Sampler Vs. Kontakt...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:35 pm

SubFunk wrote:nice one and thanks GRB,

i have Kontakt 1 and 2 and use mainly 1, don't need all the new Kontakt 2 features, really. and Kontakt 1 is stable in my case and does all i need. [2 gives me a crash headache] the only thing about Kontakt 1 that bugs me is that you cant scroll or jump via keys through the browser.

if you have already Kontakt, i say stick to it. if you make a new purchse, i have not used sampler intensively enough during the beta test to propperly compare them.

but i believe that GRB said it all.
i changed to konatkt 2 in the meantime, because it is stable by now and i am used to it, got also deeper into sampler, nothing wrong with that, still using kontakt more, but only because i am so used to it...
*** Image GAFM ***

steff3

Post by steff3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:07 pm

[quote="thehuman"]

If you're going to do that, you might as well just get Kontakt. I considered doing the same thing, but $200 for a sampler with no library that you can ONLY use in one program seems crazy and outlandish when you can get Kontakt + library for $300, and you will be able to use it in any host.[/quote]

well, sure it is on the one hand. But that is the same as with getting Toyota or a Daimler. The Toyota will to most things the same, lots of things better and it is even cheaper, but a lot still buy Daimler !?

Sampler can do some things that no other Sampler can do. If you just want to play back sample libraries Kontakt is the way to go. If you want the stuff in Sampler and the workflow - well, take it or leave it .... get what you need and what works for you.

best

tricil

Post by tricil » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 pm

thehuman wrote:
tricil wrote:can i just get sampler and then get the kontakt experience DVD and load the kontakt files?
If you're going to do that, you might as well just get Kontakt. I considered doing the same thing, but $200 for a sampler with no library that you can ONLY use in one program seems crazy and outlandish when you can get Kontakt + library for $300, and you will be able to use it in any host.
except for the fact that live is my only host
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

thehuman

Post by thehuman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:31 am

tricil wrote:
thehuman wrote:
tricil wrote:can i just get sampler and then get the kontakt experience DVD and load the kontakt files?
If you're going to do that, you might as well just get Kontakt. I considered doing the same thing, but $200 for a sampler with no library that you can ONLY use in one program seems crazy and outlandish when you can get Kontakt + library for $300, and you will be able to use it in any host.
except for the fact that live is my only host
A very valid point. I suppose I was just stating the case I made to myself, seeing as how I can kind of see myself drifting away from Live right now. Plus, I actually do mostly just want a general sound library, so Kontakt was an easy choice for me. Sampler and puremagnetik is always a safe bet, though.