Sampler Vs. Kontakt...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:27 pm

glitchrock-buddha that was inspiring.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I have Kontact, if I didn't I might go with Sampler, if Live was my only DAW. As it stands I switch between DAWs a bit, so Kontact wins. Kontact has way more features, the only real advantage of Sampler is ease of use and that the samples should save with your project, making it easier to archive old songs etc.
If you save your Kontakt patch in monolith format in the project folder you can keep the samples in your project that way. Not quite as convenient but close enough.

craw

Post by craw » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:22 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:The fight would go something like this:

round 1:
:D :D :D :D :D

Brilliant.

Whats your take on PC v Mac?
craw

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:40 pm

yeh, i'd like to hear that too.

I once saw an article that was about how would the main OSs be if they were airlines. Windows was a cool airline with lots of plans and features for flying, modern airplanes, etc but it suddenly exploded at 15000 feet. Linux was an airline where every passenger brought his own set of tools and parts of the airplane, and everyone built a bit of it, but no-one really ended having what he expected; Mac OS had the best look and elegant airplanes, the cuttest airhostess, but you have just a couple of plans and possibilities, you couldn't do much on the plane, and please, could you just not ask anything an remain seated, sir? WE WILL DO WHAT WE THINK IS THE BEST FOR YOU!
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Hyperion

Post by Hyperion » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:04 pm

tomperson wrote:and please, could you just not ask anything an remain seated, sir? WE WILL DO WHAT WE THINK IS THE BEST FOR YOU!
"'Remain seated'? Yes sir?! Remain seated?? Yes sir!?"
I don't chat.

GaryTracks

Post by GaryTracks » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:10 pm

great one, glitch.

Ableton - love the instrument, though been a bit buggy, i move through it. I imagine Sampler will be the the same.

NI- i have Battery, love it, but: other than having great drum sounds, the interface works like shit. The more i think about how badly Battery works, i cannot imagine getting an even more complex product (Kontakt) from these guys.

it took them over a year to get a software update from them on Battery, for serious issues like NOT being able to save your own kit!

any other World Champs willing to take on Sampler?

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:49 pm

I own and use Kontakt 1.5 and Kontakt 2. I'm ordering sampler for 8 reasons:

1. I dislike NI generally and Sampler is close enough to Kontakt to replace it for me

2. Sampler is a UB now, Kontakt 2 will be "in October" meaning a half baked buggy version will be delayed till December and will be fully functional by next February when you have to pay for Kontakt 3 which fixes all the bugs introduced in the UB Kontakt 2.

3. I love all Ableton software - been doing this for 25 years and Live et al has been the only piece of software I have ever used that, when I am looking for a non-obvious way to do something, always has the ability to do it! And elegantly to boot. I am 100% satisfied. I expect Sampler to be just the same.

4.I dislike NI. I like their software when it works, it just never does and you have to rethink your strategy once you realize a bug fix is not forthcoming.

5. I love Ableton software.

6.I dislike NI.

7. I love Ableton software.

8. I dislike NI.
Cheers,
Steve da Sleeve
I c a r u s S o u n d

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:22 am

craw wrote:

round 1:
:D :D :D :D :D

Brilliant.

Whats your take on PC v Mac?
Thanks.

Regarding mac vs. PC, well, not sure about that one yet, as I only just bought parallels today to install windows on my macbook (need it for geographic database and mapping work - not for music!)

There was one important move which kontakt never pulled out in the fight though, and that is because every time he tries to use it, the wind-up takes too long, and it gets frustrating, and ends up not being worth the hassle. And that, ladies and gentlman is: ...drum roll... a slicer! (as stale bread cheers from the crowd...) BUT, it is said that kontakt will, in the near future, be trained with the same exact moves and deadly ease of execution of slicing as intakt, who retired of late from the ring. Although kontakt has already been trained in the ways of slicing, there are still a few areas of concern in the execution which prevent this feature from being used to its fullest by the mighty kontakt. Sampler doesn't slice, but doesn't really care, because he's got his possy of ableton warp modes watchin' his back. They all know that their crew could really use a dedicated slicer for the ongoing war with third-party sampling products though......

Me personally, I just make them all kiss and make up, and live together peacefully. And I also try not to play favorites so that nobody gets jealous.

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:30 am

ernene wrote:

round 1:

kontakt towers over sampler with an intimidating stare. sampler smirks defiantly up at kontakt from about it's waist.
... The covert operators have jumped the ropes, beating on kontakt, but it's not going down! Suddenly all kinds of third-party libraries have charged the ring, like exs24 instruments, mostly defending kontakt because they import better in that than in sampler. But now robert henke and various peripheral devices like the remote SL are in there, and it's a royal rumble! Crushing blows are going everywhere!

Sampler keeps throwing FM haymakers with morph filter dropkicks, and kontakt keeps pulling out multi-outs, scripts, and never-ending modulations!.....

...and the fight goes on....... and on........ and on........and on........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

loved that :!:
yep BRILLIANT! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gamebea

kontakt vs. sampler

Post by gamebea » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:42 am

glitchrock

you truly rock

that was excellent

Kontakt is feature rich but the interface can be cumbersome to me. Sapler is in keeping with Live's streamlined interface. Just depends what features you'll need most

wooly

Post by wooly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Highly entertaining stuff from glitch ;)

One thing he didnt mention that I think is the killer blow... that is ...unless i missed how to do this somewhere?

Sampler has no group keyswitching function

Kontakt can have keyswitched sample groups (if you look at the kontakt keyboard with keyswitched instrumentsthey are coloured pink) so you can switch over to say..e.g trills from legato in an 'all strings' type instrument.

If anyone thinks Im wrong id love to hear how this can be done :)

Also I noticed kontakt multis are loadable but Sampler only loads one kontakt instrument and not multiple intruments as it alludes that 'some other sample formats' might but as fars as ive noticed not kontakt

(the manual says "Note that some multisample files [why doesnt it say which ones??] will be converted to Instrument Rack presets that contain
several Sampler instances used to emulate the original more accurately.")

So using a kontakt keyswitched set is a no no and also you have to split your multis up and load them as separates into a rack.

Edit
Ok ill eat my words a bit.
Sampler has no keyswitch function BUT the switching can be assigned to chain select with a rotary ENCODER that can cycle through the options.

This still isnt ideal as you cant select ANY sample group but have to travel via the series.

Maybe if there was an option to have a key as a selector for each chain - an easy thing to do then this would provide parity with kontakt 2 keyswitch selections

W:)
Mobile setup = mac laptop OSx 10.5, Live 7 Tacscam US2400, Motu 828mk11

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:05 pm

I run a intel mac.
I wanted a multi-sampler
I went with SAMPLER.
I regret it because - it wont import my EXS patches because they all map a sample to the first note, C-2 - which produces a completely blank patch in SAMPLER, not an arsed up somehow messed up patch, but a completely blank patch.

In one word, SAMPLER is useless to me until this is fixed.
Shoulda spent my money on sweets instead

(that being said, me and SAMPLER will be good friends when this bug is fixed - praying to little baby jesus up in heaven that this comes with 6.0.4)
spreader of butter

wooly

Post by wooly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi
b0unce wrote:I run a intel mac.
I wanted a multi-sampler
I went with SAMPLER.
I regret it because - it wont import my EXS patches because they all map a sample to the first note, C-2 - which produces a completely blank patch in SAMPLER, not an arsed up somehow messed up patch, but a completely blank patch.

In one word, SAMPLER is useless to me until this is fixed.
Have you lloked at the sample converters out there. all of them convert exs into konatkt or akai etc?
W
Mobile setup = mac laptop OSx 10.5, Live 7 Tacscam US2400, Motu 828mk11

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:48 pm

thanks for this tip, I'm aware of these converters tho - and they cost more money

I suppose I shoulda bought one when I had money for spending recently, but I convinced myself ableton would have fixed this bug with 6.0.3 - especially since I reported it so early on, and they reproduced/confirmed it

also, it just seems like a waste of money, I'll convert my patches and that will be that, then fuckin 6.0.4 will come out and the bug will be fixed.

unless someone knows a free-ware exs->kontakt converter ?
spreader of butter

condra

Post by condra » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:35 pm

Im another Kontakt owner whos considering buying Sampler. Theres a guy here in Dublin selling his Sampler licence for a good price.

I find Kontakt frustrating to load up, and frustrating to use. I only use it when I really need to, and I suspect quite a few other people use it the same way - only when absolutely necessary, like when you need a multisampled piano, bass guitar or whatever.

Ive played with Sampler in demo mode, and I'm astonished at how quickly it loads up, and how fluid it is to use. That and the fact that is is (almost) perfectly integrated into Live must count for quite a lot.

Just for the record, Battery 3 pisses me off no end. Velocity layers for impulse Ableton. Yes please lads.