AU presets & saving settings with project

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Vance

AU presets & saving settings with project

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:48 am

I think I've discovered a problem... Obviously on OS X

1) Insert an AU effect
2) Hit the little round equilibrium arrows button to bring up the list of AU presets for that plugin
3) Select a preset
4) Make some changes to the preset
5) Save your project

When you open the project up, the plugin will load the plain unaltered preset, without any of the tweaking you did...

Can anyone confirm?

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:36 pm

*bump*

i need an answer to this kinda quckly... is this a bug or am i missing something fundamental here? coz no matter what i use, EVERY audio unit displays this behaviour...

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:36 pm

Well if you've confirmed it happens with your Live (Which version btw??), it sounds like a big bug.
I will try to post back after I test.
Does this happen with fx only or all AU including instruments?
Well spotted anyway if this is the case I hadn't noticed.
d.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:39 pm

Yes it happens with all AUs for me right now... instruments and effects, the whole shebang...

Running 6.0.1 under OS X

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:25 am

I couldn't reproduce this (consistently, or at all; I might have done something else wrong the one time I thought I got it), but I did get some odd behavior. Sometimes changes in the AU's interface (I used zebra2 to test) did not make the File->Save Set menu choice active (i.e. not grayed out) -- I couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason for when they would, but you can force it by doing something else in live itself. Is it possible you are hitting apple-s, which will do nothing if the menu item is deactivated, in this situation? Still a bug but easier to work around...

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:01 am

The File->Save choice is not greyed out.

Can nobody seriously reproduce this? Maybe my computer is crazy!

Once again, here's what you do:

1) Load an AU
2) Hit the little round orange arrow "preset swap" button and select a new AU preset from the menu.
3) Tweak the preset in some way - change filter cutoff, change volume, change something so that it's different from the raw preset
4) Save the project

When you reopen it, your AU will load the raw preset you loaded in step 2, sans the tweaking you did in step 3.

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:03 am

I should also point out that I've noticed this bug does not occur if you load presets through the plugin's internal preset browser (if it has one).

The problem is that some plugins don't have an internal preset browser, so the little orange button is the only way to access presets, and obviously with this bug, those plugins will never save any tweaking over and above the plain raw preset.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:00 am

Thankfully (For me :wink:) I couldn't reproduce this.
Tested Instruments and multiple Fx, but I did not test everything (So I will report if I find anything).

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:12 am

OK... I'm on an Intel Mac though, so potentially it could be a problem with the Intel binary?

Maybe? I'm just throwing ideas out there :)

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:16 am

Vance wrote:OK... I'm on an Intel Mac though, so potentially it could be a problem with the Intel binary?
You're probably right Vance, I was thinkin' the same too.

krikor

Post by krikor » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:22 pm

i have this problem on my g5, so it's not only a mactel problem.
result is that i have to work on a session and never close it otherwise i loose everything. This happened with all the UAD-1 plugin i was using...
ABLETON?????????????????????????

Vance

Post by Vance » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:53 pm

Nice one, I was beginning to think I was the only one... :)

I've emailed support with a project that has the problem, hopefully that will help em get to the bottom of it...

Gregor

Post by Gregor » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi vance,

I checked this with a number of AUs and everything seems to be fine for me. Could you give me a hint on what AUs you're using? Are you using AUs simply in a track or as part of a rack?

Regards,
Gregor
Gregor Klinke
klinke@ableton.com

krikor

Post by krikor » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:21 am

well i have this problem with all UAD-1 plugs, non racked, including GateComp, rever140, fairchild comp. Nigel amp simulation...

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:24 pm

[Mac G5 Quad / OSX 10.4.8 / Live 6.0.1] + [iBook G3 900 / OSX 10.4.6 / Live 6.0.1]

I can reproduce this. (Haven't noticed before, because I rarely use factory presets; see below)

Some details:

-- It happens only when you initially loaded a System Preset (i.e. one of those that are built into the AU as factory presets and not visible in the Finder / can't 100% reproduce for those residing in the Local Domain folder)

-- After re-loading a saved song, the Live standard GUI (the sliders editor) will reflect the changes you made to the parameters, while the plugin's GUI will reflect the values of the initially loaded System Preset.
-- The sound will be according to the initially loaded System Preset (i.e. the values reflected in the plugin's GUI).

-- It does not happen if you initially loaded a preset from the User Domain folder.

-- For comparisson I tried to reproduce this in Live 5 as well, and it seems to be the same problem there.

Gregor, for reproducing you could e.g. try any Pluggo plugin, or the free DestroyFX plugins - they have 'in-built' presets.

For those who have the problem: Until it is fixed, the obvoius workaround is to save the edited preset to the User Domain folder and re-load it from there, before you save the song.