Poll: Did you ever pirate Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Did you ever Pirate Ableton?

Yes. I still use it and have never paid a dime.
3%
Yes. But I've since bought the software.
49%
Yes. But I don't use Ableton anymore.
No votes
No. I bought it. Never had a pirated copy.
46%
No. I don't use Ableton. I just like reading Alex's posts. He's sexy.
2%

Total votes: 284

Allison Redhead

Post by Allison Redhead » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I used to use cracked software, and gave it all up years ago. You don't have a category for that.
I don't really care what your personal philisophy on cracked software is. Only if:

You use Ableton.
If it's currently licensed.
If so, have you ever used a cracked version of it?

Just because the poll is rubbing your morality the wrong way doesn't make it a flawed poll.
If I say I used a cracked copy of Live, then it's a vote for the "try before you buy" ideology of cracked software, and none of the other categories fit either.
Again, because the facts rub your morality the wrong way doesn't make it a flawed poll.

"I'm not voting because it will show everyone my worldview is flawed." That's childish.
Since using cracked software and subsequently deciding that it's simply BS to perpetuate this false attitude that a computer user with an internet connection etc. (basically somebody with some disposable income) is somehow owed other people's hard work.
What does any of that have to do with the question "Did you move from a cracked version of Ableton to a licensed one" ?

It's a yes/no question.
Sure, people will sometimes buy software they steal, but realistically, I realized that if I didn't toss it all, I would never pay for it all! Period!
The poll results suggest your view is a minority one.

It's BS really, every person I know who advocates "try before you buy" is still "trying" at least half the programs on their computer.
Have them vote then.
The poll doesn't reflect who I am, or the situation with cracked software, at all.
Notice the conceit here. "Who I am" and "the [worldwide] situation with cracked software" are identical? How many mirrors do you have in your house anyway? ;)

This was part of the point of the poll. People are emotional on this issue because they just aren't in touch with the numbers. They, instead, choose to substitute the very poor metric of personal experience for fact.

- Allison

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:03 pm

My question is how many people are out there who do not participate in this forum using a cracked version of Live regularly? Of course, that can't be captured here.

One thing that I have found is that when you only use software you buy, you make very careful choices (because money is involved) instead of loading your computer with everything under the sun. This way you start to exploit things fully instead of getting lost in too many options.

The easiest way to simplify and become more productive if you are using cracked software is to trash it all and start over with only the essentials you are willing to pay for. It's amazing how much you can do with just one piece of software if you really get to know it well.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:20 pm

huffcw wrote:My question is how many people are out there who do not participate in this forum using a cracked version of Live regularly? Of course, that can't be captured here.

One thing that I have found is that when you only use software you buy, you make very careful choices (because money is involved) instead of loading your computer with everything under the sun. This way you start to exploit things fully instead of getting lost in too many options.
The easiest way to simplify and become more productive if you are using cracked software is to trash it all and start over with only the essentials you are willing to pay for. It's amazing how much you can do with just one piece of software if you really get to know it well.
+1A

p.s. and very old slow computers.
*** Image GAFM ***

dyphase

Post by dyphase » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:42 pm

I never used a pirated copy of live. First I tried Live Lite Digidesign Edition, which came bundled with protools LE. After several hours of fun, i bought the upgrade to the full version.

I think, it doesn´t makes sense to use a pirated DAW, because of updates and support. DAWs aren´t overpriced like some plugins.

I think the main problem is, that there is much crappy software out there, which is overpriced, because it doesn´t work nearly flawlessly.

I´m a huge fan of trial versions. You can check out, if everythings works like expected. Trial versions have saved me from wasting my money in many times.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:06 pm

I just read that people using the Live 6 crack are having serial requests, after just 7 days of use... Gotta love that :wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

kcp

Post by kcp » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:21 pm

Got Live 4 Lite with a soundcard and bought Live 5. I'll buy Live 6 soon.

Using pirated software is juvenile and unprofessional.

And you damn kids stay off my lawn!
Last edited by kcp on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:45 pm

I upgraded from Lite to v5 and now v6. No cracks, no real desire for them. I'd prefer my stuff to be legit - no judgement on anyone else, but I want to be above-board.

I found the Lite version good enough to get me interested - I fiddled with the full demo before upgrading, but it was awhile before I even had a basic enough grasp of what I was doing (and I'm still working on that, it ain't been that long! :lol: ). It was reading several reviews about the newer features combined with a price break that really tipped the scales, though. (Sue me, I'm broke...)

I've never really liked testing with demo versions, because it usually takes awhile to get the hang of a program, & if you can't save anything then you can't pick up where you left off. Still, I understand why they do it that way. Personally, I'd prefer a 30-day full-feature that shuts off, or a limited save feature that maybe just disallowed exporting.

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:36 pm

I started with a cracked version of Acid 2.0 (I think) and Rebirth. I was unhappy with Acid and when I bought an M-Audio Audiophile Sound Card that came with a light version of Live 2 (I think) For some reason I couldn't upgrade the light version. I purchased a new version of 2 on Ebay and then eventually upgraded to 4 and 5 and 6.

I will never have a another cracked version of any software on any of my computers again but I can't totally condem it cause It got me into making music. (tho I quickly switched to hardware and still use quit a bit of hardware rahter than software.) also since I decieded to stop having crack on my computer (this was 3 computers ago) I stoped having problems with computers. Not sure if it is casue of this but that is what I decieded. I used to have all kinds of problems with my computers.

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:40 pm

franknputer wrote: I've never really liked testing with demo versions, because it usually takes awhile to get the hang of a program, & if you can't save anything then you can't pick up where you left off. Still, I understand why they do it that way. Personally, I'd prefer a 30-day full-feature that shuts off, or a limited save feature that maybe just disallowed exporting.
this is one reason why I never got into Reason. The demo I had for reason crapped out after 30mins. It took me 20 mins to figure out how to route sound to my soundcard.

MathematiK I

Post by MathematiK I » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:10 pm

+1 :oops:
the artist formerly known as 3dot...

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:13 pm

i would like to know if anyone who owns a legal version uses the cracked version instead?

just for the hell of it

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:24 am

the unknown wanderer wrote:i would like to know if anyone who owns a legal version uses the cracked version instead?

just for the hell of it
Of Cubase SX yes. :)

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:34 am

I used a crack for versions 1 & 2 in the earlies - I had a mostly hardware setup then and was still paying for all that physical stuff that ain't worth so much now that a computer replaces it all (I was basically using Live as a glorified sampler with my hardware setup). When Live 3 came out I decided that I was using Live more and more and I really wanted to own my main ride - the program was just so cool and the company so small and hip, that I could no longer bear to not support them. I am so happy to have made this decision and have instantly paid every update and even bought operator on a whim one night (late with my credit card - you know how it goes...). I now use Live to do band production as well as my own electronic stuff and I can't think of an easier to use or more "flow" friendly sequencer. I am a Live user for as long as there is a program......

Orion
Can you hear it?

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:08 am

I got into Live(ver. 2) via a bundle with the X-Session, a couple years ago. Then, upgrading to the full version(3) was only like $119 boxed!. Ableton is so easy and inexpensive to own legitimately that it's senseless (and more expensive!) to use a crack and then have to pay full price when you go legit.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:16 am

Allison Redhead wrote: Just because the poll is rubbing your morality the wrong way doesn't make it a flawed poll.
Morality has nothing to do with it. The poll is geared towards getting a response you want. Compare it to asking if you have ever drunk alcohol, or cocaine. If the questions point towards your advocating cocaine by saying yes, then it's a flawed poll.
Say someone was making a point about heroin, that it was not good, and you started a poll asking if anybody had ever tried heroin. If your intention was to prove that a heroin user is not a bad person because others have also tried heroin, it's flawed statistics.
Again, because the facts rub your morality the wrong way doesn't make it a flawed poll.

"I'm not voting because it will show everyone my worldview is flawed." That's childish.
It's not a factual poll if all the categories for the question are not there. This has nothing to do with morality. It's like a lesbian asking a woman if she has ever slept with another woman as proof of her lesbianism.

Allison Redhead wrote:
Sure, people will sometimes buy software they steal, but realistically, I realized that if I didn't toss it all, I would never pay for it all! Period!
The poll results suggest your view is a minority one.
Right, start a poll and ask people if they have any cracked software on their computer at all, and you'll see that even people who paid for Live, who advocate cracked software to some degree, have plenty of cracked software on their computer. All you have to do is look at the people around you and you realize how prevalent it is.
I personally couldn't care if my opinion is completely different to 99.99% of the planet, if all of you are fooling yourselves, and trying to get me to agree.
Allison Redhead wrote:
The poll doesn't reflect who I am, or the situation with cracked software, at all.
Notice the conceit here. "Who I am" and "the [worldwide] situation with cracked software" are identical? How many mirrors do you have in your house anyway? ;)

This was part of the point of the poll. People are emotional on this issue because they just aren't in touch with the numbers. They, instead, choose to substitute the very poor metric of personal experience for fact.

- Allison
If English is not your first language, then I understand why you would think that I was connecting my personal opinion with the bigger picture here. If it is, then you need to read what I said clearly, the conjunction "or" was used where you reply like I said "and". "Doesn't reflect who I am" as in, your poll is geared towards your personal agenda, not mine.

I think you are refusing to look at what I'm saying, for whatever reason? You can make a poll look any way you want to.

In seattle here most kids steal cars in high school, it's some sort of right of passage, if I made a poll that said, "have you ever stolen a car?" Well here in Seattle you would get a lot of yes votes, and if you were to say per chance use that information to come to the conclusion that "stealing cars gets a lot of young drivers interested in having their own!"
Would that prove anything at all? Would there be any real information gathered? All it would really prove is that some of us when young had little ethics.
I appreciate your intention, but I think your poll is biased towards your agenda, not the facts.