EDIT button - VOTE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you wish to see the sample EDIT button returned in Live 6.0.2?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:12 am

YES
91%
NO
9%

Total votes: 182

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:17 pm

aqua_tek wrote:meh. i dont miss it

but whatever bring it back for those who crave it
You wont miss it if your not using an external editor frequently but I imagine a good amount are always editing so every time they go to press the edit switch they will by nature try and use the old method. This can causesteam to jet from the ears and interfere with the creative process'. Anything that interferes with the creative process Im against.

This might be a crazy idea :roll: but would anyone care to actually ask them why You never know they may have an ace reason and if explained we might be fine with it. For all we know they might have forgot to put it back in or the boy went off and had a tea break and decided there and then its game over for the edit button.

Dear Ableton,
I used to use the edit button but you took it away. Can you tell me and some other users why the edit button was removed. Its not a major problem but it would be nice to know unless its a state secret or something. right now were sort of pissing in the wind wondering if it will make a comeback.
Put us out of our mysery.

Thanks
HA HA HA :twisted:

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:41 pm

mercyplease wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:meh. i dont miss it

but whatever bring it back for those who crave it
You wont miss it if your not using an external editor frequently but I imagine a good amount are always editing so every time they go to press the edit switch they will by nature try and use the old method. This can causesteam to jet from the ears and interfere with the creative process'. Anything that interferes with the creative process Im against.

This might be a crazy idea :roll: but would anyone care to actually ask them why You never know they may have an ace reason and if explained we might be fine with it. For all we know they might have forgot to put it back in or the boy went off and had a tea break and decided there and then its game over for the edit button.

Dear Ableton,
I used to use the edit button but you took it away. Can you tell me and some other users why the edit button was removed. Its not a major problem but it would be nice to know unless its a state secret or something. right now were sort of pissing in the wind wondering if it will make a comeback.
Put us out of our mysery.

Thanks
I did that during Beta 6, the answer was that the edit button didnt work on a clip basis, only worked globaly on that clip, so if you were using the same clip elsewhere that would get edited also,

So

since th edit button is a global feature, they have stuck it with a load of other global features in the file manager, which displays all of the files in use, even if they are duplicated.

The bit that doesnt make sense to me is that they have just left a space.

Why not leave the edit button anyway, why not add a go to manager button, why not something else.

Its just the way the button has been removed and then the whole process has been made awkward.

GIVE US BACK THE EDIT BUTTON AND WE WILL BE HAPPY

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:43 pm

also it would be most helpfull if we could lock or group warp markers, so when live warps and chooses the offbeat you could just slide them all across instead of having to go through every one of them.

and for cool effects.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:45 pm

with ctrl-a you can select ALL the warp markers at once. just select one of them then ctrl-a.

Matt77

Post by Matt77 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:01 am

Bring it back!!

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:51 am

Tone Deft wrote:with ctrl-a you can select ALL the warp markers at once. just select one of them then ctrl-a.
Cheers, i never once thought of trying that. Cool.

ALso you can select one, hold shift and select another to highlight all in between if you want to select a group markers.

Like in word.

Cool eh.

Oh and

BRING BACK THE EDIT

4am

Post by 4am » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:03 am

yes! bring it back please

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:06 am

If everybody puts BRING BACK THE EDIT BUTTON in their profile description we can spread this message through all threads right the way across the forum

Loud and Clear

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:19 am

I'd rather want Ableton to add a new edit button where the old one used to be: One that makes a copy of the file and opens that in the external editor. This way it is ensured that it acts 'local'. If you really want the editing to affect the sample everywhere it is used in your set, go the 'manage sample file' route.

In Live 5 most of the time I used to consolitate or make a copy anyway before opening a sample in the external editor, because in most cases I need the editing to affect only that specific clip. The cases where I really need the editing to affect the sample everywhere throughout the whole set, are quite rare.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:27 am

an edit button that opens that sample "waveform" into your wave editor as "waveform(2)" or somthing, when you save it it automatically adds it to your session.

cool idea.

I think maybe having 2 edit buttons, one on the clip and then 1 in the manager will be confusing to a lot of people though.

oh and

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:42 pm

dr.wackler wrote:In Live 5 most of the time I used to consolitate or make a copy anyway before opening a sample in the external editor, because in most cases I need the editing to affect only that specific clip. The cases where I really need the editing to affect the sample everywhere throughout the whole set, are quite rare.
exactly.
It's not rare for me to do the entire clip, but if I don't want to, just consolidate, it's that simple. Well, WAS that simple
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:34 pm

Chris J wrote:
dr.wackler wrote:In Live 5 most of the time I used to consolitate or make a copy anyway before opening a sample in the external editor, because in most cases I need the editing to affect only that specific clip. The cases where I really need the editing to affect the sample everywhere throughout the whole set, are quite rare.
exactly.
It's not rare for me to do the entire clip, but if I don't want to, just consolidate, it's that simple. Well, WAS that simple
What - until they took the edit button away??????

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:08 pm

+1

the abes did not even fill in the blank spot where it used to be, there is just this creepy ghost like void where it used to be.

give us back our button god damn it or we'll kick you squaw in the nuts.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:33 pm

dr.wackler wrote:I'd rather want Ableton to add a new edit button where the old one used to be: One that makes a copy of the file and opens that in the external editor. This way it is ensured that it acts 'local'. If you really want the editing to affect the sample everywhere it is used in your set, go the 'manage sample file' route.

In Live 5 most of the time I used to consolitate or make a copy anyway before opening a sample in the external editor, because in most cases I need the editing to affect only that specific clip. The cases where I really need the editing to affect the sample everywhere throughout the whole set, are quite rare.
Oooh! Good thinking! Or get a dialog where you can choose. :D

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:43 pm

yes thankyou very much!!