a Live midi track. You do not need to set it for tracks with audio coming from Reason that are controlled by Redrum patterns and Matrix patterns [or the Reason sequencer]. These will be in sync with Live with the default track delay settings of 0mS.

Setting the track delays to anything other than 0mS on these Reason controlled devices will cause a non sync'ing feeling.

If these are out of sync though with the track delay of 0mS then you have a problem elsewhere, and I'm not sure what that could be.

Driver error compensation is an audio recording thing for Live only. I don't think it should affect the Reason devices. Either way, it should be set up as detailed in the Live manual regardless of whether you use Reason or not.

resonatorman

Post by resonatorman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks Synthbuilder for your post, most informative & helpful. I guess this is the bug as which thte original poster was posting about. As I'm off sync whether it be Redrum or a Reason sequenced track always with the same amount, which is a little frustrating.

Cheers
MBP 2.5ghz 4gb + Live 8.2.1 (Suite)

xxxmorphicxxx

Post by xxxmorphicxxx » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:08 pm

I went back and tried to test different situations to see why my set up was working... Synthbuilder, I believe you're right.

This is what I found. My -44.5 pre delay track on my Reason audio in trick was still playing everything SLIGHTLY off. Sounds like around 10 ms, which is why I was unable to detect it.

I only noticed because when I ran a ReDrum computer by its "Run" button, it played more in time with the track delay set to 0, than with it set to -44.5.

This was not what I was expecting, so I tried copying the pattern to Reason's sequencer track, disabled the "Run" button... and the beat was still in time with Live's track delay set to 0. I added a Maelstrom with a simple quarter note melody to test it, and it again was still in time. I recorded a clip of this.

So now I opened to Live midi tracks, routed one to the ReDrum and one to the Maelstrom, and programmed the exact same midi data as was in Reason's sequencer. With all track delays set to 0... everything appears to be on time.

Finally, what I did was allowed Reason's sequencer to play for 4 bars, then Live's midi tracks to control Reason for 4 bars, with loop brackets around those 8 bars. I was not able to tell by ear where one stopped and the other began. When I recorded these 8 bars, however, I was able to zoom in and see that Reason's notes were EXACTLY on the bear, while lives began at :002.

This is hardly audible, but will it get worse as I add more tracks? Or is the problem just not that noticeable on my set up?

vanheusen

Post by vanheusen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:42 pm

I suspect it has to do with the number of tracks/plugins etc. you have going. Sometimes it is a huge latency. The best thing is to record stuff in reason and record it to audio in ableton, or if you are a good keyboard player, just record it right away! Too bad you can not use envelopes and that kind of stuff that way.

resonatorman

Post by resonatorman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:25 pm

Hey Guys any ideas on this here are some screenshots of Reason into a live Audio track one from redrum pattern sequencer the other is the reason sequencer, no vst's 1 track open & there is a slight delay. The sequencer also laways kicks in at this same point as well.....
Redrum pattern sequencer:

Same pic zommed in:

soundpalace

Post by soundpalace » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:27 am

Still broken in 7.02

resonatorman

Post by resonatorman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:11 am

I'm having no problems in 7.02 routed using External Instrument.

soundpalace

Post by soundpalace » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:24 am

resonatorman wrote:I'm having no problems in 7.02 routed using External Instrument.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out! :)

soundpalace

Post by soundpalace » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:39 pm

PERFECT!! This is by far the best implementation of ReWire anywhere, I think it's time for me to finally make the switch, thanks a lot! :)