recording automation to clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
posssu

Post by posssu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:37 am

Soma wrote:I'd be fine with just being able to record the same relative evelopes that already exist.
Yep, this is exactly what I mean too. This would be the first step: to be able to use the midi controller to record the relative envelopes instead drawing them by hand.

The next step would be adding absolute envelopes (switchable box) and being able to record them. There would be a switch to select which envelope to use.

And maybe one day, the automation tracks for session view would be implemented too. Don't have any ideas on them.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:15 am

+1.... my god this is a must..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

RhythmSickness

Post by RhythmSickness » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:16 pm

+ 1
G5, G4x2 / G3 Live 3/4/5/6 Reason 2/2.5/3 virb soundclick

Caymus Cab

Post by Caymus Cab » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:20 pm

+ 1
Ableton 8

mrnymms

Post by mrnymms » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:05 am

bump +1
Mac Pro , 5 GB, MOTU ultralite,Live 7.0.14, Remote SL 37& Zero,Hp dual 2 core, 2 GB , NI plugs, Stylus rmx, Virus desktop TI, Serato

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:28 am

Just an option allowing automation to be copied with a clip to session would save alot of work+++++++++++++
looped clips would have unlinked env's and resetting the parameters to defults (max/centre) would be less work than pasting each automaton into a the clip env.

Would this require a complete reprogaming of lives engine?

earwax

Post by earwax » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:19 pm

+1 :P

Zilch

Post by Zilch » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:58 am

Frankly has anyone found the "relative" aspect of the clip envelopes to be really useful as opposed to having all envelopes be absolute?

I can only see a few really useful results of this feature. If one is using the volume envelope within the clip to cut out or attunate sections of the audio but want an overall volume swell programmed into the arrangement or done live via a mapped controller (which upon further thought can just be accomplished by using the clip volume for the attunation and the track volume for the overall swell).

the other function would be doing the same with a filter cutoff type parameter, having a happy little pattern on the clip and opening up the overall filtering via one of the methods above ( which is still really tweaky to get the results you want)

if anyone has figured out any other ways in which it is useful (other than sidestepping the logic/conflict issue between session and arrangement) let me know.

But seriously are these worth the general annoyance that relative modulation causes in nearly every other situation? Any time I want to modulate a parameter (say a VST's filter cuttoff) I have to go in the interface for the unit, turn up the parameter all the way then mess around with the evelopes to reallign my "sweet spot", otherwise I only have the option of closing the thing.

Why not just have a "modulation superiority" switch either on a track or per clip level to decide who gets control in the case of a conflict and ditch "relative" altogether? or regulate "relative" modulation to the special patchable modulation devices (LFO, envelope follower, step sequencer) that were suggested elsewhere in this forum?

while we're at it, lets add the option to "print" modulation (once again suggested elsewhere) where you can highlight a section of a clip (or track in arrangement) change parameters (in the effects own gui, like god intended), and those parameter changes are saved in that section as modulation changes without effecting the values throughout the rest of the clip or clips or track time. So fer instance, you want to drastically change the eq on a guitar track once the chorus kicks it. right now this either involves a retarded amount of non-intuitve, non-musical mucking about with
layer upon layer of breakpoints (lord help you if you want to attempt to do it in the clip with all the "relative" nonsense) or creating a whole new nearly duplicate track (which has to be done by hand for some unknown reason) with a new eq you can set to the new settings in the GUI.

and let me see more than one modulation at a time. color code them or stack them ala Reason or something.

I understand that this would probably involve a lot of reworking of the enigine, but it seems like these are major concerns with the userbase. Granted it doesn't look as sexy to the marketing department as adding video or whatnot, but thats why I support smaller companies.

I know you guys can do it. I've been a pro user since 1.5 and have seen several items on my personal wishlist knocked off with each new release and implemented in an intuitive manner. Take the next big step and get modulation sorted once and for all.
Aaron Zilch

Powerbook 10.4.8
800mhz 512RAM

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:37 am

Zilch wrote:Frankly has anyone found the "relative" aspect of the clip envelopes to be really useful as opposed to having all envelopes be absolute?
YES! It is a must for performing! Also without an LFO generator it comes in very handy!!

posssu

Post by posssu » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:16 pm

I find more use for absolute parameters.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Relative envelopes rule and it shouldn't be hard to let us record to them.

With an absolute envelope controlling your parameter you cannot tweak without Live auto-disabling automation for that parameter.

When a relative envelope is used, you can twist knobs, change the base, etc and the envelope is still there.

Relative envelopes can ACT as an absolute envelope, other than being disabled when you move teh parameter. If you don't touch an automated parameter during playback a relative envelope is exactly like an absolute one (i guess only the GUI knobs don't move).

Zilch

Post by Zilch » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm not saying relative modulation is crap. Just that if it needs to be sacrificed or regulated to special Modulation Devices, in order to overcome previous mentioned logic issues of recording mod into clips and mod data xfering from Arrangement to Session or giving a greater level of precision and efficiancy to programming mod in clips, then so be it.

and a relative envelope might be able to replicate an absolute DURING PLAYBACK, but the process of setting that up with any kind of precision is a major pain. Dealing with your value as a percentage via dragging break points rather than using a happy knob or the GUI to set your base and the seeing the parameter's proper value displayed in the mod graph.

From both a technical and "musical/intuitive" standpoint it seems that the current relative clip modulation sceme comes up short. If your average user had the choice I think it would be sacked...
Aaron Zilch

Powerbook 10.4.8
800mhz 512RAM

Jobeo

Post by Jobeo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:31 am

having used live for only 2 days now i've already come across this. using my remote SL i was fiddling around recording midi clips and noticed the automation wasn't being saved. i figured it was user error but noticed it was working fine in arrangement ...

so i googled and found this thread. mind-boggling indeed. so i'm here to say +1

also, how do you guys work around this ? do you record clips and do all the automation in the arrangement view? seems quite strange ... i guess more will be revealed but this seems like a glaring omission

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:39 am

You guys are all talking about a scenario with 1 CC.
What about 2 CC's?
One to record envelopes and one to control the absolute position of a parameter.

That way, the relative CC acts as a Dry/Wet for some automated effects.

M.Low

Re: recording automation to clips

Post by M.Low » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:19 am

It is one of the most important missing features. If I use a vst-instrument, the modwheel movements are recorded in clips. But if I use simpler, impulse or operator using the modwheel for filter freq i.e., it´s not recorded. This can never mean total integration. So I cannot use the session view for playing and that was just what I buyed LIVE for