Korg PadKontrol - 2 tips for problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Loops.net

Korg PadKontrol - 2 tips for problems

Post by Loops.net » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:00 am

Heya,

Just bought a Korg Padkontrol, and I'm still "in between". It's a cool pad, but since I have not used any other (MPD24 anyone?) I cannot compare too good. My main problem with the unit is the plasticness, and the fact that it mentions "for home and office use" on the bottom. Since I'm trying to figure out if I could use this in a live situation, it's a bit difficult. Anyone with a MPD24 care to elaborate on the sturdyness? Thanks!

On with the tips:

1. I was looking for a solution so that the pads are not as sensitive as they are originally, and couldn't find any settings in the manual. Turns out there are settings, but they are not documented. Found them on some korg forum (don't ask me where, just copied and pasted in a document and wandered off), and here they are:

PadKontrol Velocity Settings - keep these keys pressed when powering up the unit.
a. Current settings hold both the[VELOCITY]& [SCENE]keys
b. Slightly less hold both the [VELOCITY]& [MESSAGE]keys
c. Even less hold both the[VELOCITY]& [FIXED.VELOCITY]keys
d. Least sensitive hold both the [VELOCITY]& [PROG CHANGE]keys

2. I had such a hard time getting that korg librarian editor to work - it always said "Device Inquiry Error". Turns out you have to set the midi configuration to a specific value and then it'll work perfectly. For those having the same problem:

For MIDI In choose "padKONTROL 1 PORT A" and for MIDI out choose "padKONTROL 1 CTRL". Now keep in mind I'm using these settings with USB so it probally won't work with MIDI cable but nevertheless it should help. After that you should be fine.

Have fun and if anyone knows more about that MPD24, please hit me back!

-- P

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:14 am

The pads are sensitive perhaps even oversensitive- playing hard may cause random trigerring of other pads, it varies from unit to unit I have chosen on out of dozen- that was less trigger freaky. Initally the shop wanted to send back all of them but Korg said" they are this way" and do not consider it design fault.
Using live is a bit of problem if you really play, the unit moves all over the place, you might have to tape it.
I realised that the better feel of MPC has nothing to do with the pads but the whole construction even though MPD 16 has better pads (same as 4000, 2500, 2000) MPC 1000 fells better to play because it is solid. Very important for percussionist( the is reason why conga players practice on solid wood and not a rubber pillow) Though padKontrol is great for carrying in you backpack with the notebook for performing might be good idea to fit a heavy bottom to it.
If you have such possibility go to the shop you bought it and select most suitable unit.

coverdale76

Post by coverdale76 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:15 pm

rikhyray wrote:The pads are sensitive perhaps even oversensitive- playing hard may cause random trigerring of other pads, it varies from unit to unit I have chosen on out of dozen- that was less trigger freaky. Initally the shop wanted to send back all of them but Korg said" they are this way" and do not consider it design fault.
Hi!

Do you mean I may get one oversensitive padKontrol(or pads with trigging-problems) from anywhere if I can't try it personally before buy it? I'm considering to buy this very seriously.

The Pros I prefer as below:
1. Light
2. X/Y Pads
3. Roll & Flam Functions
4. Light weight

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:10 pm

coverdale76 wrote: The Pros I prefer as below:
1. Light
keep in mind there is no feedback for the lights
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

noborders

Post by noborders » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:37 am

mike holiday wrote:
1. Light
actually, there will be feedback for the lights thanks to the covert operators:
http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/145
http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/149

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:09 am

noborders wrote:
mike holiday wrote:
1. Light
actually, there will be feedback for the lights thanks to the covert operators:
http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/145
http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/149
Yes. Let there be Lights.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

tylenol

Re: Korg PadKontrol - 2 tips for problems

Post by tylenol » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:06 am

Loops.net wrote: PadKontrol Velocity Settings - keep these keys pressed when powering up the unit.
Another way to deal with this is to make a preset for live's velocity plugin that matches your preferences -- it's a little more flexible than the pk's builtin possibilities.

SubFunk

Re: Korg PadKontrol - 2 tips for problems

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:01 pm

tylenol wrote:
Loops.net wrote: PadKontrol Velocity Settings - keep these keys pressed when powering up the unit.
Another way to deal with this is to make a preset for live's velocity plugin that matches your preferences -- it's a little more flexible than the pk's builtin possibilities.
funny, the extremely high sensitivity is what sets the padKONTROL in the first place miles apart from any other of the pad controllers, for me...
i love it, you can use feel rather then train your finger / hands muscles.
*** Image GAFM ***

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:28 pm

I prefer the pads of the padKontrol - although I haven't used the MPD24 for any long period of time. The padKontrol pads can be activated right from their very corners with the lightest of touches - give it a go!

To adjust the sensitivity, can you not change the velocity curves with the software editor? Or other settings in there?

husker

Post by husker » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:05 pm

those sensitivity settings are different from how velocity is mapped - exactly how I don't know :-) but they are 'extra' hidden factory settings according to Korg

coverdale76

Post by coverdale76 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:14 pm

Hey everybody!

I just got my own padKontrol in the local store today! Very excited about it! I'll try it out tomorrow~ Thank you for all the information...

Try it all day~ Really cool, easy and comfortable to use, stable good pad!
And my first MIDI pad.

Sherman Banks

Post by Sherman Banks » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:20 am

"2. I had such a hard time getting that korg librarian editor to work - it always said "Device Inquiry Error". Turns out you have to set the midi configuration to a specific value and then it'll work perfectly. For those having the same problem:

For MIDI In choose "padKONTROL 1 PORT A" and for MIDI out choose "padKONTROL 1 CTRL". Now keep in mind I'm using these settings with USB so it probally won't work with MIDI cable but nevertheless it should help. After that you should be fine."

Damn, this is the dumbest software ever. The help file only contains the version #! WTF? I'm glad I found this because I was getting frustrated with this. Thanks man.
Hip Hop production using:
HP Laptop w/ Core Duo 1.83ghz
Live 6
Battery 3
Reason 3
Soundforge
Recycle
Axiom 49/Korg PadKontrol
Vestax 2000's
Stanton SA-12

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:58 am

i think the padkontrol is awesome...never tried triggerfinger, and it does have some cool things that padkontrol doesnt like the 8 pots and 4 faders, different aftertouch for each pads....
but i think the padkontrol scene/preset switching is awesome, and the xy pad is nasty, especially for synthy bass parts
in terms of software, i think the padkontrol editor is pretty easy to use, never had a problem, and my pads are not retriggering other pads no matter how hard or soft i hit it.

Machinate...if you get the lights working, my padkontrol will go from 8 to a 9 (10 would be with more faders/pots)

if you made the program shareware for liights, i would throw in, because it is way over my head to program that, and the added functionality would be fantastic (especially since i have my scenes programed so that 8 pads for an impulse and 8 to mute the slots)

it is a little plasticy, but it wouldnt be too hard to make it more solid by adding some rubber padding on the bottoms and sides

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:57 pm

As for it saying "for home and office use" most pieces of equipment say this. Probably something to do with the CE mark you see, legal requirements etc. My MOTU Ultralite has it on the bottom, and it's sturdy as hell.

coverdale76

Post by coverdale76 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:27 am

Check this out!
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... highlight=

I got the same problem!

My hard and soft wares specs as below:

Notebook: Toshiba M50
System: Windows XP SP2
Software version: padKONTROL Editor Librarian V1.0

Problem Solved!

Install new driver [1.8.0.2] from UK site:
http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/upload/DrvTools_e.exe

Choose the right port for MIDI in & out in preference setting:
For MIDI In choose "padKONTROL 1 PORT A" and for MIDI out choose padKONTROL 1 CTRL.
Sherman Banks wrote:"2. I had such a hard time getting that korg librarian editor to work - it always said "Device Inquiry Error". Turns out you have to set the midi configuration to a specific value and then it'll work perfectly. For those having the same problem:

For MIDI In choose "padKONTROL 1 PORT A" and for MIDI out choose "padKONTROL 1 CTRL". Now keep in mind I'm using these settings with USB so it probally won't work with MIDI cable but nevertheless it should help. After that you should be fine."

Damn, this is the dumbest software ever. The help file only contains the version #! WTF? I'm glad I found this because I was getting frustrated with this. Thanks man.
Toshiba M50, XP SP2, M-Audio Firewire 1814, Oxygen 8, UC33e, Korg padKONTROL, Roland V-Drum TD-8