"clip tank"

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
onnomon

"clip tank"

Post by onnomon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:48 am

I think it would be useful to be able to drag clips into a "clip tank", that is- a region of space within the Live window space. Currently it is possible to drag a clip into a file folder via one of the file browsers. It would be more convenient to just drag a clip onto a screen region. The clip would retain it visual attributes (color). Perhaps the "clip tank" could be located in the clip view region and accessed via a "clip tank" button below the file browser buttons. Or the "clip tank" could stored in the file browser list region. I would like the clips to be presented in the same manner they appear when in tracks (track view). The actual clip data could be stored in the default audio folder of the project.

Sometimes I have so many clips in a project that, when I want to add another from the file browser, I don't want to wipe-out an existing clip. At this point it would be useful to drag clips from tracks onto this "clip tank" rather than navigating a file browser before saving the clip.

onnomon

clip tank

Post by onnomon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:37 am

something like this [me thinks me has alot of spare time for all this]:

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 am

I think this kind of pool would rather belong into the "Manage Project" area, along the lines of "Manage Sample File(s)".
The more complicated thing about this is: Live would have to be able to keep track of what clips are exact duplicates of other clips (to show that clip only once), and what clips became "new" clips through duplication+modification.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 am

dr.wackler wrote:I think this kind of pool would rather belong into the "Manage Project" area, along the lines of "Manage Sample File(s)".
The more complicated thing about this is: Live would have to be able to keep track of what clips are exact duplicates of other clips (to show that clip only once), and what clips became "new" clips through duplication+modification.
I want a feature like that anyway in file manager - I would really like Live to keep track of duplicates and even keep track of what Live sets use the files