Next generation DJ tool

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
axou

Next generation DJ tool

Post by axou » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:15 pm

Lemur + Traktor DJ hosting a new VST from IRCAM
Link
yummy....

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 pm

I have to say I'm getting less and less impressed by lemur's, I've seen too many videos of people making terrible jumbled messes with it and probably thinking it is good simply cause they enjoy the interface.

I suppose it would be fun to slide your fingers accross the screen and watch little lights move like water under your fingers and rippling like water, but does it sound good? it could of course it just depends on what you've got it set up to do but I keep seeing people with rad interfaces set up to do stupid stuff.

just my 2 cents.
can anyone find a video of a lemur that isn't sounding bad?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:10 pm

the lemur is dope but the funny thing is gonna be when you walk into a room and everyone us using one, it's gonna look like some big new age cult
meeting.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

smartabletonuser

Post by smartabletonuser » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:57 pm

wow, that sounds horrible. makes me feel better about my own stuff for sure.

the lemur... HA!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:01 pm

I was being serious, can anyone find a link of a lemur sounding good? I'd love to see one being used in a non annoying fashion.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:31 pm

try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy_ckdka ... ed&search=

this link shows them using lemurs, but the audio's stuffed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTiTHipu ... ed&search=

modeselektor & pfadfinderei have been using em for a while... it's not the tool that makes it sound bad, it's the tool using the tool :lol:
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:38 pm

jesus that second link sounds horrible!

oh I know that lemurs aren't making it sound bad, but people seem to get too into the "crazy" stuff that it can do and forget to ask the question "but does it sound good?"

they are like "look! I can just throw my finger and this ball bounces all over the screen and sweeps 2 lfo's and each time it hits a corner it's triggering a sequence of granular loops and then when I touch this button it freezes" they are so excited but don't even realise that it doesn't freaking sound good.

though the first modeselector track does sound good I'm just speaking generally here about most lemur users I've seen clips of.

axou

Post by axou » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:39 pm

modeselektor's lemur also makes an appearance here

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:41 pm

i like the tweaky crazy stuff sometimes, after all it can be about just being experimental....

axou

Post by axou » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:49 pm

they are so excited but don't even realise that it doesn't freaking sound good.
maybe they don't consider you're the authority in what sounds good and what doesn't ? :)
oh I know that lemurs aren't making it sound bad, but people seem to get too into the "crazy" stuff that it can do
I think that's because most videos attempt to show what makes the Lemur stand out compared to other controllers, i.e. what it can do that other controllers can't.
There are some more conventional videos out there

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:51 pm

axou wrote:
maybe they don't consider you're the authority in what sounds good and what doesn't ? :)
oh I know that lemurs aren't making it sound bad, but people seem to get too into the "crazy" stuff that it can do
I think that's because most videos attempt to show what makes the Lemur stand out compared to other controllers, i.e. what it can do that other controllers can't.
I tend to agree. It all sounds like IDM

IDM = poop
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:01 am

kabuki wrote:
axou wrote:
I tend to agree. It all sounds like IDM

IDM = poop
Well then Kabuke, you could use this when you listen to your IDM:

http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/ite ... LL&sc=FRGL

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:06 am

idm certainly isn't a bad genre, it just has some bad music just like every other genre of music. and I didn't say I was the authority on what is good but most the videos I've seen of this thing are just horrible and most people would agree on that.

though you are right about the fact that it's partially horrible just cause they are trying to show off the unique qualities of it.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:08 am

jesus that second link sounds horrible!
yep, overloaded inputs'll do that :lol:
thats not because they're using a lemur. you can make crap with anything really. maybe restraint is what you're trying to advocate here. lord knows i've heard enough dj's going overboard with the the phasers n flangers n crap built into their mixers n cdj's to last me a lifetime. similarly too much crapping about with reaktor/max/suppatrigga/livecut/etc. isn't going to make you sound good no matter what genre your into...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:25 am

yeah add blueglitch to that list of over used tools, every time I go to a show now I somebody messing with glitch and making their song jitter all to hell and once in a while it sounds good but usually it just sounds bad.

oddly enough I haven't seen too many people abusing beatrepeat in the same way, though I've been told there are armies of people out there than can't stop using it live but I've never seen anyone live that was that dumb with it.

restraint is definetly where it's at though, yes thats what I'm advocating