Ableton ABANDONS DJ's with Live 6? Apparently so...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
masterbeat9999

Ableton ABANDONS DJ's with Live 6? Apparently so...

Post by masterbeat9999 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:23 pm

Is anyone else using Ableton to DJ live disappointed with Live 6? I just finally had time to install and start using it, and I'm surprised and very disappointed to see there are VIRTUALLY NO changes or improvements in the area of DJing with Live.

I've carefully watched (and posted) suggestions to the boards and forums since starting to DJ with Live a year ago with version 5.0. I've watched all the other suggestions as well and really don't see ANY of the most requested features for DJing incorporated into 6.

As further evidence (?) they've completely left "DJ'ing" with Ableton out of the tutorials in 6 - there was a nice section on it in 5. Where is it now?

I can't BELIEVE that we still can't control the frigging SIZE and COLOR of the marker scrolling in clip view. It's still A TINY 1 px BLACK BAR that you can barely see in good conditions let alone in a club environment from any distance. Come on ABLETON! How hard is it to make this marker a COLOR and a SIZE WE CAN SEE! Search the forums and there are about 4,267 requests for this.

How about warp markers that we can change colors on ourself - making our own makers that mean things, like intros/exit marks?

And one of the most requested features of all time, since 4.0, and talked about in EVERY review of Live as DJ software - the ability to see 2 playing clips at the same time.

NADA. NOTHING.

I was sticking by Live for 6.0 thinking they would at least make a couple of these improvements. Instead they seem to have completely IGNORED everyone using the software to DJ.

Mabye it's time to start looking at Traktor again. Or the new software coming out from Pioneer, Numark, etc.

Come on Ableton - don't forget about your loyal DJ's!

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:34 pm

I think its time this myth that Live is a Dj tool should stop. There are much better solutions than live for DJs. All of them allow you to see two waveforms. Maybe, just maybe ableton are subtly trying to send a message?
live is great for electronic artists playing live and working in the studio. I feel this Dj angle with live is watering down the decisions ableton make regarding development of the software. Adding the cross fader on live wasnt the best move in my opinon but it helped sales.
I know thats not music to your ears.
Last edited by mercyplease on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HA HA HA :twisted:

Tone Deft

Re: Ableton ABANDONS DJ's with Live 6? Apparently so...

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm

8 band EQ sounds better then the 3 band, with racks you can make a TIGHT EQ

Want to label your markers? Put some text next to them. rtfm. Want different colors? Change the skin.

you need a tutorial to DJ with Live?? :lol: Is it that hard to figure out?

see two clips at once? so you can enhance the look of checking your e-mail? use your ears. there's also the progress indicators above the track faders, right in front of you where you can watch ALL the tracks' progress.

where were you during beta testing?? now you come out of the woodwork with a post like this? 'sticking by Live?' you're flaming the program but haven't read the manual. please be nice when you post.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:43 pm

You're crazy man. Flat out crazy. :wink:

Version 6 has the new crossfader curves finally.

Effects racks rock for organizing your effects.

Way more clip colors for organizing your tunes.

Multiple midi mappings per control let you tweak like never before.

Lots of new stuff for DJ use, just don't think about it like a traditional DJ.

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:56 pm

yeah this myth has got to stop....

when will people learn they have to use things in the prescribed fashion?

;)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:23 am

Tone Deft wrote:Want to label your markers? Put some text next to them. rtfm. .
what?? I can't find that in the manual anywhere, how do I put text next to a warp marker?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:26 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Want to label your markers? Put some text next to them. rtfm. .
what?? I can't find that in the manual anywhere, how do I put text next to a warp marker?
ugh, arrangement view...

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:24 am

They won't give DJs exactly what DJs want because they're not interested really, but the other things they give us are so huge that you just can't really complain.

I want video in session view, warped clip as master in session view, clip colors in the browser, clip colors that don't change from version to version & blow my whole scheme, scrubbing previews, double waveforms, etc. & I think they'll be useful additions for everyone if/when they get here. Just like the crossfader-there are a million ways to use it while composing/mixing.

But I really believe that smart features from other DJ software get overlooked because of the DJ stigma. It's too "lowbrow" when your main goal is changing the way people use computers to compose & perform.

I'll say all this stuff every time it comes up, but it doesn't bother me day to day because I'm so busy digging up all the new stuff I can do with 6. It's a trade-off.

zappen

Post by zappen » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:35 am

Tone Deft i think you havn't understud the feaure request that he's talking about..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:37 am

zappen wrote:Tone Deft i think you havn't understud the feaure request that he's talking about..
correct. I read his post, it clicked that many of the features are there, I just rattled of an answer and got one wrong. like I said, my 'tip' was arrangement view. that's what happens when you help people, sometimes you get an answer wrong and you get hated on, thanks.

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:57 am

Tarekith wrote:You're crazy man. Flat out crazy. :wink:

Version 6 has the new crossfader curves finally.

Effects racks rock for organizing your effects.

Way more clip colors for organizing your tunes.

Multiple midi mappings per control let you tweak like never before.

Lots of new stuff for DJ use, just don't think about it like a traditional DJ.
what he said

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:59 am

mercyplease wrote:I think its time this myth that Live is a Dj tool should stop.
live is great for electronic artists playing live and working in the studio.

HA HA HA :twisted:

djsentinel

Post by djsentinel » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:04 am

I'm using ableton as transition between FS2 and Torq + New Equip "my last set of tables got destroyed and I need a better mixer anyway" and it does the job well. I don't see using ableton in the future because it doesn't give you the control a DJ needs. That's why I'm moving to Torq w/ Control Vinyl.

Stop bitching about Live not being a good DJ tool. It's meant for production and live electronic people "i'm not talking about DJ's..."

So STFU and buy Torq!

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:37 am

Welcome to July lol
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

robin

Post by robin » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:19 am

I think they could probably do more in terms of catering for Live performance (which includes DJs) with the additional features. There's a few obvious things they could do (and the tiny current position marker is one of them).

That said I think a lot of DJs try the Live and while trying to think like they would with two turntables get bewildered. Live requires a different approach which when you get used to it is very flexible and powerful. That's why I use it.

I also find it interesting that people feel the need to repeat themselves to try to get a reaction too, like bating DJs/live performers is the cool troll thing to do. Please.