deejaying with endless rotary controls

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maksk

deejaying with endless rotary controls

Post by maksk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:26 pm

i would maybe buy the new mpd24 from akai, but it doesn't have 'normale' knobs, only endless rotary controls.
i haven't done it yet, but i doesn't seem handy to control for example eq or fx sends with endless rotary's when deejaying, having to look at the screen all the time 'n stuff.
anyone that can share some experience for this?
I'm the Evil Ableton Operator, with my pumping Saturator

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:34 pm

I think endless rotaries are the way to go, mate. That way, you don't have to worry about muting your controllers when changing banks. I have yet to read up on "Automap" - but I think that it is based around endless encoders to allow you to use one encoder accross many tracks.

I'm glad you brought this up, actually - I've been meaningto start a thread on Midi Takeover. I'm hoping it gets brought up here...

maksk

Post by maksk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:39 pm

you indeed don't got the jumping parameters, but you don't have the real feel of turning the knob, witch is especially handy when deejaying. you have to look at the screen to know where you are/ how far you turned the knob/etc...

but maybe i'm making a to big fuzz :)
for studio, it's ok...

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:06 pm

with the BCR2000, although u get endless capability, it also comes with LEDs to know visually where the values are

just bear in mind the BCR2000 doesn't power via USB due to all those lights! some people find this a pain
Kr.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:07 pm

maksk wrote:but you don't have the real feel of turning the knob
Are you saying that endless knobs DON'T turn and turn and turn?

I always imagined that they turned all the way around, but did not hit a stop at hard left or hard right...

maksk

Post by maksk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Patch wrote:
maksk wrote:but you don't have the real feel of turning the knob
Are you saying that endless knobs DON'T turn and turn and turn?

I always imagined that they turned all the way around, but did not hit a stop at hard left or hard right...
what i mean is that you have to look at the screen to know how far for example your eq-knob is open/closed, how far your send is open/closed. with a 'normal' knob you can know that by looking at the midicontroller with those knobs too.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:30 pm

I see...

Isn't that what the lights around the encoders are for? There are lights around the BCR encoders, and lights around the encoders on the new Kenton controllers...

maksk

Post by maksk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:32 pm

Patch wrote:I see...

Isn't that what the lights around the encoders are for? There are lights around the BCR encoders, and lights around the encoders on the new Kenton controllers...
indeed, but unfortunally not on the akai MPD24, witch i'm maybe gonna buy ;)

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:20 pm

I think endless encoders feel kinda slow in a DJ context. Whipping a fader thru the whole range in one turn lends itself to a lot more expressive playing. I like relative controls for smooth things like BPM adjustment & clip properties, but I set my BCR to absolute mode for everything else.

maksk

Post by maksk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:36 pm

yips ;)

noborders

Re: deejaying with endless rotary controls

Post by noborders » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:30 am

maksk wrote:i would maybe buy the new mpd24 from akai, but it doesn't have 'normale' knobs, only endless rotary controls.
you'll probably be better off with a padkontrol and a x-session.

condra

Post by condra » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:20 pm

Way to bring back a 2 year old thread but I think it's still relevant today.
I love my MPD32 but still miss the finite knobs on my old UC33e.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples opinions on regular vs endless roatries in a live/DJ'ing context.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:06 am

condra wrote:Way to bring back a 2 year old thread but I think it's still relevant today.
I love my MPD32 but still miss the finite knobs on my old UC33e.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples opinions on regular vs endless roatries in a live/DJ'ing context.
+1

I'm gearing up for some gigs soon and i've been gathering as much info as i can before i get on stage and stumble through a set figuring out what suits me best.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:47 am

I'm firmly on the 'real knobs' side of the fence. Don't like the lack of feedback and the indented 'clicking' feel of encoders.

But then I have a simple set-up and never change program banks live.

honsey

Post by honsey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:51 am

be sure to check out your desired controller at a local store. i'm pissed of my BCR because its knobs are that fat, that you can hardly turn them all around at once.