Live 6 Automap template for the Edirol PCR-M30 *updated*

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
hgavin

Live 6 Automap template for the Edirol PCR-M30 *updated*

Post by hgavin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:33 pm

UPDATE: I've changed the CC's to "undefined" ones, and move a few button assignments

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the automap settings I've just got working with my Edirol PCR-M30. I would expect it to work identically with the M50 or M80. I've just allocated CCs to all the controls, then used those numbers in the automap text file. I'll probably refine it, but all the controls are responding, which is the first hurdle. The screenshot below shows the CC allocation from the Windows PCR Editor software.

Download the PCR template and my UserConfiguration.txt here

The setup at the moment is the first seven faders get mapped to track volume 1-7, with fader 8 for master volume. The knobs get automapped to e.g. macros 1-8
CHANGED: The three buttons on the left are mapped to stop/play/record, button B1 selects bank 1, B2 moves to previous bank and B3 moves to next bank. B4-B6 are unassigned.

To use: unzip, and use the PCR editor to download the mapping to your PCR. Copy the PCR-M30 folder to your Ableton Remote Scripts folder. On Windows XP this is c:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Ableton\6.0.1\Preferences\User Remote Scripts

You should then be able to select PCR-M30 as a remote control surface in the Live preferences.

Cheers,

Gavin
Last edited by hgavin on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All the gear but no idea.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:50 pm

Nice man, thanks! I use a PCR-m1 occasionally, so this will come in handy.

dru

Post by dru » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:33 pm

Ahh nice one, this should work with my PCR50. Now I need one for my padKontrol. :?

dru

Post by dru » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:02 pm

Could you maybe explain in detail what the knobs and the L1-L3 buttons do exactly? Sorry but I'm very new to Live.. :oops:

davec1

Post by davec1 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:36 pm

edit:

nvm, thx, works now....

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:58 pm

dru wrote:Could you maybe explain in detail what the knobs and the L1-L3 buttons do exactly? Sorry but I'm very new to Live.. :oops:
With automap, those features change depending on what device is selected.

hgavin

Post by hgavin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:24 pm

Tarekith wrote:
dru wrote:Could you maybe explain in detail what the knobs and the L1-L3 buttons do exactly? Sorry but I'm very new to Live.. :oops:
With automap, those features change depending on what device is selected.
Exactly. I'm still getting the hang of it, but here are a couple of examples:
With the setup as I posted it, if you select a rack, then knobs 1-8 control macros 1-8.
If you select Operator then L1-L3 select the different "banks". L1 returns to the first bank, which for Operator is Osc A. L3 and L2 move up or down through the banks. The banks are: Osc A,B,C,D,LFO,Filter, Pitch Mod, Routing. If you select Osc A, then knobs 1-4 control the ADSR envelope, 5 is for Coarse, 6 for Fine, 7 for Velocity and 8 for Level.

Other instruments have other mappings, but the only way to find out is to select an instrument/plug-in so you see the purple hand, and try it. I've got takeover mode set to "Pick Up", and when I move a knob or fader there is information about the selected control in the status bar at the bottom until the values match. Switching between banks should tell you what bank is selected in the status bar as well.

As for the padKontrol, I've got one, but I can't see how it would really fit in to automapping as it stands now. Automapping is restricted to the parameters defined in the UserConfiguration.txt file, so unless you use the PK for transport and arming tracks there's not really an obvious fit for it. I'm going to stick with regular midi mapping and using it for simplers and impulses.

Gavin

davec1

Post by davec1 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:11 pm

OMG!

I've played around with this a bit, this is awesome and intuitive!

it's a bit unfortunate that operator doesn't switch the display to show what you're manipulating when you switch banks, but apart from that this looks very promising...

edit: you might consider rethinking the cc numbers you've assigned, though, as for instance cc1 is usually associated with the mod wheel and might be a bit of a problem when using vsts (just was checking what was assigned in synth1 for instance, and using the modwheel switches the vst on and off! same goes for cc7 and cc10 who are commonly used for other stuff)

davec1

Post by davec1 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:09 pm

oddly, I've tried changing the first knob's cc to 26 and adjusting the Userconfiguration file, but it's not working....

here's what I changed compared to your version, am I missing something?

Encoder1: 26
Encoder2: 2
Encoder3: 3
Encoder4: 4
Encoder5: 5
Encoder6: 6
Encoder7: 7
Encoder8: 8

I don't see any other instances of Encoder1 that look like they need adjusting to the new cc number, but then again I'm new at this....

edit: lol, never mind, I was editing the wrong file....
Last edited by davec1 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dru

Post by dru » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:17 am

I managed to use the knobs now (I saw the purple hand) but I had to actually click on the plugin for that. I know it's probably not a completely mouseless solution, but is there any way to allow Live to scroll through the different plugins using midi maps?

davec1

Post by davec1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:22 am

once you have one device selected in a channel, I think you can use the arrow keys to move to the next device on the same channel (like an fx unit)...

however that's not quite perfect yet, there ought to be a way to toggle through the channels and the respective devices...

I'd also love a way to move the record arming from one track to the next to select active tracks somehow....

Paul R

Post by Paul R » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:52 pm

Thank you kindly, that works very well and is an answer to my prayers.

was wondering if there was any way to control the sends of each individual channels.
ideally using the keyboard keys to select a channel and then automatically map the knobs (r1-r8) to the sends of that channel.
also would be ideal to map the pitch bend to switch between instruments/effects etc.. - basically working as right and left keys.

maybe im getting ahead of myself :lol:

many thanks again

davec1

Post by davec1 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:36 am

I don't think automap can do that.

you should be able to assign sends to the knobs, but it somehow doesn't work for me, neiter with the pcr-50 nor the uc33...

Dj Sly20

Live 6 Automap template for the Edirol PCR-M30

Post by Dj Sly20 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:21 am

:D
Thank's

hgavin

Post by hgavin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:34 pm

I've updated the CC's in my PCR template so the don't conflict with standard assignments, and I've changed some of the button assignments. The UserConfiguration.txt has been updated with the new CC's.

Cheers,

Gavin