how does Live 6 arrange window speed compare to 5.2.2?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cache

how does Live 6 arrange window speed compare to 5.2.2?

Post by Cache » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:13 pm

I've tried out the demo on a few new projects and it seems quicker than 5.22 to move around in the arrange window, cut and paste and so on.
I haven't turned it over to my really large projects (~30 tracks) yet.

anyone got any comprehensive yes/no on whether the arrange window slowness problem is fixed or not in 6?

I started working in Nuendo again recently and it is like night and day how fast that is to move around/cut/paste/duplicate.

If Steinberg adopted Ableton warp feature (which is 3rd party licensed) and also fixed their midi-learn (or lack of), then they would be a serious alternative to Live for speed/flexibility in the studio.

I've also been hitting the CPU spike issue on 5.2.2 consistently with a certain project. Any comments on if this is better in live 6?
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:14 pm

its so much more fluid

i dont feel like tearing my hair out at the arrange screen anymore!

ikke

Post by ikke » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:31 pm

one word: SMOOTH!

roby

Post by roby » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:35 pm

great news!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:19 pm

That was one of the first things I noticed about 6, navigating in arrange feels MUCH better now.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:56 pm

Im saying a conservative 25% decrease in overall cpu with live 6. Arrange mode is more fluid by a good bit. I was originally putting this down to better cpu useage but I think theres more to it than that. 6 shows how cpu un-friendly 5 was.
HA HA HA :twisted:

forge

Post by forge » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 am

right before 6 went from Alpha to beta your man sweetjesus here did a big post about how much arrange performance saddened him

we all joined in and made a big deal about it

they postponed the beta, worked round the clock for a couple of days and came back with the improvements you see now before you! :wink:

so it was close - we nearly wouldnt have been any better off by the first beta if it wasnt fr Mr SJ here!
:D

supster

Post by supster » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:55 am

forge wrote:right before 6 went from Alpha to beta your man sweetjesus here did a big post about how much arrange performance saddened him

we all joined in and made a big deal about it

they postponed the beta, worked round the clock for a couple of days and came back with the improvements you see now before you! :wink:

thats awesome. I didnt follow the issue during beta because i picked up a new dual-core right after the beta started and it fixed the entire issue for me, among others.

however i was with a student tonite - on his rig using 5 - and (again) had the same issue ... we were just talking about this, I recommended he upgrade to Live 6 to see if it made a difference

Sounds like it might, good job SJ and thanks ableton for recognizing the seriousness of the problem

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Cache

Post by Cache » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:46 am

yeah, i bit the bullet and loaded up some of my hair-tearing (if i had any) sets into live 6 demo.

the arrange window is much much better. i can actually cut and paste like i MEAN IT, including while tracks are Following.

i'm pretty excited actually because i was there way back at the early 6 versions and it was still crap. but sounds like SJ and rest of us made a difference here.

wow, looks like 6 could be the shiznit.

next to see if resolved or not - the dreaded CPU spikes.... :-)
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays