Live Looping setup

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
waterox

Live Looping setup

Post by waterox » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi, I know there are a ton of postings about this, even a pretty useful screenshot, but still for a newbie getting something like the kid beyond setup working is not very intuitive. Explaining the principles isnt enough for some of us.. Im sure Im not the only one!

Im great at following instructions but not so great at making those sideways leaps of logic.. for us non-technical musicians who just want to make music could there be a way to post template files or detailed step-thrus for a live looping setup? I checked out the kb video but it doesnt give much away on a technical level.

Ive been looking at zone mobius but also having problems figuring out midi sync with that. I have figured out how to use a floor controller with bomes and midi yoke tho! (My post about that: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/zone ... ssage/3122)

Can anyone confirm that the fcb1010 is capable of outputting cc on individual midi channels? (for targeting or bypassing specific rack gear with clicks(

Any help is massively appreciated!!

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 am

I just checked the PDF manual for the FCB I downloaded, and there's nothing in it that suggests its controllers can transmit on different MIDI channels. There is a global setting for MIDI channel; it looks like the FCB will only transmit on that channel.

The manual is probably the worst I've seen [not that I've seen a lot, but more than 10], so I can't be sure. It's a truly crummy manual.

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm

i work with fcb 1010 ..i i hav made full vocal sound loop performances already=)

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:10 pm

i use the fcb on a single midi channel transmitting midi notes, and ccs on the footpedals.

my manual didnt even have an english translation section.

i had problems with the pc programmer, it alwasys seemed to switch pedals out and do weird things. the thing is not fun to program, but its doable if you take your time...

im plan on making a larger post soon about my last gig.
audio here:
http://www.ohmbience.com/audio/anemoneL ... Click4.mp3

video here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... lick&hl=en

here are some shots of my setup.

first off grautuitoius gear shot:

starting from the bottom i have my pedals doing:
up down scenePlay soloTrack4 turnEPvstiOn

top:
fireClip1 ..2 ..3 recordTrackA and b

pedals:
swing supatriggaOn/Off

BTW, i have the oxygen using the same midi notes as the fcb for most controls, so i can do either with my hands or foot.

here is a shot of my screen setup, but i have changed one or two things, i originally made this shot because i had a question, but i figured it out. the arrows indicate some haphazard way of audio/midi flow

hope this gives you some ideas..

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:33 pm

Questions for Josh:

1. Why do you have a -2ms predelay for Track 6?
2. Why do you record into Track 7 and then route it to Track 4? Why not record directly into Track 4?
3. Can you explain how you record and move clips around? Or is it the kind of thing where you record into Track 4 and/or 5 and then just leave it and move onto recording new clips?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get more in depth into your process.

Also, do you use Midi Translator to do some scripting? And if so, do you need the Pro version or will the Regular version do the trick? And do you also need MidiYoke?

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:47 pm

nebulae wrote:Questions for Josh:

1. Why do you have a -2ms predelay for Track 6?
2. Why do you record into Track 7 and then route it to Track 4? Why not record directly into Track 4?
3. Can you explain how you record and move clips around? Or is it the kind of thing where you record into Track 4 and/or 5 and then just leave it and move onto recording new clips?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get more in depth into your process.

Also, do you use Midi Translator to do some scripting? And if so, do you need the Pro version or will the Regular version do the trick? And do you also need MidiYoke?
hey man im more then happy to discuss this stuff, ive just about got it all down pat, but im still learning too...

1. the -2ms delay was just some experimentation trying to get my recored audio and midi clips in sync. it doesnt really make a difference and i never bothered to change it back for this screenshot.

2. i have 7 as an audio input track so i can record any of my audio or midi signals in tracks 4 or 5 without worrying about where they are coming from. if i only used the inputs on track 4 and 5 i would not be able to record the midi. this setup was based on the motherbrain 5000 live template on one of these threads somewhere.

3. yeah i just record an audio clip and if i mess up i try to delete it (with the delete key) and i just move on to empty clip slots. i try to make sure there are lots of empty spaces around.

4.i did not use any scripting, but i did use midiox to help troubleshoot the fcb midi programming.

thanks for the questions nebulae!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:51 pm

Makes sense. I'd love to chat some more - can you PM me any of your Instant Message IDs so that we can chat online?